What are your minor reading pet-peeves?

D

Deleted member 54065

Uncapitalized first words in a sentence, wrong use of punctuations, and use of 'h' in some words where it shouldn't. My students are fond of these 'cutesy' errors, and as a former literature teacher, I make sure to correct these...or their narratives would read stupid.

sleepykuya

I'm not a fan of when a character is speaking and writers format it-- "like this", he said. Basically, using punctuation marks like a period or comma AFTER the quotation mark. I can read through it, but it makes me want to edit it for them.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
Anything that is written in double-space. Purely personal, but it just reminded me of lazy students trying to cheat their page count for an essay.

That, and dialogue that is basically an info-dump, or expositionary, between characters that should not need it. Like,
"Hey, have you seen John?"
"John Smith, the Town Only Blacksmith from down the street? I heard that his swords are the best in town. Yes, he should be in the Blacksmith Building down the street."
"Okay, thanks. I just want to ask him to come down to the Town Only Tarven, Gillian's Pub, to have some of the Town's Signature Ale together. You coming?"
"Oh, Town's Signature Ale? The only drink the three of us friends, growing up here for twenty years of our life and never left the town, ever have? I'm coming!"
Like, c'mon, man. You can do better than that! Have your language teach' never teach you Show, Don't Tell? At least try a little!

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
Timeskips on novels with child protagonists. If I wanted to read about a teen protagonist, I'd choose a teen protagonist novel, thank you very much. Don't give me those timeskips ruining the child protagonist and making them become a teen protagonist! >.<

... Unless there's an actual plot reason that requires the timeskip that is. I'm fine with necessary timeskips, but don't give it to me on a slice of life story. I want to see a child protagonist doing child things in slice of life, not a teen protagonist doing teen things!
I admit to having a time skip but that was just letting my child protagonist grow into a slightly taller child protagonist rather than give her the easy way out from the childhood I gave her

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I admit to having a time skip but that was just letting my child protagonist grow into a slightly taller child protagonist rather than give her the easy way out from the childhood I gave her
Ah, small timeskips during childhood never felt like a problem to me.

Especially in stuff like reincarnation novels where the protagonist starts as a baby. I certainly don't expect them to stay a baby forever and like... Going from 5 to 8 years old can still lead to plenty of lovely child protag moments anyways~

I get bothered when you go from like... 8 to 14 years old in a slice of life story... Then it usually starts feeling like a completely different story as it stops focusing on cute family stuff and more on romance and whatever and it's just... Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegh.

It can really ruin the story to me. I just don't want the child protagonist story to stop being one unless there is an actual plot reason for that~