Favorite world aesthetics and why?

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
I'm quite fond of High Fantasy: wide open plains with winding long roads leading to cities of glistening spires, and casual magic galore, stark contrasts between "good lands" and "evil lands".

Science Fantasy: much of the same as above, but in spaaaaaace + FF13 style magitech, gunblades, cyber wizards, and mecha knights, oh my!

And Mahou Shojou/Sentai: costumes, over the top pastel colors, exaggerated features and absurd cuteness, very hammy and unapologetic about it, which makes deconstructions very satisfying.

I guess I like escapist stuff that either takes itself seriously with a world that's brighter than the one we live in, or stuff that doesn't take itself seriously at all. It's fun to delve in and overindulge for a bit, and it's especially fun to build worlds in which others can do the same.

How about ya'll? What does your favorite genre aesthetics do for you? Why do you like them so much?

Last edited:

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I love the interwar time period, and not just historical settings but worlds that borrow inspiration from that time. It was a time when technology developed faster than ever before in history, and I think there is a lot of interesting things that can be done with that.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I'm quite fond of High Fantasy: wide open plains with winding long roads leading to cities of glistening spires, and casual magic galore, stark contrasts between "good lands" and "evil lands".

Science Fantasy,: much of the same of above, but in spaaaaaace + FF13 style magitech, gunblades, cyber wizards, and mecha knights, oh my!

And Mahou Shojou/Sentai: costumes, over the top pastel colors, exaggerated features and absurd cuteness, very hammy and unapologetic about it, which makes deconstructions very satisfying.

I guess I like escapist stuff that either takes itself seriously with a world that's brighter than the one we live in, or stuff that doesn't take itself seriously at all. It's fun to delve in and overindulge for a bit, and it's especially fun to build worlds in which others can do the same.

How about ya'll? What does your favorite genre aesthetics do for you? Why do you like them so much?
Post world war 2 era, because that's when shit turned for the worst with subversion and stuff

longer

Balls
Low fantasy: My favorite one. Ideal setting would be a fantasy version of the middle east from the age of antiquity to the late middle ages. Preferably no roman empire since I'd much rather have a hybrid of the Argead and Achaemenid empire in it's place. Toss in some steppe nomad trade empires as well as Mesopotamian city states and I would nut in my pants.

Scifi: Cyberpunk Brazil.

TheDark0ne

I don't understand what do you mean.
Same
IMG_20220207_003304.jpg

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I like dark and gothic stuff with no bright colors except for blood, hazy outlines, victorian outfits and neogothic architecture.
Bonus points if the story is lovecraftian, horror or psychological thriller. Additional bonus points for blurring the lines of dream and reality and going meta.

I also like ww2 military-themed stuff. I will now come out as a fan of Girls und Panzer and Strike Witches franchises.

This leads to the final point, I love Mecha Musume aesthetic, in other words, girls in power armors. Think Symphogear, Kancolle, Frame Arms Girl, etc.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
I'm a sucker for more grounded cyberpunk stuff. Cyborgs, megacorporations, and street samurai, but instead of wearing trench coats and sunglasses they have button-ups and band tee-shirts.

Plantorsomething

Science Fantasy,: much of the same of above, but in spaaaaaace + FF13 style magitech, gunblades, cyber wizards, and mecha knights, oh my!

Urban hiddenworld fantasy, extra points if it’s only vaguely understood like Otherside Picnic

NobleTalon

grimdark, cuz it's cool

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
A world of forest, and multiple underground worlds. Everything evolving to fit the forest and cave systems

AryaX

A Hentai version of High Fantasy... Where the good side is more or less as usual, but the "dark side" is a lewd hentai land of corruption, full of lewd hentai critters and "bad" guys driven by sexual lust, instead of the normal desolate "mordor" land of blood thirsty monsters...

Last edited:

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
A Hentai version of High Fantasy... Where the good side is more or less as usual, but the "dark side" is a lewd hentai land of corruption, full of critters and "bad" guys driven by sexual lust, instead of the normal desolate "mordor" land of blood thirsty monsters...
This works, too. MonMusoQuest! is popular for a reason.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
A world of forest, and multiple underground worlds. Everything evolving to fit the forest and cave systems
World for World is Forest?

No caves, but lots of adaption.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
World for World is Forest?

No caves, but lots of adaption.
I like world full of forest, and a huge underground ecosystem that’s influenced by the trees. Maybe some trees are food source for nutritions rich sap or fruit, so any creature with one in their domain has high standing

high fantasy with a medieval touch. preferably a grimdark or something with contrasts as well as moral ambiguity.