Can positivity be toxic?

Leti

It's a big problem in the pandemic. People keep asking me to smile more, but I wear mask. What's the point of smiling if no one can see it? What's the point of smiling if it doesn't change what you feel on the inside?

DubstheDuke

I've always found positivity to be somewhat toxic, in that it gives people false hopes only to let them down, or prevent them from seeing the reality of the situation while they live in their own fantasy. Some people may say it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile, but it takes 0 muscles to not make an expression.

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
It's a big problem in the pandemic. People keep asking me to smile more, but I wear mask. What's the point of smiling if no one can see it? What's the point of smiling if it doesn't change what you feel on the inside?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Tell them to fuck off. Simple.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Have you watched Joker? Don't force yourself lest you become crazy. Don't bottle things up or wear the metaphorical mask, doing so makes you a powder keg ready to explode at any time. Be sad when you're sad. Smile when you feel like it. Express yourself base on what you feel rather than what others tell you. Be you.

Michuyu

I've heard that smiling does trick the brain to make you feel better. However, it's none of people's business what expression you choose to make. Just ignore them and go about your day. You don't owe them anything at all.

DreamOfRen

Of course.
Its called enabling. Giving people constant positive prompts, even when they are clearly wrong.
Agreeing with people based on status instead of merit or logic.

These are all examples of false "positives" that feed negative behavior. Its how raging narcissists and entitled people are created.

That being said, smiling for the sake of smiling? There's science behind it.
It releases chemicals which actually make you feel better.

dvelasquez

Positivity can be toxic... You know the people that always go telling everyone "Do what you want! You can! If you try enough you'll get it!? Well... That's toxic.

And the same with the: "Be happy! Don't be depressed, smile more! Go out more!". And while sometimes smiling and going out of the house can help, it's not EVERY time. And also, what works on someone, don't always have to work on everyone. And that's what people don't get... They think they're being empathic, but they are just thinking that their way could work to your problems when they don't try to be in your place first.

All in all, I think that trying to make other people feel any way that they don't want or don't feel, is toxic. Positivity included. I agree with you there. You don't have to be happy all the time, even

TotallyHuman

Ofc positivity can be toxic. Also, why bother smiling if you don't want to? It's your business what expression to make and if you feel like smiling isn't for you, then that should answer the question

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
Smile when you want to,
Cry whenever it's needed,
Toxin is consumed.

Schwab

No, I don't think positivity, in general, can be toxic. I think positivity, where it doesn't belong, can be toxic. People can't always be happy or outgoing and forcing that on them really just gets you the opposite effect.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Positivity is annoying when you're actually depressed. Don't fake it unless it actually matters, which it usually doesn't.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Its called enabling. Giving people constant positive prompts, even when they are clearly wrong.
like all the "fat acceptance movement" crap telling people that 'it's ok to be morbidly, unhealthily obese because it's your body and people who think you should lose weight are evil and discriminatory'. like... :blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm:

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I feel like toxic positivity doesn't exist but there are people who FORCE you to be positive to be toxic. Not everyone can live the same life and be happy about it so you don't dictate someone's life just so you can flex on something. One would always be thinking more outside their view to see what they need not they lack.

Its especially here which are more into the topic of positive toxicity are more common as people here could be seen to be more forceful to others in trying to make them positive.

Just smile so you feel good? How can they smile properly after their mother died on their birthday and their father left them for another woman?

Its not you can't have friends? Did you experience living a life of a person who tried to have friends and ended up ruining them and thinking they can easily make friends again?

Don't act all edgy just some bad thing happened to you? Excuse me? Did you not see that you almost died and cause someone to be in the same predictament to you and you blatantly told them that it was just fine? What kind of saint are you?

Yeah. What people call them. Saints. The very definition of Positive Toxicity. You can be nice, motivate them or even help them but never, ever force your ideals to someone if you don't know them well enough.

D

Deleted member 29316

Yes, toxic positivity happens when someone dismisses your concern in favor of "Smile and be positive". It's like, look, we haven't even deal with the problem, and I should already smile? That's ridiculous.

One should acknowledge the problem first, then find solutions, and encourage the individual, if one wants to be the 'real' positive.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
Insensitivity not positivity. If someone forces you to smile despite what you feel inside that's called being insensitive. A positive person don't just shower you with rainbow farts, first they have to learn to listen. Some people tend to dismiss what they see and hear covering it up, acting like everything's okay when it is not. Understanding and acceptance to the situation should come first.

Find people who are good listeners.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Is positivity toxic? Just look up all those stupid ass posts about people pissing and moaning about 1-stars. You'll notice how they have mostly 5-stars deserved or not....and then those sudden 1-stars just cause them to have literal meltdowns in the forums. There's your answer.