What are your minor reading pet-peeves?

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I use text to speech, so every equals in: ==================, is said. Not much of an issue until you realize ~half of the litRPGs here use it as a border for stat screens. Funnily enough the equals sign is the only symbol where chaining them together pronounces every one.

equalsequalsequalsequalsequals
Any ways what are your minor reading pet-peeves?

Simple_Russian_Boi

A "normal" human | Occasionally a cat
Very fast-paced novels that just glance over every interesting thing. Why time-skip the training arc? Can't you show us how your MC's getting familiar with their power? Can't you use it to set some bounderies about their abilities?

Perfect MC's are annoying too. Or boring. Can't choose with them, really.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

if we talk about minor pet peeves then repeating words.
"I walked into the seedy bar. The bar's sign was 'Nelly's brew'. There weren't a lot of people in the bar" vs "I walked into the bar. Its sign said 'Nelly's brew'. There weren't a lot of people"

LilRora

Mostly formless
I find more the more I read, but one I can mention off the top of my head is when an author inserts notes in the middle of a chapter. It's distracting and ruins immersion.

Few people do that, but enough that I stumbled into two recently.

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Very fast-paced novels that just glance over every interesting thing. Why time-skip the training arc? Can't you show us how your MC's getting familiar with his power? Can't you use it to set some bounderies about their abilities?

Can't express how much I agree with this. If there is one single trope i hate the most, even more than harem, smut, ecchi then that is time-skips.

Author build up hype over this new region, mc even gets items that are op from that place, there's a whole butt loads of foreshadowing to that region's adventure buuuuuuuut when it finally comes the time?

" 5 years later

Mc now returning from his journey to kanto region, walks in the street of his old home. Many things happened over the five years, coming close to death several times and uncovering some really deep secrets that helped him understand the magic world.

Anyway, back to gibberish between mc and his 5year old love interest he left behind in the starter town.

All this while she hasn't stepped one foot out of the house and hasn't grown one bit. "

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Very fast-paced novels that just glance over every interesting thing. Why time-skip the training arc? Can't you show us how your MC's getting familiar with his power? Can't you use it to set some bounderies about their abilities?

Oof. I feel very called out. This just makes it very clear that I need to put more effort into the training arc for my second novel than I have.:sweating_profusely:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Random italicized word. I was reading 86 Volume 11, and she randomly wrote "[the squadron's] vice captain." like why? You think I'd have somehow messed that detail, which turned out to be worthless to the story, if you didnt italicize it? Italicized words and phrases that are italicized for no reason are stupid. Only italicize things like boat names, book titles, words in other languages, etc. The stuff you're supposed it italicize

Num

Nonstandard fonts and too big paragraphs (though the second part is mostly due to ADD making it extremely hard to read)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Vampires. Specifically type 2 vampires. Whenever I read about them I get the minor urge to disembowel someone.
What is a type 2 vampire? And what is a type 1 vampire too, btw?

Is there a type 3 vampire perchance?
I use text to speech, so every equals in: ==================, is said. Not much of an issue until you realize ~half of the litRPGs here use it as a border for stat screens. Funnily enough the equals sign is the only symbol where chaining them together pronounces every one.

equalsequalsequalsequalsequals
Any ways what are your minor reading pet-peeves?
As for an actual pet peeve... *ponder ponder*

Timeskips on novels with child protagonists. If I wanted to read about a teen protagonist, I'd choose a teen protagonist novel, thank you very much. Don't give me those timeskips ruining the child protagonist and making them become a teen protagonist! >.<

... Unless there's an actual plot reason that requires the timeskip that is. I'm fine with necessary timeskips, but don't give it to me on a slice of life story. I want to see a child protagonist doing child things in slice of life, not a teen protagonist doing teen things!

J_Chemist

Very fast-paced novels that just glance over every interesting thing. Why time-skip the training arc? Can't you show us how your MC's getting familiar with their power? Can't you use it to set some bounderies about their abilities?
As someone who's written out the training arcs thus far for my MC; training arcs take time. A good, decent Arc has the opportunity to take a long period and take up several chapters that most readers honestly don't want to read. Or, it can be glazed over and the Author can provide only the necessary details. It can take one chapter of an overview, or it can take 5+ if the author gets into the nitty gritty. It's mainly just choice as to whether or not the Author wants to spend the time, derail from the main plot, and showcase the "leveling up" of the MC. Most choose to dodge and get on with it, as they may not have the page/chapter capacity to include it (especially if they're under a time constraint like a company deadline).

BACK TO THE THREAD-

Really grinds my gears with the MC gets bitches but he's an absolute moron. Or when the bitches are airheads with 1 personality trait that's their "shtick". Brother my last gf went through four personality mood swings in a two hour period. You mean to tell me this chick in the book never changes her POV on a topic through an entire series? kys.
Random italicized word. I was reading 86 Volume 11, and she randomly wrote "[the squadron's] vice captain." like why? You think I'd have somehow messed that detail, which turned out to be worthless to the story, if you didnt italicize it? Italicized words and phrases that are italicized for no reason are stupid. Only italicize things like boat names, book titles, words in other languages, etc. The stuff you're supposed it italicize
That got me too when I was reading that volume. So glad I'm not the only one that went "wtfwhy?"

SailusGebel

Really grinds my gears with the MC gets bitches but he's an absolute moron. Or when the bitches are airheads with 1 personality trait that's their "shtick". Brother my last gf went through four personality mood swings in a two hour period. You mean to tell me this chick in the book never changes her POV on a topic through an entire series? kys.
Bruh, he said minor.