How much detail can there be in graphic scenes, before it becomes too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Nuuuu, I'm still farming a few messages....

As for the graphic part, my tolerance level is high. I watch Saw with making much fuss. As for the examples you've given. I think example #1 has a similar case in Dungeon Defence (not sure cuz I dropped that). Example #2 tolerable level would be just getting across the fact that the victim will get traumatize for the act. The deed itself need not to be so detail. Lastly, for example #3, you could go all gore on it. Violence and death is more acceptable in literature than traumatizing sexual/deviant acts. It would be preferable if you describe the scene more vividly than the characters' thoughts. On that note though, a psychopath's thought process can be pretty interesting as well.
Doggo has a way higher tolerance level than I expected XD

just go to my threads, since it's became a spam thread now

Well just do it, pretty sure there's some readers who do enjoy reading those kind of stuff
I think the only thing is that people expect R18 to be sexy, and if I’m understanding what renne is writing about, this isn’t the “sexy” kind of rape fantasy, which is a very different kind of thing.

Anon2.0

[Dia]
In all honesty I don’t think there’s a limit? The only thing I can think of is the tone your story gives off, the description is limited by that. So if it’s a harsh survival world, well then tons of gore would probably fit right in.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
In all honesty I don’t think there’s a limit? The only thing I can think of is the tone your story gives off, the description is limited by that. So if it’s a harsh survival world, well then tons of gore would probably fit right in.
Well I mean, there’s never a limit to what you can write.

The bigger question is whether other people will like it or not.

Anon2.0

[Dia]
Well I mean, there’s never a limit to what you can write.

The bigger question is whether other people will like it or not.
Then the question is are you writing for a certain niche or whatever no?

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Hmm...bits of the world will be harsh, but parts will also be luxurious.
I think the best description of the tone would be similar to Game of Thrones?
However, the setting won't be like GoT, if that makes sense...
Hmm...the world my story is in has a lot more magical stuff going on.
X

Anon2.0

[Dia]
Hmm...bits of the world will be harsh, but parts will also be luxurious.
I think the best description of the tone would be similar to Game of Thrones?
However, the setting won't be like GoT, if that makes sense...
Hmm...the world my story is in has a lot more magical stuff going on.
X
Game of thrones was pretty realistic up until dragons became a thing... And the descriptions used then were good? I guess? It’s been a while since I read it anything in that series...

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Then the question is are you writing for a certain niche or whatever no?
Well, I mean, you could also be writing entirely for yourself (e.g. a venting diary), in which case the niche gets so narrow that it doesn't apply to anyone except yourself.

There's always a trade off between mainstream (more readers) and niche (less readers).

The more niche you go, eventually you won't have readers at all because nobody is interested/likes it. XD

Nahrenne

Game of thrones was pretty realistic up until dragons became a thing... And the descriptions used then were good? I guess? It’s been a while since I read it anything in that series...
It's really just the tone that is similar.
X

Anon2.0

[Dia]
Well, I mean, you could also be writing entirely for yourself (e.g. a venting diary), in which case the niche gets so narrow that it doesn't apply to anyone except yourself.

There's always a trade off between mainstream (more readers) and niche (less readers).

The more niche you go, eventually you won't have readers at all because nobody is interested/likes it. XD
XD true, but if you feel like you’re inhibiting yourself and unable to express what you really want there would be no point to writing.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
XD true, but if you feel like you’re inhibiting yourself and unable to express what you really want there would be no point to writing.
Agreed! XD

But then again, lots of people write for different reasons.

Some people write to be popular, and other people write to express what they want!

Nahrenne

Agreed! XD

But then again, lots of people write for different reasons.

Some people write to be popular, and other people write to express what they want!
I just write what comes into my mind from my imagination.
'-'

X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
At this point, I would say just let your own style of writing develop. Paint the scene that you want to show to the reader with the words that you want to use. There will be people who will get disturbed and people who appreciate the style of writing. @Nahrenne

Status
Not open for further replies.