Worm: Have you read it?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Ok, I think we might have a confusion in terminology. You just alternatingly used the terms "arc" and "act." When I say "act," I mean in the style of a 3-act play. I'm talking the final 1/3 of the story in it's entirety.

The 1st ACT would be story arcs 1-8. The 2nd act is arcs 9-17. The 3rd act is arcs 20-30. (You will notice I left arcs 18 and 19 out. This is because they are in a bit of a strange transition period where they could just as easily fit the theme of the 2nd or the 3rd act, and I'm really not sure how to categorize them. Arcs 18 and 19 have the same degree of horror and death as the arcs of the 2nd act, but they also have something of that beginning air of vindication and pulling back the veil of the 3rd act. So, I really don't know whether to call them the climactic finish to the 2nd act (because arc 17 really does manage to feel like a pretty good cap-stone to the 2nd act as it is) or the point where they're just managing to pull themselves out of the muck and into the 3rd act, but still pretty ugly looking because the climb is only just starting.)

Also, if you only made it up to the 3rd arc, then... yeah, maybe Worm really isn't for you, because it's the 2nd act, arcs 9-18, where it gets REALLY freaking dark. If you were already feeling it having not even finished the 1st act yet, I'd say you're not going to make it through the 2nd act at all.
I haven't read Worm. I have heard it is messed up. How much worse is it than something like Re: Zero?

Succubiome

Ok, I think we might have a confusion in terminology. You just alternatingly used the terms "arc" and "act." When I say "act," I mean in the style of a 3-act play. I'm talking the final 1/3 of the story in it's entirety.

The 1st ACT would be story arcs 1-8. The 2nd act is arcs 9-17. The 3rd act is arcs 20-30. (You will notice I left arcs 18 and 19 out. This is because they are in a bit of a strange transition period where they could just as easily fit the theme of the 2nd or the 3rd act, and I'm really not sure how to categorize them. Arcs 18 and 19 have the same degree of horror and death as the arcs of the 2nd act, but they also have something of that beginning air of vindication and pulling back the veil of the 3rd act. So, I really don't know whether to call them the climactic finish to the 2nd act (because arc 17 really does manage to feel like a pretty good cap-stone to the 2nd act as it is) or the point where they're just managing to pull themselves out of the muck and into the 3rd act, but still pretty ugly looking because the climb is only just starting.)

Also, if you only made it up to the 3rd arc, then... yeah, maybe Worm really isn't for you, because it's the 2nd act, arcs 9-18, where it gets REALLY freaking dark. If you were already feeling it having not even finished the 1st act yet, I'd say you're not going to make it through the 2nd act at all.
No, I meant 3rd act, as I had thought you classified it? Definitely after... Okay, back to spoilers.

I read pretty far past Coil's death. Apocalyptic entities from beyond spacetime were destroying the world, and the remnants of humanity were fighting back as best they could, and I think they had gone through a portal to another world as a temporary means of escape or something, and it looked like it was just going to be more war with supernatural entities, and I was like "that's enough, I'm good, thank you".

And I found that part way more dark/depressing than anything had happened before That Incident.

Jemini

I haven't read Worm. I have heard it is messed up. How much worse is it than something like Re: Zero?

Oh... for that, I would say the 1st act is like Re: Zero without the hope. The 2nd act makes Re: Zero cry and hide in a corner mumbling incoherent things as it slowly looses it's sanity, and the 3rd act is basically at the exact same level as Re: Zero.

The 2nd act is where Worm is at it's absolute worst in the messed-up department. It is written in a way that seems like it's designed to severely traumatize the reader, and then the 3rd act is there to heal the reader's trauma right before it throws world-ending monsters at you.

EDIT: Yes, that's how messed up Worm gets. The final 1/3 of the story which I described as being at the exact same level as Re: Zero for how bad gets is the portion of the story that's there to HEAL the trauma that the previous acts inflicted on you.
No, I meant 3rd act, as I had thought you classified it? Definitely after... Okay, back to spoilers.

I read pretty far past Coil's death. Apocalyptic entities from beyond spacetime were destroying the world, and the remnants of humanity were fighting back as best they could, and I think they had gone through a portal to another world as a temporary means of escape or something, and it looked like it was just going to be more war with supernatural entities, and I was like "that's enough, I'm good, thank you".

And I found that part way more dark/depressing than anything had happened before That Incident.

It sounds like you were just about at the end. Kinda a shame to stop right there. Or were you reading it as it was originally being written and couldn't see just how close to the end you were?

Succubiome

It sounds like you were just about at the end. Kinda a shame to stop right there. Or were you reading it as it was originally being written and couldn't see just how close to the end you were?
Don't recall, I just recall feeling done with it. There was the 'next chapter' button, and I didn't wanna click, so I didn't!