Woe is me.(Or is it I)

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
Anyways today after getting abused by a cow, a horse riding bastard, a drunk bastard and a spear wielding bastard in Sekiro(seriously shadows don't die only twice I've already lost count).

Anyway with my rage and frustration fueling me i wrote out 2k words in a couple of hours( like two actually but it's a rough draft) but now editing is also abusing me to the point that I feel like I actually miss getting abused by that game.

So what I'm asking is, how do you all find the motivation to put in 3 hours or more for editing and maybe some editing tips to cut down that time by a lot(like a lot)

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Anyways today after getting abused by a cow, a horse riding bastard, a drunk bastard and a spear wielding bastard in Sekiro(seriously shadows don't die only twice I've already lost count).

Anyway with my rage and frustration fueling me i wrote out 2k words in a couple of hours( like two actually but it's a rough draft) but now editing is also abusing me to the point that I feel like I actually miss getting abused by that game.

So what I'm asking is, how do you all find the motivation to put in 3 hours or more for editing and maybe some editing tips to cut down that time by a lot(like a lot)
Reminded me of why I don't play a lot of skill based games. I lack... skill.
Anyway, I must admit I'm a user of DeepL to edit for the first time. It takes out some of the mistakes and I use it like a Thesaurus. Go through it, accept or don't accept the choices made and when I, on my own, just don't like a sentence, I can more easily look for words to replace the once I used before. It's basically like looking for a fitting word an googling everytime you need another synonym for Dickhead.
After that, and I speak from experience, it's better to not edit anything for quite a while. That't the reason a publisher uses editors and several correctors on one book, because once you have read it, it's easier to overlook things the second time. You need to have time to "forget" a bit and since you wrote it yourself, I advise you to wait several months for a clearer eye.

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
Reminded me of why I don't play a lot of skill based games. I lack... skill.
Anyway, I must admit I'm a user of DeepL to edit for the first time. It takes out some of the mistakes and I use it like a Thesaurus. Go through it, accept or don't accept the choices made and when I, on my own, just don't like a sentence, I can more easily look for words to replace the once I used before. It's basically like looking for a fitting word an googling everytime you need another synonym for Dickhead.
After that, and I speak from experience, it's better to not edit anything for quite a while. That't the reason a publisher uses editors and several correctors on one book, because once you have read it, it's easier to overlook things the second time. You need to have time to "forget" a bit and since you wrote it yourself, I advise you to wait several months for a clearer eye.
I'll wait a couple of days then. You don't understand how much your words appeal to my procrastinator side( which is basically 80% of me)

Insomniologist

Nemurenu Kyōfu
Honestly, editing has always been the easiest part for me.
After all, it takes a lot less time when one of your defining characteristics is being hellbent on correcting everyone’s grammatical errors.
I can count the number of mistakes I’ve missed until the editing phase on one hand. (That’s four, if you’re wondering. The number is quite a bit more if you include it’s and its and its’. Despite my mastery, even I screw that up.)
TL;DR Just don’t make the mistakes in the first place. I’m sorry, there’s just no other way. /j

greyliliy

I have two processes.

For finished novels I'm preparing for publishing, I mark up hard copies. The change in format makes it easier to catch things. I invested in an eink tablet to save on paper and it has been a good system (ideally I'd have an proper editor, but that involves $$).

For the stuff I'm posting here, I write by hand and edit as I type it. Then I do a quick check for typos, inevitably miss something, and fix it later. It's more writing for fun/sharing first drafts than anything else.

That and proper, deep story edits usually require a finished draft since it requires the entire picture. My serial fiction is being posted as I write. Lol.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Skill issue, git gud.
Even more, git gud.
Once I pop an idea, I always gets motivated to complete a chap. That's mine. Try asking the elders of the site for tips.

J_Chemist

Sylver

On my first draft I had an editor. But now in my second draft, I'm going solo. Personal stuff came up so my editor wasn't able to help this time, understandable.

Hmm, I would advise the easy and efficient route is to hire an editor for you, someone to read and revise your work for grammatical errors and inconsistencies. This is the expensive approach unless you have a friend who can do it for you for free.

As for motivation, you do it because you like it. Writing can be a stressful and tiring process if you continue to look for high views, raising your reader count and looking for feedback. My story reached 90 chapters and I still don't have a review. But that's okay, because over time I learned to just enjoy writing the story I want to tell. Make a schedule to organize yourself and adapt into a writing mood over time. Do that when you have the time and try it out for a few weeks to see if it works. Writing isn't for everyone so it's okay if you decide it isn't for you.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
I'll wait a couple of days then. You don't understand how much your words appeal to my procrastinator side( which is basically 80% of me)
I understand that, but waiting is important. Only then can you come in with a fresh mind. Not waiting will render your editing process pointless.