How much do y'all care about realism in your stories?

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
You can answer this from a reader viewpoint as well.
For me, I laugh at it and kick its corpse. Literally have one chapter where a reincarnator complains that their machine from Earth isn't working and my Xianxia protagonist goes 'the laws are different, bitch'. Of course some stuff still makes sense for the sake of readability, but I don't really apply much science in my fantasy fiction since its supposed to be fantastical.

soldieroffortune813

I think it's more important for things to be consistent and explained well enough. If you break the rules of our normal reality, make sure the audience understands the new rules so that they don't get blindsided. That aside, I prefer the less grounded stuff because I like the fantasy of the book, and excessive realism gets boring,

I think it's more important for things to be consistent and explained well enough. If you break the rules of our normal reality, make sure the audience understands the new rules so that they don't get blindsided. That aside, I prefer the less grounded stuff because I like the fantasy of the book, and excessive realism gets boring,
I think that why JoJo is popular

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
You can answer this from a reader viewpoint as well.
For me, I laugh at it and kick its corpse. Literally have one chapter where a reincarnator complains that their machine from Earth isn't working and my Xianxia protagonist goes 'the laws are different, bitch'. Of course some stuff still makes sense for the sake of readability, but I don't really apply much science in my fantasy fiction since its supposed to be fantastical.
I once spent an hour researching fall physics and survivability. Strength of body, possible injuries. What the highest height a person has survived falling on record.
All for one goddamn scene.

As a comedy writer, I dont give a fuck about very realistic reactions to the stupid shit my MC does. But god forbid i let this giant slime monster fall faster than the MC because i didn't realize weight and wind resistance aren't a factor.

Yeah. I didnt understand that mass doesnt matter when in free fall, either.

LesserSarcasm

Not explaining the suspension of disbelief. Or completly changing how something biological works like new eyes and all of a sudden you can remember stuff better.

EternalSunset0

Not much, I think. I mean, my main medium of consumption is anime, particularly action-fantasy ones, which oftentimes doesn't care about realism.

However, it's actually one of the things I'm getting a bit self-conscious about as a writer. Not in terms of "is it possible?" but more of a "why the hell would the characters do that?" Or stuff related to suspension of disbelief. I still can't grasp my mind around the concept, tbh. I mean, besides anime, I also grew up watching pro wrestling a lot, so there's that.

As a reader, I don't really notice "realistic decisions," at all. Even when watching anime or even Western series/movies, I only notice plotholes or plot-induced character stupidity after going through forums or threads that discuss said piece of media. Like TVTropes, Reddit threads, whatnot. Like, people pointing out that characters from an anime are dumb is legit one of the stuff I can't relate with until I carefully reread and rewatch, etc.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
Logically speaking the example you gave is pretty realistic, the natural laws would have to be different to allow xanxia to work.

What people are really trying to do when they make something more realistic is make it more immersive. Have the events that transpire make actual sense. There is a cause and effect. A big part of this is if the setting of the world make sense from our perspectives.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I think writing realism is like doing LARP, so it is important to maintain it as much as possible and when writing fantasy with metahumans and monsters running amok, it is basically me screaming "MY IMMERSION!" like Soviet Womble as a dude casually pulls a mach 10 without atomizing the crowd around him.

But at the same time, I hate reading infos and watching Shad and Skar and other HEMA channels to try to keep the consistency. To hell, I am more hardworking than when I was doing my thesis in uni.

So everytime I read others' works, I have the tendency to put realism somewhere far, alongside shutting down my thinking brain to not spoil the obvious plot in the works.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Hmm, reading these messages I guess that I care a lot about realism when it comes to the decisions of my characters, to the point where I base some scenes on things that actually happen in real life.
I think writing realism is like doing LARP, so it is important to maintain it as much as possible and when writing fantasy with metahumans and monsters running amok, it is basically me screaming "MY IMMERSION!" like Soviet Womble as a dude casually pulls a mach 10 without atomizing the crowd around him.

But at the same time, I hate reading infos and watching Shad and Skar and other HEMA channels to try to keep the consistency. To hell, I am more hardworking than when I was doing my thesis in uni.

So everytime I read others' works, I have the tendency to put realism somewhere far, alongside shutting down my thinking brain to not spoil the obvious plot in the works.
I considered doing that but I realized my novel involved mountain sized dragons that make hurricanes whenever they flap their wings while the MCs tear through space to get their mcdonalds on the other side of the globe, so I don't think i need to do much reading up on info.
I once spent an hour researching fall physics and survivability. Strength of body, possible injuries. What the highest height a person has survived falling on record.

As a comedy writer, I dont give a fuck about very realistic reactions to the stupid shit my MC does. But god forbid i let this giant slime monster fall faster than the MC because i didn't realize weight and wind resistance aren't a factor.

Reminds me of the time where I researched chinese acupuncture all for one realm of a cultivation system that lasts like 10 chapters and will never be mentioned again.

Last edited:

That how Einstein discovered how space-time curvature work

Last edited:

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
I think that instead of realism, making sure cause and effect remain constant is more important.
People do stupid shit and make mistakes, especially if they're dumb teenagers or children. It's important that those mistakes have consequences, otherwise suspension of disbelief gets defenestrated.
As for fantasy, it would depend on the type of fantasy. Low fantasy allows for pretty wild shit and that's fine because it has the 'wonder' factor. High fantasy should have hard rules keeping things logical and constant. Soft magic makes no sense, and hard magic requires a solid set of limits/rules/laws for it to make a lick of sense.
Different genres face different expectations, and that varies from fiction to fiction.

I think that 'realism in-world' is more important than making it seem possible for our reality. It's called 'fantasy' for a reason, no?

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Hm.... I try to keep gender-related things similar to real life. Like you are a female, you deal with actual female issues. If you are a male, well, you have two jewels to watch out for. A good blow there can cause some nasty things. *Don't get me in all the conditions males can get.* Can't be a biological male or female without the issues that come with that genitalia.

Also, with injuries and stuff. Like, break the femur? You won't be running a marathon in a while. If ever again. Even in fantasy, that brings weight to the actions and consequences. Lose ahead? Well, you drop dead.

I also make death be an actual death. Even if reincarnation occurs, they will never be the person they used to be. Thus, their death counts. Saint in one life, a demon in another. Never the same, even though it is the same soul. To me, that adds weight to the story. Like Oh, Flora died! But wait, she is reborn! But it isn't Flora anymore... It is Juan now. And Juan is nothing like Flora was.... such an such. They are whole other people, thus the one you know will never be again.:blob_blank:

Realism and Fantasy go hand in hand. To make the fantasy believable, I also think there should be genuine moments. Can't win them all hero~ :blob_aww:

orangepeel

It wouldn't be fantasy if it was the same as the real world. Some things will be different from RL and they should be explained either as, RL with changes, or build your world from the base up explaining as the the protagonist learns or when it becomes relevant.

So change whatever you want and tell us, don't spring a deus ex machina in your arc finale.

Realism/consistency within the world is necessary, If an author makes some rules for their world and then breaks them several times I am done reading their book/series/story. (and I will leave a scathing review, if I got invested, low score if not)

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
What is real in my heart may not be the same as what is real in someone else's heart. Still, I write from my heart and don't care too much about what others think. I still appreciate feedback in case there is something I overlooked, but I ultimately disregard most feedback.

Kitsura

I ain't writing grimdark.

Healthy amount of realism to keep the suspension of disbelief and internal consistency. Anything else is whatever.

dvelasquez

Air resistance determines your terminal velocity, which is the point when you will not accelerate further while free falling. What matters is not only the mass but the cross-sectional area of the body that's falling. Let's say if a guy falls using the spread eagle position, he will fall slower than a guy going head or feet first, or in a diving position, this is because the air is affecting a bigger cross-sectional area, increasing the air resistance. The same happens with a parachute, it has an increased cross-sectional area, which increases the amount of air resistance applied to said parachute. both forces (gravity and air resistance) reach a stable point or terminal velocity, where you don't accelerate further and your speed is slowed down to a safe range.

Of course, it's not possible to use a rock parachute, as its mass, combined with gravity, will stop the air resistance from slowing it down. The material used for a parachute has to be light while also being resistant as to not be torn apart by the winds, and what matters the most is the size of it.

So yes, a giant slime monster, unless it stretched itself to form a parachute, would fall at the same speed as your MC. (This made me think about Elastigirl from The Incredibles when she transformed herself into a parachute to save her baby.)

Also, about the main topic. I would say that it all depends on each one, but what I consider is the most important rule is: Keep to your world's rules.

Consistency depends on playing by the rules you set for your world. For example, if you said that ANYONE in your world could fly, but someday you decided your MC or a villain couldn't flight because it was convenient to the plot, that's breaking your world's rules, and that generates consistencies problems on the plot.

UNLESS! You give it a convincing explanation within your world's rules, like for example, everyone could fly because they got wings, but your MC or "X" Villain lost their wings, or they were trapped with some mechanism that didn't allow them to flap their wings and fly away or something like that.

Fantasy, is that, fantasy. You don't have to follow real-world logic, you can use it as a guide to building your world, but at the end of the day, you as the writer and creator of that world have the last word. What's important is to keep consistency within your world rules and logic.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

[Contradiction]: Imperative
Low fantasy allows for pretty wild shit and that's fine because it has the 'wonder' factor. High fantasy should have hard rules keeping things logical and constant.
I think you got these backwards? Low fantasy is an elf selling drinks at a 7-11, High fantasy is an elf enchanting a ship to sail through the air and shoot fireballs at that forty foot tall dragon.

I grew up reading more Sci-Fi than fantasy, so I expect a ton of realism when I'm reading. And writing, I suppose.

That doesn't mean I expect absolute reality, like historical dramas or modern stories without magic. I actually hate that type of thing. I want to see realistic magic. I want people to exceed the limits of reality. I want a believable excuse for why you can move faster than the eye can see. A dragon can create hurricanes with its wingbeats because it literally weighs enough to displace the air faster than it can fill the gap. How can it live while weighing that much? Magic... But so what?

Magic is just a new law of reality that adds more to the realism.