• Thread starter Deleted member 89995
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 54065

i think when it comes to storywriting, it all comes down to style

its not the genre, not the plot, not the characters, but literally the style

cuz style is basically how you execute it and readers can like a genre they don't usually like if the style is good

so yeah style is the most important aspect of a story

the story or plot may be good, but style is not good, and that wont make me keep reading
I guess this part's conclusion is based from your preferences, rather than the objective truth. Like characters, setting and plot, style is just one component/part of the story, and they work as a whole, rather than a separate, single element.

Jemini

I've gone through an exercise of trying to rate what aspects of storytelling are most important. Through all that effort, I have reached the obvious conclusion. They're all important, in near equal proportions. Favoring one to the detriment of the others will make for a poor story. You can, as an author, be particularly good at one aspect of a story and show more strength in that area, but you still need to dedicate significant effort to all other areas of story-telling.

Don't get me wrong, the aspects do not need to be perfectly in balance. One aspect can be stronger than the others. Ultimately, the story will be good in some unique way regardless of which aspect gets favored, but the rest do still need to meet a certain minimum standard.

JHY

I disagree. It's all about that Forward. Just kidding. I think substance matters most. Is the story even about anything significant? Does it convey an emotional truth? Will it inspire people? Get them to think? Help them feel understood and less alone in the world? Will it be remembered after the author died? In my opinion, people need to quit worrying about minutae like "world building" or "magic systems", and dig deep in their heart for something worthwile to say, then put pen to paper.

D

Deleted member 54065

I disagree. It's all about that Forward. Just kidding. I think substance matters most. Is the story even about anything significant? Does it convey an emotional truth? Will it inspire people? Get them to think? Help them feel understood and less alone in the world? Will it be remembered after the author died? In my opinion, people need to quit worrying about minutae like "world building" or "magic systems", and dig deep in their heart for something worthwile to say, then put pen to paper.
I disagree to your disagreement. This is SH. Smut is enough. Smut is life. Smut is everything. /s

Premier

It's all about how many dogs you can fit into the story. The more dogs the better.

LostLibrarian

Style is what gets eyes on your work.
"Story" is what keeps people invested in your work...

If it's just about numbers, putting more focus on style works.
But you might end up like those CN-WN translations where people skim the chapters to the degree that they miss half of the important points, because at chapter 300 they just read because they started it...

Kouneko

cuz style is basically how you execute it and readers can like a genre they don't usually like if the style is good

the story or plot may be good, but style is not good, and that wont make me keep reading
I disagree, when comes to storytelling is needed to do a balancing act, even if you can't do good characters if everything else is great people will like what was read.

Like a cake, even if some parts are bad so long as the cake as a whole is good people will like.

Tumbmar

I feel if that were true, my series would probably be one of most popular on the site. Quality of style and form of composition maybe objective in some cases, but it's primary purpose is to help the reader immerse themselves into your writing. The style of my stories lends well to that effect for the kind of narratives I have, but is completely out-of-market in today's world (I think because of the amount of trouble I have in marketing it).

In fact, your argument falls face flat when considering that something like Twilight or 50 Shades of Gray, that have awful writing in most people's opinions, have somehow the biggest fan bases. To us the story maybe crap but millions of others... probably not...

Story is still the most important piece of a narrative. If the story isn't good then no matter how good everything else is no one will give it a second chance. This doesn't just apply to written media, but also movies, television, anime, etc. I've seen so many shows and movies with extremely good soundscapes and visuals only to have a meh or lackluster story, ultimately leading them to not be remembered fondly later.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
If that is so, I am going to write my next book with wingdings font.

❄︎♒♏♐︎◆︎⧫︎◆︎❒︎♏♓︎⬧︎ ■︎□︎⬥︎📪︎ □︎●︎♎︎ ❍︎♋︎■︎✏︎

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Nah, there are so many different aspects of writing a good story that none are particularly the most important. For one to be considered the most important it would require that the story still be good, even if all the other elements of the story fall flat. Style isn't even close to that since whether a style is good is dependant on the reader and is mostly subjective. Plus, a style is mainly used to play off the plot, grammar, spelling, story, and characters in order to make the story flow better.

For example, you can have all the ingredients for bread but the style in which the bread is formed into can better the experience by making it look better. That said, the bread will still taste roughly the same no matter what it is formed into but it won't always be as enjoyable compared to the specially formed bread.

Style is important but it isn't the most important when compared to the other elements of the story.

HellerFeed

I wouldn't go so far as saying 'Style' is far more important than 'the story or the characters
But Style should be considered as the final topping, that will eventually add life to your writing.
If you are writing style is crappy, even the best story would be boring, whereas if your style is good, vice versa.

Also, style gives your writing an identity to distinguish you from other writers.
There are times when one reader can just guess whose the author is just by reading a random para.

ACertainPassingUser

No, it's always about reader acceptance.

If your story is beautiful, very realistic, 3d character personality, have depth, lots of development, and perfect grammar.

It still won't get accepted by reader it contain : Harem/no-harem, frustrating unrequited romance, MC considered dense (even tho it's impossible to know the girl's feeling in real life), MC not OP, boring development, MC not talking straight of Modern rule, No System/System too weak due to being made in JavaScript instead of C++/system too op it's like author self insert, MC making stupid but realistic decision, no instant gratification, Abusive parent (even if story in medieval), no GL/BL, etc.

and the most important :
FANSERVICE

it's all about the reader if you really want your story to be read. And it's Also about the publisher if you want the story to be published.