Discuss: Eastern Asia culture

detroitapollo

As the title says, let's discuss East Asian culture. We are all aware, at least, ancient China helped forged countries like Korea and Japan to what they are now. From their culture and alphabets, to food and art. If you turn a page in their history, ancient China pretty much influenced spearheaded Eastern culture. But this begs the question, why ancient China seemed to have lost their influence especially on post Heian period Japan.

Any thoughts here that you want to share?

Agentt

Thighs
*skitters around in south east asia*
Quite a weird topic to bring up honestly.

Ummm, I studied that Confucius and Lao Dzi guy a little?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Japan became more isolationist. Then there is also the difference in language.

The grammar and structure of Japanese is different, and language often affects the culture in many ways since how people communicate meaning is different.

Also, look at how different North Korea and South Korea are. A lot of it is Al’s determined by the government and person in charge. The shogunate in Japan was different from the many warring states China had.

There are many reasons, but as far as influence is today, it has a lot to do with what happened in China during the 1960’s as well as who controls China today. If we go further back, the western countries and their colonies had a bigger vice grip on China than they did in Japan.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I think the han dynasty started in 200 bc so historians would call that the classic era.

TotallyHuman

From ai
It is true that ancient China had a significant influence on Eastern culture and played a major role in shaping the history of various surrounding countries, including Korea and Japan. However, as with any form of historical change, there were several factors that led to the decline of China's influence in Japan during the post-Heian period.

One factor was the growth of powerful Japanese clans during the Heian period, which led to increased independence and self-sustenance in Japan. As Japan's own culture developed and became more sophisticated, Japan became less reliant on China for cultural and technological advancements.

Additionally, trade relations between China and Japan decreased significantly during the post-Heian period due to internal conflicts and political turmoil within China itself. This led to a decline in communication and cultural exchange between the two countries.

Lastly, the arrival of European traders and missionaries in Asia during the Age of Exploration had a significant impact on the dynamics of cultural exchange in the region. Japan and other countries became exposed to new ideas and technologies from the West, which gradually shifted the focus away from influence from China.

Overall, while ancient China had an undeniable impact on the development of Eastern culture, it is important to acknowledge the role of historical and cultural change in the decline of its influence in post-Heian period Japan.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
China was historically just a large, flat, plain that got conquered by some new barbarian every few years. They are a people born to be subjugated and enslaved. Even when they weren't getting raped and conquered by the barbarian of the week, they fought amongst each other. Vicious warlords tearing the country apart seemed to be the status quo up until the modern era. China is such a horrible place, and the people their are so stupid, most of its ancient history was completely made up to make Chinese people think they were something other than slaves and peasants. Japan taking a turn conquering the Chinese was just par for the course. Now China is still the same barbaric place filled with slaves and peasants, exactly as it was a thousand years ago, except now they are slightly more technologically advanced.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
I would say that Chinese influence is not lost, much less Ancient particles, but they become more diluted, mixed, or otherwise evolved to become what we would consider Japanese, Korean, or SEA cultures. Keep in mind that culture and traditions are not static, but very much alive and breathing, and like all things living, they change over time if they are to survive into the modern day.

Much of today's practices of respect for your elders, and the overly flowery words and phases that Chinese culture are known for, all stern from eons ago, by a guy called Confucius, and the importance of literature and education of Han China unto the population, as that is how the select for a government official, thus, everyone was thrive for it.

As for why the Western world seldom comes into contact with Chinese culture, it all comes down to the political climate right now. See that Japan and S. Korea are two of the largest political allies of the US, NATO, and thus the Western world AGAINST China, it is not hard to see why there is an explosion in popularity of one, and the lack of the other. If you are in SEA, such as Lao, Vietnam, or the region around them, then the Chinese culture, or the influences of Chinese cultures is everywhere.

Lodur

Eight virgin
Because there was no such country as ancient China.
There was Han Empire. The Chinese ethnical majority call themself "Han people" even now. The name "China" originates from Qin Empire, which predates Han Empire at roughly the same place (dynasty changed, but people lasted).

Last edited:

detroitapollo

*skitters around in south east asia*
Quite a weird topic to bring up honestly.

Ummm, I studied that Confucius and Lao Dzi guy a little?
Where in SEA are you from?

I want to know because I mainly write Eastern stories so I might write your country's story in the near future.
Because there was no such country as ancient China.
Yes. No such thing as ancient China, but people generally simplyfy Tang, Han, Qin China as ancient China.

Cmiiw
There was Han Empire. The Chinese ethnical majority call themself "Han people" even now. The name "China" originates from Qin Empire, which predates Han Empire at roughly the same place (dynasty changed, but people lasted).
Sucks that Qin disintegrated.
I would say that Chinese influence is not lost, much less Ancient particles, but they become more diluted, mixed, or otherwise evolved to become what we would consider Japanese, Korean, or SEA cultures. Keep in mind that culture and traditions are not static, but very much alive and breathing, and like all things living, they change over time if they are to survive into the modern day.

Much of today's practices of respect for your elders, and the overly flowery words and phases that Chinese culture are known for, all stern from eons ago, by a guy called Confucius, and the importance of literature and education of Han China unto the population, as that is how the select for a government official, thus, everyone was thrive for it.

As for why the Western world seldom comes into contact with Chinese culture, it all comes down to the political climate right now. See that Japan and S. Korea are two of the largest political allies of the US, NATO, and thus the Western world AGAINST China, it is not hard to see why there is an explosion in popularity of one, and the lack of the other. If you are in SEA, such as Lao, Vietnam, or the region around them, then the Chinese culture, or the influences of Chinese cultures is everywhere.
I'm from Philippines and Chinese culture is pretty ingrained in us.

We really can't mix culture with government nowadays. If only more people read about china pre-CCP them they'll understand that pretty much most of asia was influenced by it.

Also I agree with your statement about countries that border mainland.
China was historically just a large, flat, plain that got conquered by some new barbarian every few years. They are a people born to be subjugated and enslaved. Even when they weren't getting raped and conquered by the barbarian of the week, they fought amongst each other. Vicious warlords tearing the country apart seemed to be the status quo up until the modern era. China is such a horrible place, and the people their are so stupid, most of its ancient history was completely made up to make Chinese people think they were something other than slaves and peasants. Japan taking a turn conquering the Chinese was just par for the course. Now China is still the same barbaric place filled with slaves and peasants, exactly as it was a thousand years ago, except now they are slightly more technologically advanced.
Err... Modern peasants in what sense? Being slave to tech? If we go by that analogy then pretty much everyone in this world is a slave nowadays.
From ai
It is true that ancient China had a significant influence on Eastern culture and played a major role in shaping the history of various surrounding countries, including Korea and Japan. However, as with any form of historical change, there were several factors that led to the decline of China's influence in Japan during the post-Heian period.

One factor was the growth of powerful Japanese clans during the Heian period, which led to increased independence and self-sustenance in Japan. As Japan's own culture developed and became more sophisticated, Japan became less reliant on China for cultural and technological advancements.

Additionally, trade relations between China and Japan decreased significantly during the post-Heian period due to internal conflicts and political turmoil within China itself. This led to a decline in communication and cultural exchange between the two countries.

Lastly, the arrival of European traders and missionaries in Asia during the Age of Exploration had a significant impact on the dynamics of cultural exchange in the region. Japan and other countries became exposed to new ideas and technologies from the West, which gradually shifted the focus away from influence from China.

Overall, while ancient China had an undeniable impact on the development of Eastern culture, it is important to acknowledge the role of historical and cultural change in the decline of its influence in post-Heian period Japan.
You really used ai on this? Man the writing is indistinguishable to human's.

Last edited:

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Err... Modern peasants in what sense? Being slave to tech? If we go by that analogy then pretty much everyone in this world is a slave nowadays.
Modern peasant as in slave like working conditions, no freedom, and most importantly no Faustian spirit.

detroitapollo

Modern peasant as in slave like working conditions, no freedom, and most importantly no Faustian spirit.
You just reminded me Apple factories in China that forces their employees to work 12-hours a day, six days a week, which kinda sucks. I feel bad to modern Chinese people...

Lloyd

Professional Writer
You just reminded me Apple factories in China that forces their employees to work 12-hours a day, six days a week, which kinda sucks. I feel bad to modern Chinese people...
What do you mean modern Chinese people? It's basically been the exact same for three thousand years. That's my point.

Agentt

Thighs
Where in SEA are you from?

I want to know because I mainly write Eastern stories so I might write your country's story in the near future.
India!
I doubt that would ever help ya though, nothing really interesting happened here, compared to china and stuff.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
We sell wives here and slaves abroad. If you find an OFW in your country, be kind to them. Thanks.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
India!
I doubt that would ever help ya though, nothing really interesting happened here, compared to china and stuff.
Wait, I thought India is considered South Asian, not SEA?
Also, mate, you got a whole ass sub-continent worth of culture to dig through! Honestly, India, Africa, and Eastern Europe are some of the most unexplored regions of the world in western media. I would love to see them portrayed here and there, ya know?
I'm from Philippines and Chinese culture is pretty ingrained in us.

We really can't mix culture with government nowadays. If only more people read about china pre-CCP them they'll understand that pretty much most of asia was influenced by it.

Also I agree with your statement about countries that border mainland.
Yea, and even those that do not border China also have a hefty influence from them. Singapore and Malay came to mind almost immediately. It is really funny to see Vietnam, my homeland, detest the CCP so much, yet, we are also very much influenced by them in almost every facet of our lives. I supposed 1,000 years of domination would do that to ya, huh?

Agentt

Thighs
Wait, I thought India is considered South Asian, not SEA?
Meh

Also, mate, you got a whole ass sub-continent worth of culture to dig through! Honestly, India, Africa, and Eastern Europe are some of the most unexplored regions of the world in western media. I would love to see them portrayed here and there, ya know?
Yeah, unexplored is a big factor there, there really isn't much interest regarding that. Atleast Eastern Europe had their witch hunting thing going for them.
As for intresting stuff, Jungle Book and Kim, both by Rudyard Kipling are fine enough books based in India

Lodur

Eight virgin
India!
🤯 What do you mean by "nothing really interesting"? Just history of India not one bit poorer, that history of China. In all other (especially crucial for good story material) fields India exceeds China: religion, philosophy, mythology, all kinds of literature, self-cultivation systems, and so on, and so forth.