What's up with the traffic graph?

NoFcuksGiven

I've noticed that for the traffic graphs of some stories, there's this huge spike within that 30-day period in an otherwise flat graph line, despite having a fairly regular chapter release schedule. Now normally, I would expect stories to have a sharp increase shortly after a chapter's release, but some sharp increases seem to come out of nowhere. This increase of views of a particular story doesn't seem to coincide with the release of the chapters. It just seems strange to me. What do you guys think is the reason behind this?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I've noticed that for the traffic graphs of some stories, there's this huge spike within that 30-day period in an otherwise flat graph line, despite having a fairly regular chapter release schedule. Now normally, I would expect stories to have a sharp increase shortly after a chapter's release, but some sharp increases seem to come out of nowhere. This increase of views of a particular story doesn't seem to coincide with the release of the chapters. It just seems strange to me. What do you guys think is the reason behind this?
Could be that they got on trending at that time.

Dreyva

I have a huge spike on mine from tending a few days ago. Unfortunately it makes reading data from any other day nearly impossible :(

So yeah, I’m going to pile on with the others saying “trending”

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
Depends on the novel. Usually if there is a popular book that has a good amount of chapters for their story some readers will binge read a crap on a chapters. At that point that's just pure luck.

Dreyva

Yeah, but how does one get on trending in the first place? Are there any factors other than pure luck?
I’m convinced it’s luck, or rather there are too many factors to reasonably control since you can’t really account for what other stories get updates at the same time, and how popular those stories are when compared to yours.

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
Every some time since I started posting in Syosetu (the JP novel site, yes), I also got this weird spike of views. Prolly some algorithm 'advert' popping up on someone else's pc or phone, I dunno. But yes, it's a welcome event. 😁✌️

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Yeah, but how does one get on trending in the first place? Are there any factors other than pure luck?
The more visibility you have, the more chances you have to get on trending. There no info about the number and what influence it, but some authors here try to stockpile a lot of chapters before releasing a new story, and when they start it, they release one/two chapters each day for a month.

For me, the number who influence if you go on trending or not are views and number of readers set in a period of time. But it can also be sudden increase in your numbers, the numbers by itself don't have to be high, but if you go from 500 views 30 reader to 2 000 views, 60 readers in a day, it a sudden increase that might get you on trending, that often happen when a story on hiatus suddenly came back with a chapter months later.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
I get a small spike of views every time I go into the story to edit chapters or write the next one.

Then there's a real spike if I actually post one. Or if I tell people on the forum about my story. For some reason people actually do come from here quite often.