Writing Writing in 2nd person is kinda fun

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
So we all know that most stories are written in 1st or 3rd perspective. I'm dabbling in 2nd, and I have to say, it's kind of fun. It's a unique twist on what I normally write. It's like each chapter is a long drawn out GM statement from a TTRPG (I'm the GM of my group, usually).

That's it. Just that I'm enjoying writing in 2nd a lot more than I thought I would.

But still, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on the matter. Would you consider it or no? Do you have experience with it? If so, what was yours like?

SPS4

You admire John_Owl's ability to enjoy writing in second person point of view, since it was always something you had trouble with. You find having to keep a quasi-third person view on yourself while also combining that with you're own first person perspective on the environment difficult. Heck, even just writing this short post needed a few pauses because you had to organize you thoughts.

From the very little tabletop style videos you've seen, you can see how having that experience would greatly help with writing in second person. Too bad you've never got into that stuff when you were younger. It probably would have made Baldur's Gate an easier game for you to understand. Maybe it is finally time for you to pick up D&D.

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain
So we all know that most stories are written in 1st or 3rd perspective. I'm dabbling in 2nd, and I have to say, it's kind of fun. It's a unique twist on what I normally write. It's like each chapter is a long drawn out GM statement from a TTRPG (I'm the GM of my group, usually).

That's it. Just that I'm enjoying writing in 2nd a lot more than I thought I would.

But still, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on the matter. Would you consider it or no? Do you have experience with it? If so, what was yours like?
I see it as better suited for interactive storytelling (where you are presented with choices that change the story) or experimental writing. An entire novel written in the second person seems heavy to me.
I would use it as a way of speaking for a character who wants to simulate a GM.

diosnpckim

I write fanfics on my old account (I experimented a lot when writing for it- different perspectives, like an alternate universe, etc.). It is indeed fun ngl and makes it more personal and personalized for the reader (according to them).

Sometimes, I catch myself describing myself, that damn Freudian slip hahaha. So I typed it out and went back to writing and rewriting it, making it diverse and lots of rereading and editing. That's the only thing that annoys me.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I see it as better suited for interactive storytelling (where you are presented with choices that change the story) or experimental writing. An entire novel written in the second person seems heavy to me.
I would use it as a way of speaking for a character who wants to simulate a GM.
That's kind of what I'm doing. Reader interactive via poll options. one chapter per week, with a 4 day poll.