Why do people leave reviews after reading just the first chapter?

SternenklarenRitter

They may be like me, and read the whole thing without logging in. I sometimes log in to leave a review, but since I read as a lurker it only shows that I have read one chapter.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Basically, it's because it felt like enough.

If I read a story's first chapter and it bores me out of my mind, that's enough to drop the novel. The rest of the story doesn't matter, I was bored out of my mind from the very first chapter after all. That much is plenty.

So, if I wanted to leave a review on why I dropped the novel, I'd do it with one chapter because... Well, that's all that I read, really.

First 10min of any media are the most important ones, folks. Its from it that you hook your customers... Fail to hook them in 10min, you failed at the most important portion of your product.

For most people, if they aren't hooked quickly, they'll just leave the story and move on... Some other people will leave ratings, and some will rate and review... It happens. At the end of the day, all those people just felt disappointed by the story after the very first chapter, so they dropped it~

Le_ther

Mostly happens when people doesn't like a start but it's more of a bias review tbh

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Basically, it's because it felt like enough.

If I read a story's first chapter and it bores me out of my mind, that's enough to drop the novel. The rest of the story doesn't matter, I was bored out of my mind from the very first chapter after all. That much is plenty.

So, if I wanted to leave a review on why I dropped the novel, I'd do it with one chapter because... Well, that's all that I read, really.

First 10min of any media are the most important ones, folks. Its from it that you hook your customers... Fail to hook them in 10min, you failed at the most important portion of your product.

For most people, if they aren't hooked quickly, they'll just leave the story and move on... Some other people will leave ratings, and some will rate and review... It happens. At the end of the day, all those people just felt disappointed by the story after the very first chapter, so they dropped it~

But reviews are generally for other readers, not to give feedback to the author on a single chapter. That is usually what comments are for... it is pretty silly to leave a review of the first chapter cause others can just read the 1st chapter. More than likely a 1st chapter review would be disingenuous since you don't actually know what the story is about.

SailusGebel

But the first chapter would only allow you to see grammar and the premise of the story. Its like writing a review based on the back of a book.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Grammar and prose are one of the most crucial parts of the story. To a certain point, it's the most important part. It doesn't matter what kind of genius, ground-breaking idea you came up with if no one can understand it. And I didn't even mention that there can also be severe logical mistakes.

Wolfbane

I have no idea what you are talking about. Grammar and prose are one of the most crucial parts of the story. To a certain point, it's the most important part. It doesn't matter what kind of genius, ground-breaking idea you came up with if no one can understand it. And I didn't even mention that there can also be severe logical mistakes.
I agree that grammar is important to proberly convey a story but leaving a review after one chapter where that is the only thing you can truly judge feels disingenous. Saying that the grammar is bad and confusing and that is the reason you left the story is fair. I have left many stories because of bad grammar. But grammar is only one aspect of a story. I don't think the reivews should be a rating on grammar. At most grammar should either be a +-1 star from your final rating (unless its truly so atrocius that noone understands the author). So, if the story is good with well-developed characters in an interesting world, you might give it 5 stars, but the grammar is lacking you might detract it down a point, leaving the story with a final score of 4.

SailusGebel

I agree that grammar is important to proberly convey a story but leaving a review after one chapter where that is the only thing you can truly judge feels disingenous. Saying that the grammar is bad and confusing and that is the reason you left the story is fair. I have left many stories because of bad grammar. But grammar is only one aspect of a story. I don't think the reivews should be a rating on grammar. At most grammar should either be a +-1 star from your final rating (unless its truly so atrocius that noone understands the author). So, if the story is good with well-developed characters in an interesting world, you might give it 5 stars, but the grammar is lacking you might detract it down a point, leaving the story with a final score of 4.
There is nothing disingenuous in leaving a review and saying that grammar sucks. And you completely ignored my point about logical mistakes, but the most important thing you ignored was prose. If you think that shit prose deserves the same rating as good prose as long as both are grammatically correct, you are wrong.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
But reviews are generally for other readers, not to give feedback to the author on a single chapter. That is usually what comments are for... it is pretty silly to leave a review of the first chapter cause others can just read the 1st chapter. More than likely a 1st chapter review would be disingenuous since you don't actually know what the story is about.
If a reader looks at a first chapter review and thinks it is enough to convince them to not read the novel, then the review did its job.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
One day I'll write (period!) a first chapter that is perfect in writing style, grammar and everything else only to stage dive everything down to kindergarten levels from the second one on. :blob_thor::blob_thor::blob_thor::devilish::devilish::devilish:

Kenjona

One day I'll write (period!) a first chapter that is perfect in writing style, grammar and everything else only to stage dive everything down to kindergarten levels from the second one on. :blob_thor::blob_thor::blob_thor::devilish::devilish::devilish:
Its been done. But have fun with it.