Worried about loosing my Readers

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I write because I want to write.

Fair enough, I just said it's a way to deal with the negative feelings associated with losing readers which is OP's concern (using logic as a band-aid on feelings).

If the public deems it not good enough, then I'll just stop writing. I'm a hobbyist not a career writer.
It's a radical way to deal with losing readers but it certainly works 100%.

ForestDweller

It's a radical way to deal with losing readers but it certainly works 100%.

Possibly exception being if you got a Patreon where your readers actually pay to read your work. I have one now and even though it's still nowhere near as profitable as the big authors around here, I do feel that obligation to write from them.

But if you're doing it for free, then do whatever the hell you want.

Wintertime

King of Nothing
Your reader's opinion of your work comes hand in hand with your own perceived ability. Don't care too much about the masses, but have a few friends or close confidante's you can talk to about your work. They will be loads more useful in understanding what you're doing right or wrong from a reader's perspective.

People will say, "I write because I want to write and I don't care about what others think about my work." This is wrong. You, as the author, have to carry your readers to the utmost pinnacle of your work. It doesn't matter if your diction is bad, or the premise of your story is dumb, as long as the readers love it, then none of that matters in the end. Even if you're a hobbyist or a full-time writer, having that mentality of bringing your storytelling capabilities to the forefront rather than making excuses about it will not only help in your book-writing, but future career's in general.

I suggest you read more books about your favourite topics. I suggest you listen to your favourite authors, do research on character development, or just go outside and experience some interesting things. They will give you a good template for which you can improve on, and also help you understand what readers want from your characters.

Last edited:
Your reader's opinion of your work comes hand in hand with your own perceived ability. Don't care too much about the masses, but have a few friends or close confidante's you can talk to about your work. They will be loads more useful in understanding what you're doing right or wrong from a reader's perspective.

People will say, "I write because I want to write and I don't care about what others think about my work." This is wrong. You, as the author, have to carry your readers to the utmost pinnacle of your work. It doesn't matter if your diction is bad, or the premise of your story is dumb, as long as the readers love it, then none of that matters in the end. Even if you're a hobbyist or a full-time writer, having that mentality of bringing your storytelling capabilities to the forefront rather than making excuses about it will not only help in your book-writing, but future career's in general.

I suggest you read more books about your favourite topics. I suggest you listen to your favourite authors, do research on character development, or just go outside and experience some interesting things. They will give you a good template for which you can improve on, and also help you understand what readers want from your characters.
Very true words, kind and motivational even. I agree with most of your points. Thanks for commenting!