• First

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Second

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Any tips for writing a synopsis, the kind that can persuade your readers?
I don't think I am bad at it, but I feel...
That I am terribly lacking in the persuasive department.
In other words, I am dissatisfied with my synopsis-writing skills...

Help.

Edit: This is Hans.Trondheim's suggestion and I am having a hard time picking. Though they are the same, their atmosphere is a little bit different.

(1)
A delusion conjured from fantasies turned real!

Alfir's demented mind transmigrated to another world. A medieval one, different from what he was born in. However, questions remain. How true is this world? Can he dominate a world that even he, its author, is unsure of?

"A new world awaits me! Kekekeke... After writing this masterpiece, it is only right I experience it, right?"
This will be a blast!

Witness Alfir as he descends to lunacy in his quest for world domination in a novel he himself wrote...

Or...

(2)

"A new world awaits me! Kekekeke... After writing this masterpiece, it is only right I experience it, right?"
This will be a blast!

Alfir's demented mind transmigrated to another world. A medieval one, different from what he was born in. However, questions remain. How true is this world? Can he dominate a world that even he, its author, is unsure of?

Witness Alfir as he descends to lunacy in his quest for world domination in a novel he himself wrote...

The latter felt Impactful while the former felt Solemn. This is just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Imagine an elevator interview, at best you have five lines to sell your idea! Don't even stop to breathe just go!

D

Deleted member 57675

Help.
Post your story link. Or your synopsis. Then we can give you some tips if we see any.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Help.
Same. Get a friend to write it for you.

Attachments

• 0D5572A9-CD8A-41C7-A0E7-2CDD68E268C2.png
    0D5572A9-CD8A-41C7-A0E7-2CDD68E268C2.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 34

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

Help.
I have a simple idea:

1. Who is the main cast.
2. What is his purpose.
3. Why is he doing it.

Just remember that the audience need to sync with the MC, so part 2 becomes a focus while part 3 is his history.

"How he does it" will be the story to tell.

Second advice, don't play the vague game from some CN novels, because it is one thing to be artsy, it is another to be annoying.

D

Deleted member 57675

First few sentences in your synopsis grabbed my attention as it stood a bit. The rest after "Follow..." sounded like a typical isekai story.

The stuff after "..." sounds different from 1st narrative. And sounds bit unclear in some parts.

You need to have something at the end that grabs your reader's attention. Otherwise if they already lost interest in the synopsis, then its unlikely they'll read it.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
Look at a bunch of old epic voice guy trailers.

No seriously.

You'll want the synopsis to be entertaining itself with a bunch of fireworks and ribbons that scream HEY COME CLOSER THERE'S FUN HERE, much in the same way that we smut writers will sometimes put scantily clad pieces of eye candy on our covers.

The synopsis is a hook as much as an actual description of your work.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Guys, here it is... My wordy synopsis.
Meanest Mob

[An original transmigration story about this certain author by the penname of Alfir]
I know this crazy guy. More than a screw loose, he is unhinged...dangerously unhinged...
He told me that he's discovered the secret to transmigration. The next day, he was gone.

Not dead-gone, but just gone.
Guess what? At some point in time and space, fiction and facts somehow miraculously intersected. Follow 'he' who sought his dreams to a different universe as the meanest mob among the countless versions of mobs in the multiverse.

This will be a blast!

RANT: Masterpiece!? SINCE WHEN!?

Witness Alfir as he descends to lunacy in his quest for world domination in a novel he himself wrote.
"Meanest Mob my ass, Manic Mister is more fitting, don't you think so? No? Why Meanest Mob? What!? Go and read it yourself!? That's rude!!"

In the world of Mutagenic Medieval where mutants are seen as something more than freaks, but CHAMPIONS!
Alfir found himself in this world after the darned wolf took a taste of him (Taste!? You were eaten!) and more.

In a world where the trajectory of technology is greatly imbalanced, Alfir sought to return it to the brutal modernity it should be in accordance with his old world's paradigm (You miss home, Alfir?) then rule it with biased authority just like the third world countries in his homeworld. The only difference is that Alfir will represent that authority.

He will face challenges, but Alfir's demented mind born from his transmigration doesn't really care.
What he knows is that he's a mob walking a path of self-destruction aware that all of this is just a dream (Or is it?)~
then wake up in the real world drool all over his place.

A delusion conjured from fantasies... TURNED REAL!
But how much of what you see is truly real?

"I am already here, so I should do something... World Domination doesn't sound bad."
"That's a brilliant plan! I will aim for World Domination because it is my childhood dream!"
"What!? My reason is weak? Why World Domination? Well... BECAUSE IT IS MY WORLD!"

IT IS MINE!
MY WORLD!
I WILL CLAIM IT!

D

Deleted member 54065

Meanest Mob

[An original transmigration story about this certain author by the penname of Alfir]
I know this crazy guy. More than a screw loose, he is unhinged...dangerously unhinged...
He told me that he's discovered the secret to transmigration. The next day, he was gone.

Guess what? At some point in time and space, fiction and facts somehow miraculously intersected. Follow 'he' who sought his dreams to a different universe as the meanest mob among the countless versions of mobs in the multiverse.

This will be a blast!

Witness Alfir as he descends to lunacy in his quest for world domination in a novel he himself wrote.
"Meanest Mob my ass, Manic Mister is more fitting, don't you think so? No? Why Meanest Mob? What!? Go and read it yourself!? That's rude!!"

In the world of Mutagenic Medieval where mutants are seen as something more than freaks, but CHAMPIONS!
Alfir found himself in this world after the darned wolf took a taste of him (Taste!? You were eaten!) and more.

In a world where the trajectory of technology is greatly imbalanced, Alfir sought to return it to the brutal modernity it should be in accordance with his old world's paradigm (You miss home, Alfir?) then rule it with biased authority just like the third world countries in his homeworld. The only difference is that Alfir will represent that authority.

He will face challenges, but Alfir's demented mind born from his transmigration doesn't really care.
What he knows is that he's a mob walking a path of self-destruction aware that all of this is just a dream (Or is it?)~

"I am already here, so I should do something... World Domination doesn't sound bad."
"That's a brilliant plan! I will aim for World Domination because it is my childhood dream!"
"What!? My reason is weak? Why World Domination? Well... BECAUSE IT IS MY WORLD!"

IT IS MINE!
MY WORLD!
I WILL CLAIM IT!
My good man, I think that kind of synopsis wouldn't click to the readers, but instead turn some of them away due to the wall of text.

While synopsis answers the question of 'why we should pick up your book', the answer should also be brief and concise.

Who is the MC? What is his problem? What is your story all about?

Try to avoid using actual dialogue in a synopsis. If you have to use one, do it sparingly.

D

Deleted member 57675

Better to cut the second half and just stick it with this.

This will be a blast!

Do put your story in your signature or your about oage on your Forum's profile. Its much easier to look up your story and provide feedback or let forum users to read it faster than searching it up.

D

Deleted member 54065

For example...

Alfir's demented mind transmigrated to another world. A medieval one, different from what he was born in.

However, questions remain. How true is this world? Can he dominate a world that even he is unsure of?

This is a just an example based from what I understood at your synopsis. As the author, you can add a few more spice but definitely don't write a wall of text. Clearly, there's your MC (Alfir), his struggle (dementia, truth about his new world), and the overall theme of your story (psychological).

Last edited by a moderator:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Meanest Mob

This will be a blast!

IT IS MINE!
MY WORLD!
I WILL CLAIM IT!
You lost me at "I know this guy"

I feel like I am scrolling through a clickbait AD filled webpage with your wall of text.

Can you cut it down to 150 words?

Also, don't switch from 1st person then 3rd person then psycho 1st again.
For example...

Alfir's demented mind transmigrated to another world. A medieval one, different from what he was born in.

However, questions remain. How true is this world? Can he dominate a world that even he is unsure of?

This is a just an example based from what I understood at your synopsis. As the author, you can add a few more spice but definitely don't write a wall of text. Clearly, there's your MC (Alfir), his struggle (dementia, truth about his new world), and the overall theme of your story (psychological).
Yes, this is short and sweet. While it might completely derail your whole "this is a crazy work, WOW!" vibe, it is readable.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Thanks, @IndigosWill, and @Hans.Trondheim. This is the new synopsis now based on your suggestions, it's truly a big help, I appreciate it.

Meanest Mob
However, questions remain. How true is this world? Can he dominate a world that even he, its author, is unsure of?

This will be a blast!

In a world where the trajectory of technology is greatly imbalanced, Alfir sought to return it to the brutal modernity it should be in accordance with his old world's paradigm. He wanted to rule it with biased authority just like the third world countries in his homeworld; the only difference is that Alfir will represent that authority.

He will face challenges but Alfir's twisted mind born from his transmigration experience doesn't really care.

D

Deleted member 54065

How about this one?

This will be a blast!

I think this is much better.

Or...

This will be a blast!

Brief and concise, and with the dialogue to give the readers an idea of how 'crazy' Alfir is.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
How about this one?

This will be a blast!

I think this is much better.

Or...

This will be a blast!

Brief and concise, and with the dialogue to give the readers an idea of how 'crazy' Alfir is.
I like the second one.

The first one just tells me about Alfir's madness then shows me his inner thoughts while the second one does it in reverse. It might not make sense to you, but I rather you show me the bells and whistles on the car first then tell me about its specs.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
It's a hard decision to make, really, it's just a shift in the order of what to come first, but the message is already changing to that degree.

It's transmigration to a novel Alfir wrote himself, like the Novel's Extra and Author's POV. That's the premise. The first one is subtly suggesting Alfir is the author in a sneaky and mysterious way. The second one has more oomph with the dialogue suddenly interfering in the narration...

(1)Sneaky and solemn, or (2)Direct and Impactful. It's a hard choice to make...
I like the second one.

The first one just tells me about Alfir's madness then shows me his inner thoughts while the second one does it in reverse. It might not make sense to you, but I rather you show me the bells and whistles on the car first then tell me about its specs.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
Meanest Mob

This will be a blast!

IT IS MINE!
MY WORLD!
I WILL CLAIM IT!

Kill the first half. do some clean-up on the second. It should be serviceable with that.