Writing about a character that is about to die

What is the best way of dying?

• Dying… at old age around your loved ones <3

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Dying while saving someone or something (could be an animal or a tree or a land)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Dying while bringing down as many bad guys as much as possible

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Dying while donating your body to people of need and science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dying after having a great time with your friends and family

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Dying because you can and it’s the right thing to do

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other reasons (Please specify) :3

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I don't see what the poll has to do with the thread title.

The best way of dying is to not die. Or maybe to die metaphorically. Just give up all the bad things and live a better life.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>

The best way of dying is to not die. Or maybe to die metaphorically. Just give up all the bad things and live a better life.
But if they don’t die, could that be called suicide though? :(

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
But if they don’t die, could that be called suicide though? :(
Yeah, that's why I said the poll and the thread title don't match up. A suicidal person isn't looking for the best way to die, they just want to die. Assuming the prompt is, "How should my suicidal character off themself?" then-

The first one is out. Dying of old age around family isn't suicide at all. Unless they're trying to traumatize their family, I guess.

The second one is viable, but very hard to arrange. You probably won't be able to magically find someone who needs you to save them. Even if you did, you'd be forcing survivor's guilt on them. Horrible thing to do.

The third one is viable, and easier than two. But if your definition of bad people is warped... Well, there's plenty of real world examples in the news.

The fourth one is... I'm fairly sure you would damage your body too much to be used if you killed yourself. It can work, but you'd effectively need a doctor to agree to murder you. Again with the survivor's guilt.

The fifth one is freaking ominous. What kind of crackpot goes around smiling and playing with their family while secretly thinking, "This is the last time we'll see each other."

The sixth one is... common. But also not true. It's so easy for someone to dismiss their own life as worthless and just give up on it. If your question is, "Why did my character want to kill themself?", this is probably the answer- and you should make sure that they fail. It's about sending a message, you know?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Sorry, mate, immortality isn't an option.
As the poll said :D
If I want to suicide, I'm taking everyone i hate with me. But i dont really have people I hate, so I'm probably just going to find Niko and take him with me so that all these pussies can stop using him as an excuse keep living

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Sorry, mate, immortality isn't an option.

If I want to suicide, I'm taking everyone i hate with me. But i dont really have people I hate, so I'm probably just going to find Niko and take him with me so that all these pussies can stop using him as an excuse keep living
Who is Niko?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Who is Niko?
Some fat guy on Youtube who everyone hates for some reason. "If you kill yourself, you're letting Niko outlive you"

Pretty disgusting eating habits, but that's 90% of Americans so I dont give a shit. I just want them to man up and kill themselves instead of hiding behind some stupid excuse like that just cuz they're too scared to go through with it. Smh attention whore

CheertheDead

Yeah, that's why I said the poll and the thread title don't match up. A suicidal person isn't looking for the best way to die, they just want to die. Assuming the prompt is, "How should my suicidal character off themself?" then-

The first one is out. Dying of old age around family isn't suicide at all. Unless they're trying to traumatize their family, I guess.

The second one is viable, but very hard to arrange. You probably won't be able to magically find someone who needs you to save them. Even if you did, you'd be forcing survivor's guilt on them. Horrible thing to do.

The third one is viable, and easier than two. But if your definition of bad people is warped... Well, there's plenty of real world examples in the news.

The fourth one is... I'm fairly sure you would damage your body too much to be used if you killed yourself. It can work, but you'd effectively need a doctor to agree to murder you. Again with the survivor's guilt.

The fifth one is freaking ominous. What kind of crackpot goes around smiling and playing with their family while secretly thinking, "This is the last time we'll see each other."

The sixth one is... common. But also not true. It's so easy for someone to dismiss their own life as worthless and just give up on it. If your question is, "Why did my character want to kill themself?", this is probably the answer- and you should make sure that they fail. It's about sending a message, you know?
Ok. Changed the title. :3

although I think it’s quite normal that someone would want to have the last blast before dying. Sure they want to die but since they can only pull it out once, wouldn’t it be normal that they want to have some thing out of it beside just dying?

It’s a waste of the perfect opportunity.
Some fat guy on Youtube who everyone hates for some reason. "If you kill yourself, you're letting Niko outlive you"

Pretty disgusting eating habits, but that's 90% of Americans so I dont give a shit. I just want them to man up and kill themselves instead of hiding behind some stupid excuse like that just cuz they're too scared to go through with it. Smh attention whore
I am a narcissist and an attention whore too :3 but I do think People should be allowed to end their life. It’s a little weird that we say they are weak, misguided or ill to justify our reasons against them committing suicide. No human is god. There are thing that can not be fixed.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I would have picked my second option as having a great time with friends and family, except I have no friends and I like, not love, my family. Having a good time is already a difficult task, a great time is just pushing it.

Though I picked taking down bad guys, I probably couldn't even do one.

So I would like to die like an alley cat, hidden from the public, alone and cold.

CheertheDead

I would have picked my second option as having a great time with friends and family, except I have no friends and I like, not love, my family. Having a good time is already a difficult task, a great time is just pushing it.

Though I picked taking down bad guys, I probably couldn't even do one.

So I would like to die like an alley cat, hidden from the public, alone and cold.
Just ask someone if they want to be your companion on a day. Get to visit all the place and enjoy the activities are what I am having in mind. :3

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Ok. Changed the title. :3

although I think it’s quite normal that someone would want to have the last blast before dying. Sure they want to die but since they can only pull it out once, wouldn’t it be normal that they want to have some thing out of it beside just dying?

It’s a waste of the perfect opportunity.
It's hard for someone who isn't suicidal to understand, I think. A suicidal person is thinking about themself, not the impact their death will have on the world. Otherwise it would become immediately apparent that living is far more impactful. Any 'opportunity' that can be taken by dying could be taken a thousand times over if you did it once a day and survived.

Donating blood instead of your whole body, getting a job where you help people, paying attention to people in high risk situations, and- obviously playing with your family is so much easier if you make a habit of it than doing it as a final farewell.

So in reality, dying is a waste of a million perfect opportunities.

Well, if you're dying of a terminal illness or something, then maybe it would make sense to try and get a net positive out of it. That definitely changes the situation.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It's hard for someone who isn't suicidal to understand, I think. A suicidal person is thinking about themself, not the impact their death will have on the world. Otherwise it would become immediately apparent that living is far more impactful. Any 'opportunity' that can be taken by dying could be taken a thousand times over if you did it once a day and survived.

Donating blood instead of your whole body, getting a job where you help people, paying attention to people in high risk situations, and- obviously playing with your family is so much easier if you make a habit of it than doing it as a final farewell.

Well, if you're dying of a terminal illness or something, then maybe it would make sense to try and get a net positive out of it. That definitely changes the situation.
Well, opportunity cost in everything I guess.
Just ask someone if they want to be your companion on a day. Get to visit all the place and enjoy the activities are what I am having in mind. :3
Yeah, well, most of their reply will be "no", "why waste my time" and my favorite "can't you see I'm busy?!"

Seen what they did to my grandparents, seen it all.

CheertheDead

Yes. You are perfectly correct. They only think about themselves so they would want some self-satisfaction out of them dying. It’s a rare occasion and usually the only time they can do something.

Sometimes, a lifetime can’t even complete what a dead could do. For example, if there is a corrupted politician, you can try your entire life while spitting out blood and guts in frustration and couldn’t bring them down but a suicidal bomb will have a chance to complete it without all the waste of time. It’s usually better to remove corruption as soon as possible instead of waiting it out?

Also a healthy body with their organs have a lot more value in saving lives than a weary body after a long life. Blood is also becoming less important with artificial blood is being developed.

Family bonds are definitely something complicated but should we denounce the value of the suicidal person? Should the happiness of the many be considered more important than one’s? Should one prolong their existence just to satisfy the narrative that thing would get better, that there is a solution if you just search for it?

While a lot of aspects are up to debate, we can’t just say that a dead is a waste. :(

As you said “A suicidal person is thinking about themself, not the impact their death will have on the world”, the thing is the dying person can perceive the effect of their death on the world. This effect could bring them a sense of satisfaction and I believe they care about it. Wouldn’t you want to have a last blowout with your family and keep that last happy memory before extinguishing your life? After all, they only care for themselves and not what it causes to their family.
Well, opportunity cost in everything I guess.

Yeah, well, most of their reply will be "no", "why waste my time" and my favorite "can't you see I'm busy?!"

Seen what they did to my grandparents, seen it all.
No no. I am not talking about your family.

I was talking about inviting someone else you haven’t met.

Last edited:

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus

Nothing like dedicating well spent time to hating on someone you'll never meet in real life, where you could be improving your own living situation.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Yes. You are perfectly correct. They only think about themselves so they would want some self-satisfaction out of them dying. It’s a rare occasion and usually the only time they can do something.

Sometimes, a lifetime can’t even complete what a dead could do. For example, if there is a corrupted politician, you can try your entire life while spitting out blood and guts in frustration and couldn’t bring them down but a suicidal bomb will have a chance to complete it without all the waste of time. It’s usually better to remove corruption as soon as possible instead of waiting it out?

Also a healthy body with their organs have a lot more value in saving lives than a weary body after a long life. Blood is also becoming less important with artificial blood is being developed.

Family bonds are definitely something complicated but should we denounce the value of the suicidal person? Should the happiness of the many be considered more important than one’s? Should one prolong their existence just to satisfy the narrative that thing would get better, that there is a solution if you just search for it?

While a lot of aspects are up to debated, we can’t just say that a dead is a waste. :(

As you said “A suicidal person is thinking about themself, not the impact their death will have on the world”, the thing is the dying person can perceive the effect of their death on the world. This effect could bring them a sense of satisfaction and I believe they care about it. Wouldn’t you want to have a last blowout with your family and keep that last happy memory before extinguishing your life? After all, they only care for themselves and not what it causes to their family.
This is pretty close to what I meant by 'hard to understand'. You're projecting the thoughts of someone who isn't suicidal onto someone who is. What use is self-satisfaction to a dead person? Why would killing a politician matter? Why do you want happy memories if you won't be alive to cherish them? These aren't the actions of a suicidal person, they're the actions of someone who wants to do something even if they die in the process.
Dying to experience eternal rest after being forced to carry exhaustion and never ending pain.
That's a mood.