What is a good starting word count for beginners

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
More than one. The hardest one to get over is the first word.

On a less serious note, depends on what you want to get out of your writing, how often you want to write, and lastly, just the right feel to it, really. For daily writing, I suggest about 500-1000 as a starter, but you can go for as long as 2000. Just find a good natural stopping point. Some stories just feel right with 1500, and some with 3000. Depends on the tone of your story as well. something light-hearted should be short, and something engaging and deep should be long enough to keep the reader in, but not too long as they become a drag to read through.

Ultimately, it is something you have to feel for yourself.

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
I find that I feel better with one 2k chapter per day, than with 5k, 10k or 15k. I sleep better, research more, and I am less nervous. And I think it shows in my writing. Don't push yourself too hard. You won't feel well doing so.

D

Deleted member 54065

need a suggestions
The question you should be asking is, did your chapter manage to answer the questions you want answered in that particular part of the story?

Minding about word counts is fine, but word counts are highly dependent on your genre, style and flow of narrative.

Try to just write. Then shave off the extra words AFTER you've written everything you need to write.

Mortrexo

need a suggestions
A good word count per chapter is 2000. It gives a ten-minute read for those who read without skipping words (average reader), and it makes the chapter long enough for those who read skipping words to make the chapter fleshy enough. Of course, in the end, it depends on your personal ability and enthusiasm.
If it is not serious writing, choosing a word count that makes you feel comfortable is best.

Succubiome

What are you writing?
Why are you writing it?
Who are you writing for/who is your target audience?

Outside of knowing those, I'd agree with the above people in general.