How to get your novel on trending list?

AnnonBee

I found novels that did worst than my novel in last 24-48 hours and was still on the trending(rising list) list but not mine.
One that triggered me have total views, readers, favourites and comments lower than the number I have on my novel in last 24 hours. Still my novel didn't make it to the trending list, why?
Can someone explain it to me how that trending list works?

D

Deleted member 45782

@WelcomeToSH

Update frequently so your story appears on Latest Trending section more often on ScribbleHub's home page, which leads to more viewers which leads to more readers which leads to possibly more reviewers/ratings which can influence how your story gets on trending. :blob_aww:

That, and a great contributing factor to going on trending is also if you're writing one of the popular genres on ScribbleHub ~ Litrpg, Smut, Isekai, Girl's love. Or something like that have heard.

We don't know exactly how trending works though. But try anyways. \(^_^)/

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnonBee

@WelcomeToSH

Update frequently so your story appears on Latest Trending section more often on ScribbleHub's home page, which leads to more viewers which leads to more readers which leads to possibly more reviewers/ratings which can influence how your story gets on trending. :blob_aww:

That, and a great contributing factor to going on trending is also if you're writing one of the popular genres on ScribbleHub ~ Litrpg, Smut, Isekai, Girl's love. Or something like that have heard.

We don't know exactly how trending works though. But try anyways. \(^_^)/
That much I know. But my question is even if I novel is statistically doing better than many of the novel, why it isn't on the list.
Like one novel has total of 350 views, 24 readers, about 10 fav with two rating. That is all in total.
On the other hand, my novel has about 900 new views, 28 new readers, 16 new favs and 4 new ratings, in just last 24-48 hours. Yet it didn't make it to the list.
This is why I am asking.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
The Trending Tab is a mystery. You can find between absolute gems and complete niches to downright trash in it. Only Tony really knows how it works, and as far as I've observed, interaction is what really puts you on the map. Ask your readers to comment or Favourite your chapters, or pray to Writing Jesus. That's the few options you have tbh.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Is it that time of the month when someone asks this question?
Next week is the, "I don't know why, but I'm trending." thread I guess. xD

D

Deleted member 45782

That much I know. But my question is even if I novel is statistically doing better than many of the novel, why it isn't on the list.
Yet it didn't make it to the list.
This is why I am asking.
As I said before, we don't know exactly how trending works.
We call it magic 8 ball. We don't know. If we did, many would have already gamed the trending system already.

AnnonBee

The Trending Tab is a mystery. You can find between absolute gems and complete niches to downright trash in it. Only Tony really knows how it works, and as far as I've observed, interaction is what really puts you on the map. Ask your readers to comment or Favourite your chapters, or pray to Writing Jesus. That's the few options you have tbh.
My interaction with my reader is very good. Now there is only one way left. Praying to God, while bribing the 😈
You have to rate both of my stories with one star to get on trending.
Lady, do you have one star fetish or something?

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I found novels that did worst than my novel in last 24-48 hours and was still on the trending(rising list) list but not mine.
One that triggered me have total views, readers, favourites and comments lower than the number I have on my novel in last 24 hours. Still my novel didn't make it to the trending list, why?
Meh. Stop caring, then the trending list will come TO YOU.

longer

Balls
The trending list is about as reasonable as the crackhead on the bus preaching about doomsday. Somedays you won't be able to even squeeze yourself in the back of trending despite statistical success. Then there will be other days where nothing has happened but you'll glance at the thing and find yourself on the front page. I guess the best advice is to write consistently, choose favored genres, and maybe sacrifice a virgin or two.

AnnonBee

The trending list is about as reasonable as the crackhead on the bus preaching about doomsday. Somedays you won't be able to even squeeze yourself in the back of trending despite statistical success. Then there will be other days where nothing has happened but you'll glance at the thing and find yourself on the front page. I guess the best advice is to write consistently, choose favored genres, and maybe sacrifice a virgin or two.
one or two? I have found one, looking for the 2nd one.
Meh. Stop caring, then the trending list will come TO YOU.
wise words.
Yes. I lived in the Lone Star State for seven years.
may the force be with you, and you can become lone star immortal one day.

SailusGebel

The moment the way to get to trending becomes public, the site's staff will change it. It's a simple fact. The requirements for trending are hidden for a reason so that people won't abuse it. That's why you can only be silently bitter about not getting to trending. Stop asking about this, don't increase the workload of the site's staff.

CypherTails

Just keep writing if you're numbers are good it'll end up there at some point. As for the front page trending well as said if the mechanics are known then it would be changed. Even if you knew about the mechanic, you need to out perform some of the top stories on the website which is down to your story as well.

Also I had a look at your story you are like three chaps in, chill dude/gal. Just keep writing if it's good enough to end up there it will.

PS, Trending has a two day delay. So a story post on the 1st will only trend on the 3rd. So check then.

Jemini

The trending list does have 1 basic discernable rule. It is not based on statistics relative to other series. It is based on % growth in various statistics relative to your own performance earlier in the measured time period.

As for which statistics are considered with the most weight in the algorithm, which ones are even counted at all, and how long the measured time period is, that's all a mystery known only to the people who wrote up the program.

All that said, there actually is 1 practically guaranteed method for cheating your way onto the trending list, although it happens to actually be a VERY bad idea for the overall health of your series. All you have to do is go on a long hiatus of a month or longer, and then suddenly come back and post a new chapter or ten. The down-time will drive down all of your own statistics, and then the sudden post will shoot them WAY back up relative to yourself. This is practically guaranteed to get you on the trending list, and also guaranteed to alienate all of your current readers in the process.

So, yeah, very much not recommended. It's just nice to know it's there in case you come back from a genuine hiatus that does not involve you trying to cheat the system.

CypherTails

The trending list does have 1 basic discernable rule. It is not based on statistics relative to other series. It is based on % growth in various statistics relative to your own performance earlier in the measured time period.

As for which statistics are considered with the most weight in the algorithm, which ones are even counted at all, and how long the measured time period is, that's all a mystery known only to the people who wrote up the program.

All that said, there actually is 1 practically guaranteed method for cheating your way onto the trending list, although it happens to actually be a VERY bad idea for the overall health of your series. All you have to do is go on a long hiatus of a month or longer, and then suddenly come back and post a new chapter or ten. The down-time will drive down all of your own statistics, and then the sudden post will shoot them WAY back up relative to yourself. This is practically guaranteed to get you on the trending list, and also guaranteed to alienate all of your current readers in the process.

So, yeah, very much not recommended. It's just nice to know it's there in case you come back from a genuine hiatus that does not involve you trying to cheat the system.

Yeah I did some observations as well (over the course of about 6 months), and I came up with a benchmark performance for a reliable shot at the top 25 of trending. Honestly I have to say this system is really good if I'm correct in my conclusion (good job tony... I think). It doesn't seem really gameable, because the requirements are so high and out of the authors control that it basically necessitates organic growth of the reader base.

I'm not gonna share what the numbers are since it's all speculation and I don't want to give the mods extra work (Plus I don't have the time to game such a demanding system anyway through sheer work and I doubt most people here can too). Even if you could game the system, a subpar story on trending (By trending standards) doesn't seem to boost a story as much as one would think. You still need a good story to make use of that boost. (I made this conclusion because of three trending occurrences for myself, two on one story, one on another. Both stories had drastically different trending and overall performance.)

Jemini

Yeah I did some observations as well (over the course of about 6 months), and I came up with a benchmark performance for a reliable shot at the top 25 of trending. Honestly I have to say this system is really good if I'm correct in my conclusion (good job tony... I think). It doesn't seem really gameable, because the requirements are so high and out of the authors control that it basically necessitates organic growth of the reader base.

I'm not gonna share what the numbers are since it's all speculation and I don't want to give the mods extra work (Plus I don't have the time to game such a demanding system anyway through sheer work and I doubt most people here can too). Even if you could game the system, a subpar story on trending (By trending standards) doesn't seem to boost a story as much as one would think. You still need a good story to make use of that boost. (I made this conclusion because of three trending occurrences for myself, two on one story, one on another. Both stories had drastically different trending and overall performance.)

The thing that I want to know is how the heck Tony FINALLY got the trending list to operate in a way where Wifu picture covers were not overly favored anymore.

I have been with SH since close to the beginning and I've watched the trending list evolve over time. It seems like every time people notice an exploit that gets sub-par series onto trending frequently, it somehow gets fixed. I had my doubts as to whether or not the wifu images on the covers was a problem that even had a fix at all. I mean, technically it is an organic response. People just feel more compelled to click on those ones. But, somehow Tony actually managed to address it, which makes me incredibly happy.

But, actually, the fact that the system currently somehow compensates for people being misled by the cover does indicate something. It would mean the current system prefers actual engagement with the chapters, which means total views is not favored in the algorithm. It has to be looking at actual chapter views. And, it probably does not favor views on the first two or three chapters as well as it does later chapters.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
You can definitely game trending if you know what to do. Basically you have to do exactly what trending implies, gain an upward trend in views, although the intricacies of the system are still unknown.