Writing How do I properly portray autism in a characte and where do I even start researching this shit like god damn I can't fuck this up this shit's volatile

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Yeah bet you didn't expect this guy to make this kind of a thread

So I've decided to start planning for a new story, and the main character's gonna have- you know what, if the title didn't clue you in the first place, you're probably not gonna bother reading the rest.

The theme of the story is gonna be heavy with alienation and detachment from reality. The idea is that I want to present a blank slate of a character to an alien world. The character does not know of the culture nor the social norms of the place, and tries his absolute best to fit into it.

The problem, however, is that the principles don't always fit. Somehow the bad guys always get away, or the hero never seems to be cheered on for. You always feel like you're a step closer to understanding something when it completely gets swept from under your feet and now you're the villain, all of the sudden. You're either seen as a lunatic or a psycho who's best form of relationship with anyone is long distance and nothing else. Everything that makes sense doesn't and everything that doesn't does to others.

Above is what I want to depict, and not just on a regular basis. I want to display that struggle through, for the lack of a better phrase, a mental handicap. There's no better way to display the detachment and separation from the world you share the same reality with than through the eyes of someone unable to catch nuance and subtlety.

Of course, it doesn't just serve one direction. Most of the time, subtleties hide dark underbellies whereas a simple, unfiltered gaze would see the truth for what it's worth beyond the proverbial shrubbery.

Look, it's sounding more abstract by the moment so let me wrap this up: the ultimate goal for having an autistic main character is so that I could depict hypocrisy and socially-approved deceit of the world through open condemnation and confusion from the main character's part.

So why did I tell you all this? Well, so I could give you a reasoning behind all this, because touching on any topics regarding mental handicaps is a god damn taboo and a social landmine UNLESS you do it well and perfect, and this is why I made this thread in the first place. I need to know how to correctly depict it without falling over the obvious TV drama troupes (cutesy quirks, ULTRA FUCKEN SMART HOLY SHIT HE'S A GENIUS, awkward convos uwu) because I know they don't work like that. I want to depict legitimate issues with social cues and situations, not just "normal lad with autism symptoms".

And I'm not just talking about simple Asperger's. The autistic disorder kind, where it sits on the more extreme side, just to push that isolation further into the theme of the story. How do I avoid setting off landmines, and where do I even begin? My understanding comes from WebMD and a literal dead end. Is there a list of things I should avoid writing, or a PSA out there that could clear things up a little bit. Maybe a website or a community? I don't know. Either I accidentally pegged Google's husband or I'm doing something wrong because my searches either yield bare surface level information or contradictions from Quora.

It'll be great if I can approach those who knows somebody who has a first-hand experience with autism or, even better, have a conversation with someone who actually has it and is willing to give an insight to their lives. Anything will help a ton, because I absolutely cannot risk fucking up this aspect of the story.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
First, don't use Autism Speaks. They're basically an anti-autism hate group.

Secondly, researching the possible symptoms is a good way to start. You can find out about how it often presents in men and women differently, and I think I remember reading that it's harder for women to be diagnosed, because of that. (No shock there.)

Once you have a basic grasp of that, you can look up Youtube channels and blog posts made by people who actually have autism. You'll find the greatest wealth of information that way.

Then I'd advise researching the problems autistic people have with how the media portrays them, and how they wish they could be portrayed.

Here's something I found just with a quick search on Youtube:

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state

So I've decided to start planning for a new story, and the main character's gonna have- you know what, if the title didn't clue you in the first place, you're probably not gonna bother reading the rest.

The theme of the story is gonna be heavy with alienation and detachment from reality. The idea is that I want to present a blank slate of a character to an alien world. The character does not know of the culture nor the social norms of the place, and tries his absolute best to fit into it.

The problem, however, is that the principles don't always fit. Somehow the bad guys always get away, or the hero never seems to be cheered on for. You always feel like you're a step closer to understanding something when it completely gets swept from under your feet and now you're the villain, all of the sudden. You're either seen as a lunatic or a psycho who's best form of relationship with anyone is long distance and nothing else. Everything that makes sense doesn't and everything that doesn't does to others.

Above is what I want to depict, and not just on a regular basis. I want to display that struggle through, for the lack of a better phrase, a mental handicap. There's no better way to display the detachment and separation from the world you share the same reality with than through the eyes of someone unable to catch nuance and subtlety.

Of course, it doesn't just serve one direction. Most of the time, subtleties hide dark underbellies whereas a simple, unfiltered gaze would see the truth for what it's worth beyond the proverbial shrubbery.

Look, it's sounding more abstract by the moment so let me wrap this up: the ultimate goal for having an autistic main character is so that I could depict hypocrisy and socially-approved deceit of the world through open condemnation and confusion from the main character's part.

So why did I tell you all this? Well, so I could give you a reasoning behind all this, because touching on any topics regarding mental handicaps is a god damn taboo and a social landmine UNLESS you do it well and perfect, and this is why I made this thread in the first place. I need to know how to correctly depict it without falling over the obvious TV drama troupes (cutesy quirks, ULTRA FUCKEN SMART HOLY SHIT HE'S A GENIUS, awkward convos uwu) because I know they don't work like that. I want to depict legitimate issues with social cues and situations, not just "normal lad with autism symptoms".

And I'm not just talking about simple Asperger's. The autistic disorder kind, where it sits on the more extreme side, just to push that isolation further into the theme of the story. How do I avoid setting off landmines, and where do I even begin? My understanding comes from WebMD and a literal dead end. Is there a list of things I should avoid writing, or a PSA out there that could clear things up a little bit. Maybe a website or a community? I don't know. Either I accidentally pegged Google's husband or I'm doing something wrong because my searches either yield bare surface level information or contradictions from Quora.

It'll be great if I can approach those who knows somebody who has a first-hand experience with autism or, even better, have a conversation with someone who actually has it and is willing to give an insight to their lives. Anything will help a ton, because I absolutely cannot risk fucking up this aspect of the story.
they are usually blunt. people with autism are kind. how they are raised are important. please research please. I know someone with autism they love games and music. please research

D

Deleted member 45782

Idk where to start researching but hoping your google researches will help a bit to find the info you need. Research, research, research - common things people misunderstood people with autism, things people with autism may do.

I have autism. AMA about what it's like having autism and I'll do my best to explain : AMA (reddit.com)
I am autistic, ask me anything. : IAmA (reddit.com)
Idk how this above may be accurate, but just something interesting.

Your thread reminded me maybe i should ask to see what its like cause i have some characters that are sad, but idk if its depression.

BenJepheneT

they are usually blunt. people with autism are kind. how they are raised are important. please research please. I know someone with autism they love games and music. please research
Yeah this is why I made this thread. I know what to do. I just don't know HOW to do it. At least give me a heads up on where to start instead of pleading me to do something. I know that myself.

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
My research might actually help here! I would recommend looking up the TEACH model for autism. Yes, I know it’s a teacher supplement to working systems and transitions, but it does go over the importance of communication, time management, and social interactions.
On another note, I wouldn’t necessarily refrain from writing about someone who has autism—I would however—stress the importance that autism is unique to each person. I wish I had more access to my visual aides with Asperger’s and Autism. I’ll see what I can find.
It’s been years however since I last looked at it. For all I know it could be outdated to today’s current versions.

Spica66

I found that most of them have unique or interesting thought process/way of thinking. I have 2 irl friends and 1 internet friend who are diagnosed with autism. They're nice people.

BenJepheneT

My research might actually help here! I would recommend looking up the TEACH model for autism. Yes, I know it’s a teacher supplement to working systems and transitions, but it does go over the importance of communication, time management, and social interactions.
On another note, I wouldn’t necessarily refrain from writing about someone who has autism—I would however—stress the importance that autism is unique to each person. I wish I had more access to my visual aides with Asperger’s and Autism. I’ll see what I can find.
It’s been years however since I last looked at it. For all I know it could be outdated to today’s current versions.
if you do happen to chance upon it it'll be fucking SWELL to get my hands on it. it's really gonna help, thanks

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
Sorry for the sloppy attachments, these were some things that I found while doing a quick search. Hopefully it’ll help you out Ben. I like the Autistic Spectrum Conditoons image, only for the fact that it has a “Linear” line where autism or Asperger’s can fall. It’s not always one extreme to another, they all fall in different segments.
For instance, when I taught in my structured class, I had several students that I remember very fondly. Most of them were diagnosed with some form of Autism. One child absolutely loved the weather, and anything regarding weather got his attention. I remember another teen, who also could tell you the day you were born based upon the date you gave him. You can literally say: “I was born October 3rd 1990”, and he’d say instantly: “You were born on Wednesday”. He needed no calendar and was amazingly accurate and precise. They were bright and funny, always smiling. I miss those kiddos.
On the flip side, I’ve had a child whom I loved so much—but would fall into “fits” or spiral out of control when they were asked to do an unwilling task. No matter if you asked, showed, or placed an unwilling task in front of them they would scream, bite themselves, throw chairs, and find sharp or hardened surfaces to bang their heads upon. It absolutely broke my heart to see them like that. As an educator you never want to see a child display harmful abuse to themselves or others.
776BE292-98A4-437D-B11E-11FA15F320C1.jpeg 448CFFE8-9C3F-46CA-9AAB-A4FD9C94E278.jpeg CF984407-32F5-4C73-9D01-65F26C758233.jpeg 28316687-65B8-4A61-99A2-19A535AB984B.jpeg
03F6D760-FD9F-4BF9-BBB4-2D108C9D58A0.jpeg

Last edited:

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai

I do not know. I’ve been friends with someone as a kid, but all they really acted like was then had a impulse to bit things and he couldn’t talk.

but he was pretty neat to be around

BenJepheneT

Sorry for the sloppy attachments, these were some things that I found while doing a quick search. Hopefully it’ll help you out Ben. I like the Autistic Spectrum Conditoons image, only for the fact that it has a “Linear” line where autism or Asperger’s can fall. It’s not always one extreme to another, they all fall in different segments.
For instance, when I taught in my structured class, I had several students that I remember very fondly. Most of them were diagnosed with some form of Autism. One child absolutely loved the weather, and anything regarding weather got his attention. I remember another teen, who also could tell you the day you were born based upon the date you gave him. You can literally say: “I was born October 3rd 1990”, and he’d say instantly: “You were born on Wednesday”. He needed no calendar and was amazingly accurate and precise. They were bright and funny, always smiling. I miss those kiddos.
On the flip side, I’ve had a child whom I loved so much—but would fall into “fits” or spiral out of control when they were asked to do an unwilling task. No matter if you asked, showed, or placed an unwilling task in front of them they would scream, bite themselves, throw chairs, and find sharp or hardened surfaces to bang their heads upon. It absolutely broke my heart to see them like that. As an educator you never want to see a child display harmful abuse to themselves or others.
View attachment 6611View attachment 6610View attachment 6609View attachment 6608View attachment 6607
You're a FUCKEN GODSEND. Thanks for these.

Autism is a spectrum. You decide first on which part of the spectrum your character should be.
^
And I'm not just talking about simple Asperger's. The autistic disorder kind, where it sits on the more extreme side, just to push that isolation further into the theme of the story.