Writing doesn’t bring joy anymore

As is in title, except it’s not some writer’s block. I think those usually go away at some point whereas mine just kind of is for the past 3 years.

I remember having these hits of inspiration, where I’d watch something and be like I’m so excited this is amazing, I have to write something similar. And then I would write, and at some point leave it unfinished with just a few thousand words, but at least I had fun. Even something as simple as watching the trees go by when I was in a car on a passenger seat was enough to give me some inspiration to write something.

I still get ideas sometimes. I still write sometimes. But it’s more a repetitive work and not something for me to enjoy.

I wondered a lot about what could be causing this. I’ve been thinking maybe it’s my depression, maybe me at some point thinking that it’s pointless cause I won’t buy food from writing, maybe it’s me trying to write stuff that I didn’t exactly enjoy (because these are more popular and have a bigger chance of finding an audience). Some I didn’t even publish because I hated it. I don’t even like writing in English, but I did because I wanted to get people to read my stuff at some point, and there is a bigger audience in English. Also I think reading too many guides on writing hurt my enjoyment of the process.

But overall, I’m not sure.

What do?

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
Sounds to me like you're burned out, maybe. Whenever I have moments like that I just stop and go do something else. Engage a different parts of your brain. Read, play games, watch a movie/tv show, etc.

Also, like others said, you can just focus on writing the way you like and for yourself only. You can ignore everything and just think of a unrelated scene and try to write it down, just one scene. It doesn't have to be good, it's for you only.

prognastat

Unless you are living off income you make writing it really isn't that big of a deal and I'd say just write what and when you feel like it.

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
Just the fact that you are writing this post implies that even if you think you have let go of writing, writing is still far from done with you.

I have had occasionally bouts of very long dry periods of my own, though they are rarely a product of a lack of inspiration so I don't reckon they are relevant here.

Indeed depression can be a major reason for your lack of interest, but coming to hasty conclusions would not solve the problem in the long term.

What I reckon is that you should take a good break, of a month or two perhaps, and just let your brain revitalize. If possible, go on a vacation or something and forget everything about writing or whatever else may be worrying you.

Even if during this period you feel the urge to write, forego it. Although it won't be a bad practice to jot down what inspirations and ideas, if any, you get during this time so as to not forget them.

Try to diversify the media you consume, try listening to songs of a new genre or dip your toes into media you otherwise wouldn't watch. Like movies from different countries or obscene anime.

I would say one thing with certainty, and I say only a very few things with absolute certainty, while it may be a good practice to modify one's work in accordance to the platter of the audience, it is also a surefire way of killing creativity and personal incentive. Just don't do it unless you are sure about what you want and what you are doing.

Build an audience around your true work instead of seeking to please those who wouldn't otherwise appreciate your original work.

Many people in this world, we share the same experiences with different interpretations. With enough patience you will eventually find a base audience catering to your specific interpretations and they will be the ones who will help you find yourself, even if they won't be a large group.

You still want to write. Writing hasn't given up on you. Neither have you. It's a beautiful thing, keep doing it.

DM or link me some of your stuff if you don't mind, I will give it a read :).

J_Chemist

Emotions and desires are as fleeting as a fresh spring breeze. One day you enjoy sitting on a porch, watching and listening to birds. The next, you enjoy being tied down to a bed and you have a safe word that you're hoping to not forget.

If writing is something you actually enjoy and like, then find ways to encourage yourself to do it and find ways that make it fun for you. We all have different reasons for liking and we all like it for different reasons. Some enjoy the grind, others enjoy listening to music and just vibing. Others enjoy it as a job.

Havjng fun and enjoying your hobby is what matters, but it's not for everyone. Maybe you've moved on and writing just isn't your thing anymore. It's fine. Shit happens.

Maybe hardcore BDSM is what you're actually into and writing was just a cover story.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Do the thing that brings you joy. If that isn't writing, then so be it.

Why did you enjoy writing?
Did it accomplish something you wanted? Money, prestige, expression?
Did it give you an opportunity to engage with people or subjects that interested you?

Maybe skip the middleman. Figure out what you really want out of writing, and find an easier way.
And if writing itself is what you want, then comes the hard part.

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
As is in title, except it’s not some writer’s block. I think those usually go away at some point whereas mine just kind of is for the past 3 years.

I remember having these hits of inspiration, where I’d watch something and be like I’m so excited this is amazing, I have to write something similar. And then I would write, and at some point leave it unfinished with just a few thousand words, but at least I had fun. Even something as simple as watching the trees go by when I was in a car on a passenger seat was enough to give me some inspiration to write something.

I still get ideas sometimes. I still write sometimes. But it’s more a repetitive work and not something for me to enjoy.

I wondered a lot about what could be causing this. I’ve been thinking maybe it’s my depression, maybe me at some point thinking that it’s pointless cause I won’t buy food from writing, maybe it’s me trying to write stuff that I didn’t exactly enjoy (because these are more popular and have a bigger chance of finding an audience). Some I didn’t even publish because I hated it. I don’t even like writing in English, but I did because I wanted to get people to read my stuff at some point, and there is a bigger audience in English. Also I think reading too many guides on writing hurt my enjoyment of the process.

What do?
First time?

Seriously now:

Write only things you'd like to read.
Don't expect anything out of your readers.
Put yourself through challenges.
Don't try to write to length.

All writing advice is bullshit, including mine.

Happy writing!

It is that simple.

Redemit

Go camping get out of your house and city and reconnect with nature do some intense physical labor exhaust body and "meditate" to clear your mind and then eat a good meal and rest

Or something similar to change up you routine in a drastic way that you'll enjoy

I don't know if it will inspire you but it will up lift your spirit

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
First time?

Seriously now:

Happy writing!

It is that simple.
This. There's so much "writing advice" out there that you may end up feeling overwhelmed at times. It's happened to me before. Writing is a craft at the end of the day, so I won't tell you to ignore everything, but the best advice I ever heard and still follow to this day is: just write. The more you write, the better you get at writing. And, as others have already said, writing for yourself first is the best way to enjoy writing.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
First time?

Seriously now:

Happy writing!

It is that simple.
Except for my writing advice!

*laughs in no chapter in 10 days*

HeavenlyKillerStar

idk man really i dont know good luck tho maybe hardcore bdsm is really what u wanted all along or something

MisterEnigmatic

What do?
Sounds like you have a serious case of burn-out. It's best you don't try and force yourself to put something to paper and just let it come back to you naturally.

You'll be able to tell when that desire returns, and if it never does, there's always a chance to find something else.