YT Docu-Series about Web Fiction (includes LitRPG, RoyalRoad, etc...) [Looking for Contributors]

DarkWe

I'm going to be brief and get straight to the point.

I'm Mike, I've been writing webfiction since 2018 and ever since I began my writing journey, I've been intrigued about the history of Web Fiction. Topics like: "Where did it start?", "Which platforms were early adopters?", and "Which Web Fiction authors rose to fame?" are always on my mind.

So, I wondered if it'd be cool if we could make a multi-part YouTube Docu Series on the Rise of Web Fiction. Topics like: The Rise and Fall of WuxiaWorld, What happened to Gravity Tales?, The Legends of RoyalRoad, etc...

I can't do this by myself, especially with my workload. That's why I'm thinking of assembling a team of authors and readers from our community to dive deep into this.

Ideally, we'd have two teams: one for research and another for scripting the first episode. I value everyone's time, so here's my offer:

• $300 (can be increased if needed) split among a currently undecided number of authors willing to write a 2000-ish word script. We're telling a story here, so it should read as one. We'd have a Hook, Intro, Content, ... the usual Youtube scripting format.
  • All profit from the video will be evenly split among everyone who contributed significantly to the project. We'll decide which part of Web Fiction to focus on first by using a popularity poll. Same goes for deciding who contributed significantly. I myself will not take any profit from this, I'll just serve as its glorified project manager.
  • The video will be on the MoonQuill YouTube channel. This isn't about profit, but preserving a piece of internet history. I think a high-quality Docu Series would attract even those who aren't currently into Web Fiction. I repeat, MoonQuill will not profit from this, we'd only break-even (production costs for video editing & scriptwriting).
  • Everyone who contributed will be credited at the end of the video (and if they're authors, I'll mention their series next to their names in the credits).
  • If we take footage from youtubers like Madix (CritRPG Podcast) for a part about "LitRPG or RoyalRoad" then we'd obviously credit those as well in the video, end scene credits & description.
  • This series will be as unbiased and factual as we can possibly get it.
If you want to be part of this, then fill out this form.

Let's create something awesome together.

Temple

I started writing on RR around 2015 and have been reading web fiction even earlier than that. I have in my memory things I don't want to be lost through time. :blob_hide: I was there when The Group was around RR and shaped it into the elitist place it eventually became. I was there before LitRPG became the mainstay of RR (even though RRL started as a translating site for Moonlight Sculptor.) Oh, I was even there before Wuxiaworld asked for donations to translate. I was there when Inkkit tried to compete with RRL but just degenerated to a wattpad clone, lol.

But you have to find the true dinosaurs because you'll probably start with Rise and Fall of fictionpress. There was also that forums where people used post wuxia translations that predates wuxiaworld, I just can't recall it.

DarkWe

who have you interviewed so far?

or who will you be reaching out to?
Several Ex Translators from WuxiaWorld, CritRPGPodcast, RR Authors, etc.
I started writing on RR around 2015 and have been reading web fiction even earlier than that. I have in my memory things I don't want to be lost through time. :blob_hide: I was there when The Group was around RR and shaped it into the elitist place it eventually became. I was there before LitRPG became the mainstay of RR (even though RRL started as a translating site for Moonlight Sculptor.) Oh, I was even there before Wuxiaworld asked for donations to translate. I was there when Inkkit tried to compete with RRL but just degenerated to a wattpad clone, lol.

But you have to find the true dinosaurs because you'll probably start with Rise and Fall of fictionpress. There was also that forums where people used post wuxia translations that predates wuxiaworld, I just can't recall it.
Wowie! If you want to join our discord group as a 3rd party we can verify information with, hmu.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
The early days of RR, back when it was just a shitty web forum before the redesign of the site, would be a pretty interesting time to cover.

D

Deleted member 133647

Don't have discord and don't plan to cuz of IP leaking stuff that happened on there. Is there a way to still join in?

melchi

What is a custom title?
I mean way back people would just post stuff on blogs or deviant art.

Though I think a lot of the video game stuff was popular in Japan way before webnovels had much of a market.
Like when was magic knight Ray Earth released?

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
You want to know about web fiction? I can assure you that it was never in any of the sites that you have written in your title.
I have been reading "web" novels since 2000s, and it used to be very dispersed back then. It was dispersed for a reason. Back then, people used to use IRC to distribute their stuff.
People would share their own stuff in relay chats, along with their translations of material and everything else. The internet in the 90s was also a very different place from what you know these days. The search engine back then were very primitive, to say the least, to non-existent.
To find the origins of webnovels is probably to look for the origin of fanfiction, and I know there were quite a few big sites of fanfictions way before RR that went down the drain due to DRM and other stuff...

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
You want to know about web fiction? I can assure you that it was never in any of the sites that you have written in your title.
I have been reading "web" novels since 2000s, and it used to be very dispersed back then. It was dispersed for a reason. Back then, people used to use IRC to distribute their stuff.
People would share their own stuff in relay chats, along with their translations of material and everything else. The internet in the 90s was also a very different place from what you know these days. The search engine back then were very primitive, to say the least, to non-existent.
To find the origins of webnovels is probably to look for the origin of fanfiction, and I know there were quite a few big sites of fanfictions way before RR that went down the drain due to DRM and other stuff...
People write fanfiction on RR?