Writing List of worst things consistently generalized in repetitive forms throughout stories of CN, JP, KR, and etc.

LilTV1155

To all readers on the forums, there are many story tropes and character traits shown and generalized throughout other stories of CN, JP, KR, and etc.

So list out the "worst" things or any horribly generalized "truths" or themes, you have ever encountered while reading/watching/listening to several stories which has similar genres / settings and are created from other countries like CN, JP, KR, US, etc.?

Explain why those things can make a character or the story so shitty by common, and moral + ethical logics.

Some of those "worst" things does not have to be found in just characters, tropes, but also in the ideas that consistently generalized by the story's author as acceptable truths in their country's society.

Also anything in the story that are frequently used for comedy effects or generalized for dramas, but you won't find it funny, romantic, or cool at all.

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
To all readers on the forums, there are many story tropes and character traits shown and generalized throughout other stories of CN, JP, KR, and etc.

So list out the "worst" things or any horribly generalized "truths" or themes, you have ever encountered while reading/watching/listening to several stories which has similar genres / settings and are created from other countries like CN, JP, KR, US, etc.?

Explain why those things can make a character or the story so shitty by common, and moral + ethical logics.

Some of those "worst" things does not have to be found in just characters, tropes, but also in the ideas that consistently generalized by the story's author as acceptable truths in their country's society.
CN....well if your Chinese, you're the best thing ever since sliced bread. Chinese have done everything, built everything, and are everything that is and needs to be. Oh and Taiwanese are lesser beings best exterminated as soon as possible. And then there is the Xianxia genre as a whole whose issues are just.....worth an entire post by themselves.

JP.....I'm sick of Shounen MC's. I hate to say beta-male.....but beta-male. That and the "You should never kill" MC's are nauseating. The "powah ov fwendshwip" type shounen storylines are obnoxious. Their harems which aren't even harems in the first place. Harem means they end up with more than one lover. JP never seem to actually deliver that. If he only ends up with one girl at the end, then it wasn't a harem and the tag is incorrectly applied. Hell, some of the time the MC doesn't choose anyone. They misuse the harem tag CONSTANTLY. And that irritating thing where the male MC always spaz out and loose their mind the moment a girl touches them....sure its realistic the first few times..but any rational, healthy teenager/man who is constantly sexually approached by a pretty girl, or multiple, is eventually going to accept the offerings. Let's not be coy and naive.

KR....My preferred of the three despite it issues. Koreans have this....obsession with NTR. I don't read anything Korean that has romance in the tag anymore because 9 times out of 10, regardless of the fact that the story ends happily....pretty sure female MC got stolen, re-stolen, and then passed around a few more times before that eventual happy ending. Doesn't happen EVERYTIME....but far more often than not with Korean romances. Idk....Koreans seem to have a distorted view of the romance genre. They seem to think NTR is usually involved in the average relationship. I've never been to Korea..so maybe it is there. Idk. Last but not least....they sometimes have the same "ultra nationalist" approach as China, but it's by far less frequent.

So in short:

CN....nearly everything they write is subpar. My least fav. The only author I've liked is Misty South....and his stuff is pretty Western in style so go figure.

JP....they have by far the worst MC's of all three, but they do tend to make enjoyable worlds. I'd say they have the best world building of the three. My middle choice.

KR....as long as you stay away from their romance genre'd stuff...I say they are the best of the three by far.

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
CN- I hate to admit it, but I read a lot of these. Xianxia can drag on and on for thousands of chapters, and honestly that's cause CN writers get payed for how much they write, not how good they write. Their harems can be as annoying as JP ones, the MCs at least get to fuck em tho. Sometimes Xianxia MCs can be arrogant murderhobos too.

JP - This is basically where most scribblehub authors got their inspiration from, just replace the harem MC with a girl who was a boy in their previous life.

KR - I will admit that I don't read much of these, but those that I did are mostly power fantasies, not masterpieces but not as bad as some CN and JP works.(except Invisible Dragon, that one is a masterepece)

Last edited:

expentio

CN - dangerous picture of women. Even if it's a female protagonist, it's often a male guy "saving" her, treating her like trash and she shall be goddamn grateful for it (and often sadly is). Women are often subpar to male counterparts (even if portrayed as strong and independent) and can only do deception and scheming.
Xianxia, why the heck does everyone speak like this? "Feel my six mountain, seven skies sword of the eternal dragon!" And then some random spectator points out "this is actually five times stronger than the five mountain six skies sword." Everyone over and over repeats what just happened as if they're all out to become the next Captain Obvious. And this is because the reader is too stupid to understand in their opinion.

JP - Most protagonists are Mary Sues who can never go wrong (and would likely break if they would). And everyone in the world is always agreeing with everything they say, completely unable to have another opinion (50 tea recipes of the duchess, I swear, no one in this world prefers juice).

Lloyd

Professional Writer
CN - dangerous picture of women. Even if it's a female protagonist, it's often a male guy "saving" her, treating her like trash and she shall be goddamn grateful for it (and often sadly is). Women are often subpar to male counterparts (even if portrayed as strong and independent) and can only do deception and scheming.
Xianxia, why the heck does everyone speak like this? "Feel my six mountain, seven skies sword of the eternal dragon!" And then some random spectator points out "this is actually five times stronger than the five mountain six skies sword." Everyone over and over repeats what just happened as if they're all out to become the next Captain Obvious. And this is because the reader is too stupid to understand in their opinion.

JP - Most protagonists are Mary Sues who can never go wrong (and would likely break if they would). And everyone in the world is always agreeing with everything they say, completely unable to have another opinion (50 tea recipes of the duchess, I swear, no one in this world prefers juice).
Realistic females is the best part of CN novels though.

Freemints30

Their harems which aren't even harems in the first place. Harem means they end up with more than one lover. JP never seem to actually deliver that. If he only ends up with one girl at the end, then it wasn't a harem and the tag is incorrectly applied. Hell, some of the time the MC doesn't choose anyone. They misuse the harem tag CONSTANTLY.
I will have to say it. The Harem tag for Japanese light novels, anime and manga is just a fancy way of saying love triangle with more than 3 people. And just like many love triangles in fiction, they are a waste of screen time with an obvious choice of whose getting picked or no resolution making them a massive waste of time

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Realistic females is the best part of CN novels though.
Pfft what are you reading where an CN novel has realistic females? They are either jade beauties who exist to stroke the MCs cock, or are jade beauties who exist to be cold, annoying bitches. Maybe in the romance genre they are a bit more realistic, but even then it's still pretty crappy cuz of course the wealthiest and most powerful CEOs have to fall in love with them obsessively for...reasons.

I'm not saying male CN MCs are any better tho.

As for the original Post's question, overall I would say KNs have the best characters and character development of them all. Just better written as a whole. For that matter, Chinese stories are actually well written too, but they tend to fall too heavily into their shitty tropes because they are just so long they have little choice BUT to fall into them. No story should continue for over a thousand chapters, yo.

Jap stories? Never very well written, it's almost always very threadbare description wise. But there are gems, and their anime adaptations are pretty great even if their novels are usually lacking. Jap works shine in anime cuz they can show the worlds and characters better. In their written form, like I said they can be very threadbare so it's hard to really picture anything but the most basic of setting and character designs unless they do illustrations

In short, they are bland

Akivien

My name is young master of the sevenly heavnly primodial begining clans and i will now get beaten by some low realm dudes. I like getting faceslapped, and somehow have my entire clan slaughtered, i also like treating my jade like beauty fiancée like shit, and most of the time i offer them to self-centred heavenly chosen MC.

LilTV1155

Also in KR, CN, and JP stories, they have a bad gender stereotyping, mainly for certain or most female characters. Most of those characters are just nuisances, who drag the male MC into all sorts of troubles out of spite or for fun because they are extremely arrogant, cocky stupid, meddlesome, weak, copycat personality, beauty cute or pretty, delusional especially about romance, hasty, jump to conclusion, take things at face value, easily charmable (one power move), gullible, naiive, self-conscious or no awareness, and lack of empathy. Some of those female characters are just plain mean and violent. Some of them don't even have a power to protect themselves properly, but tend to intrude on MC's boundaries and get themselves captured in the process which make them useless. Those characters are also the types to bring troubles to MC in the forms of their families or jealous crazy suitors.

Some of those characters were like they were just there for the author to make a statement: "Women are unreliable, but that's my FLs."
That's toxic, dude.

And in the gender stereotyping for guys are this: high status, lots of wealth, superpower, and a pretty face make good MLs NO MATTER how shitty or questionable their personalities ("ice-cube" dudes) or people are unless they cheat on the female MC.
This tend to give an idea that women should aim for powerful and the impossible like a gold digger. Your every revenge tags with female MC.
That's risky and unhealthy and also toxic as shit.

Life's already tough in that setting. Why make it harder?

Last edited:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I usually read romance... So...:blob_aww:

KR&JP:

-I hate love triangles. Especially when the Mc girl or boy can't decide who they want to fuck, so they fuck both! And end up hurting someone instead!

-Cold ass MC that treats the other MC like crap, then is justified by their history. Somehow FL falls in love and stays in love with this man no matter what happens.

-Cheating FL & ML MCs is becoming a trend for some reason. They are in a wonderful relationship, yet they meet this hot gal or guy and end up well, you know.

-Weak MC Males and Females.... Damsels, I swear. I understand to be emotionally weak, but there has to be some growth somewhere. A break, but nope these people stay naïve their whole lives.

-MC female that forgives a molester. I can't stress this enough. They come get molested and then hang out with the dude as nothing happens. Like... What?!?

-Gender benders were the boy turns to a female, yet has no biological responses. I guess they don't have a uterus or ovaries.~ So they just got an inverted penile, which is technically what the women's channel is.

-Women are sex toys to be thrown out like nothing.

Why must we women need saving all the damn time? Or act like the stupidest beings alive? I don't understand. :blob_catflip:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Also in KR, CN, and JP stories, they have a bad gender stereotyping, mainly for certain or most female characters. Most of those characters are just nuisances, who drag the male MC into all sorts of troubles out of spite or for fun because they are extremely arrogant, cocky stupid, meddlesome, weak, copycat personality, beauty cute or pretty, delusional especially about romance, hasty, jump to conclusion, take things at face value, easily charmable (one power move), gullible, naiive, self-conscious or no awareness, and lack of empathy. Some of those female characters are just plain mean and violent. Some of them don't even have a power to protect themselves properly, but tend to intrude on MC's boundaries and get themselves captured in the process which make them useless. Those characters are also the types to bring troubles to MC in the forms of their families or jealous crazy suitors.

Some of those characters were like they were just there for the author to make a statement: "Women are unreliable, but that's my FLs."
That's toxic, dude.

And in the gender stereotyping for guys are this: high status, lots of wealth, superpower, and a pretty face make good MLs NO MATTER how shitty or questionable their personalities ("ice-cube" dudes) or people are unless they cheat on the female MC.
This tend to give an idea that women should aim for powerful and the impossible like a gold digger. Your every revenge tags with female MC.

Lol im guilty of making female characters who're easily charmable and arrogant, too. But that's just cuz my main genre is comedy and it can be funny when they over react or act like they're the number one under heaven. My MC's can fit those tropes as well. But again, since the genre is comedy, its just so i can make funny situations. Personality-wise, i;ll just say that you cant have all those tropes in a character and also make them either have the personality of a cardboard or a ice cube. You need them to be likable, after all.

That aside, I don't have a problem with most of those types of depictions of girls, actually. Just when they are cold bitches who're unreasonable. LIke if they start hitting the MC for shitty reasons, they lose me. Hate them. Male leads? I cant stand the cold ones there, either. Like they don't have to be cunts, know what i mean? I prefer MCs who're more crazy. Like Bai Xiaochun from A Will Eternal

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I think this joke I made in the past would kinda fit in this situation

Three men enter a bar and started drinking, when a woman arrive and sat at the opposite direction of them.

One of them spoke.

CN MC - I, this young master, shall conquer this jade beauty and she shall be part of my harem

Denying his claim, his other buddy spoke.

JP MC - You shouldn't treat women like that, she is a beautiful and kind hearted girl that should be treated with respect and care.

While the two began to argue, the final guy spoke as if she wasn't observing her body but something else.

KN MC - Well, how much exp do I gain if I manage to kill her?

CN and JP MC - ...........

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is an old one since this was my impression of the three countries novels at that time but after gaining some new ideas of what KN is, I think this is my new variation to the story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

While the two look at the KN guy with a disgusted look, another KN guy walked in and observe the beauty, adding his own impression to the three.

KN MC 2 - No Man, you don't think like that. I think what you said was how many men do you think she would fit in there?

KN MC - Ohhh, I never thought about that.

CN and JP MC - ............

As the two became even more disgusted at the fact that KNs are more weird than they thought, one guy walked in to the bar while also giving his own impression on the beauty.

Thai MC - Holy Hell, how many can the beauty give out references?

Pontan

That's toxic, dude.

I can elaborate further. Pretty much all, 90% of all manga made for boys have their male lead surrounded by females. The worst is that Japan is quite sexist, so the women are very often shown as weak and irrational, while the man is shown as strong, (In power only.) bland (Why the heck are they always so FUCKING BLAAAND!? They are all beardless bastards!) and rational. (For walking the dogs. Which are women in this case. No. You can walk yourself. The women in Japanese comics, anime and light novels cannot. Get your facts straight!)
IN CONCLUSION: Give me my damn husbandos already, gosh daym! (Plz... I need cool dudes... Just one or two cool men among the women... *Drools* Plz...)

LilTV1155

Thai MC - Holy Hell, how many can the beauty give out references?
I haven't read any stories from Thai. Mind giving me a few references please?
Oh right, I did read a few stories from KR with a shounen and romance plot. And all I got is this: KR MC is a walking Dildo, easily passed around by the women, who seemed to enjoy sharing in his life. And for some reasons, jealousy and relationships are not strictly clarified.
I can elaborate further. Pretty much all, 90% of all manga made for boys have their male lead surrounded by females. The worst is that Japan is quite sexist, so the women are very often shown as weak and irrational, while the man is shown as strong, (In power only.) bland (Why the heck are they always so FUCKING BLAAAND!? They are all beardless bastards!) and rational. (For walking the dogs. Which are women in this case. No. You can walk yourself. The women in Japanese comics, anime and light novels cannot. Get your facts straight!)
IN CONCLUSION: Give me my damn husbandos already, gosh daym! (Plz... I need cool dudes... Just one or two cool men among the women... *Drools* Plz...)
When sexism exists, one gender is made the trash can and the other an over glorified vase.

And don't forget the degree of racism shown toward other characters of different ethnicity and nationality in some of those stories.

JP - Between Obvious and Subtle.
KR - Subtle.
CN - Obvious
Other - Unknown

Reyezwriting

In fiction, I can only think of Alpha CEOs and Sasuke clones.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Those types of characters don't really make much senses.
I no longer watch anime. I only read manga. And I always avoid the Shounen genre either way. Reason? Sasuke from Naruto. I already had many issues with the genre, but that was the nail in the coffin for me. Power of damned fwendshwip did it again! The fact that Naruto just handwaved and Sasuke was pardoned......is baffling to me. It's pure heresy. At the VERY LEAST, his chakra system should have been shattered and he left incapable of doing ninjutsu. In essence, made a normal civilian.

But no, political corruption and favoritism for the win. Sarada is an abomination. She should not exist or at the very least, be denied the right to be a ninja because nearly every crisis in the anime could be laid at the feet of the Uchiha, not all but nearly every one.

The Uchiha should have died with Sasuke. Her existence alone is why I haven't watched Boruto, though I have sworn off shounen as a whole since then anyway.