Writing Writing in first person vs. third person

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
I write more in the 3rd pov, it's easier for me to write and build the surrounding scenes around him. While for 1st pov it a lot more difficult because you have to go more in-depth into the character thought and analysis.

but, it more of a preference of which one you want to use and how comfortable are you when using it.

klazy-labbit

Well I have only written in first pov till now as I want to showcase my character's thoughts more. I did try third person writing but I felt that you can't relate as much with the mc and it works only if you are writing a book where world details are important and Mc is ignorant of many things.

DubstheDuke

The fact of the matter is, if you want to write from 1st person you can by all means- but this means that you cannot deviate from the main character, unless you do the thing where you have a section where you are writing from the perspective of a different character once in a while, which is not a bad thing imo.

Either way, I sorta write 'first person from a third person perspective' and by that I mean, I write in third person, however I usually write in a certain tone depending on the character I am focusing on. Sometimes I just write from the perspective of the narrator, however often I find myself writing the perceptions and thoughts of a certain character. For example, if the character I am focusing on doesn't know the name of another person then I might not mention that name in my writing and instead refer to them in the way that the character of focus would see them.

I find that writing 3rd person allows me to jump all over the world. I can show scenes with the villains across the world, or I can show scenes with all sorts of different characters. Furthermore, I can still show their thoughts and perspectives in this 3rd person writing, so I see no true benefit to writing in first person.

Stratothrax

1st person is much easier for plantsing and pantsing and its not even close.

You only have to be aware of one perspective so you can hide a lot of writing flaws by simply having the character gloss over it and It's also conducive to stream of thought as your thinking matches the characters.

Stratothrax

"1st person is better for smut genre"

Is it though? Like I've written in both and I find 3rd person better for it because you can describe things outside of the 1st person characters perception like what their partner is feeling. Same with gratuitous descriptions than might sound odd as a 1st person character perceiving, or is something simply not in their line of sight, but work as an all seeing 3rd person narrator

Last edited:

Joshimitsu

I've only ever written in third person and don't plan on changing. I just much prefer stories that are written that way. never really been a fan of first person.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Which is easier? I used to write in first person when I was younger since I thought that would be easier, but after working on 2 stories, one in third person and another in first person, I'm finding third person is better. With third person, at least for me, I can do a better job at world building, while in first person it's easy to forget including details that the main character won't know about, that I as the author, know.

Which one do you guys prefer more?
I also prefer the third or first person. Use the voice you're more comfortable with. Write details and reread your work to perfection lest you forget how the plot moves.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
I found that 1st person is easier for immersion; 3rd person is easier for world building.