Your thoughts on the live action adaptation of One Piece

How do you feel about the way that Netflix adapted the One Piece manga/anime?

• Total voters

OP1000

Hello!!!!
For all the One Piece fans on this site that have seen the live action adaptation, how do you guys feel about the way Netflix handled the adaptation of the manga/anime?

I personally thought that it was a decent adaptation with some good moments while also adding a number of changes as opposed to the original that I did not agree with.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
If you’re someone who reads the manga and watches the anime, I’d say it’s 50/50 whether you like it.

personally I hated it a lot.
Just doesn’t sit right with me at all.
Not as bad as cowboy bebop, good cgi, but Luffy just doesn’t feel right at all.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Na.. It just not have the essence that one piece embodies.. though I did like the clips of mihawk from the show but that's all. Mihawk truly captured the essence of the character. That's all I found good about it from YouTube clips.

It's a good reminder that some show just don't translate to a good live action adaptation..

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I won't watch it.
Probably for the best, I gave up after 2 episodes.

Pacing issues, characters don’t look like they should. One piece had always been about fantastic looking characters with ridiculous heights for some of them.

Live action doesn’t seem to care about accurate heights.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I hate it. It's just become a good adaptation due to the shit adaptation we had before that lowered the level of "good" in an abysmal level.

BigBadBoi

I don't watch one piece but it's apparently an ok adaptation considering the budget. Inferior to the actual anime but normies will eat that shit up. Expectations for live action adaptations are so low that this is considered amazing when it's pretty mid if you've already read/watched one piece.

Darkcrow.

Tarnished
Well, It is probably one of the best if not the best live adaptation ever made (Even though it is shitty compared to the anime/manga)

HellerFeed

I would say its the best anime adaption to live action up to date.
The people who usually avoids one piece because of its 'manga/anime' would love the introduction to the OP world.

I would still say the anime despite having old animation is superior than the live action version.
But I would say I love the characters of One piece in the live action. Just watching the baratie, going merry, and other characters were all very interesting. The pacing of the live action is quite rushed, after 3rd episode its quite well balanced.

They compiled 45+ anime episodes in 8, 1hr episodes.

The favorite character was buggy and Mihawk so far.

The CGI and action was quite tone down. I hope the next season they invest more in better vfc and CGI.
I would give it 7.5/10 rating.

The only downside I would say is that Ussop character had really weak story.
Koby and his friend got a lot of screentime, which was new.

Also introduction of garp so early was nice change of pace.

I think animating season 2 and further chapters would be quite a hurdle to animate in live action.
Best wishes for the one piece netflix team.
Cant wait to see chopper, robin in the next season! :D

Vnator

A lot of people complaining about the pacing here, but I enjoyed the faster pace of the live action. I'm rewatching the anime, and I can't stand its incredibly slow pacing where they drag out scenes for way too long. Little garden in particular involves a lot of staring that could fill up an entire episode's worth of runtime.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I would say its the best anime adaption to live action up to date.
The people who usually avoids one piece because of its 'manga/anime' would love the introduction to the OP world.

I would still say the anime despite having old animation is superior than the live action version.
But I would say I love the characters of One piece in the live action. Just watching the baratie, going merry, and other characters were all very interesting. The pacing of the live action is quite rushed, after 3rd episode its quite well balanced.

They compiled 45+ anime episodes in 8, 1hr episodes.

The favorite character was buggy and Mihawk so far.

The CGI and action was quite tone down. I hope the next season they invest more in better vfc and CGI.
I would give it 7.5/10 rating.

The only downside I would say is that Ussop character had really weak story.
Koby and his friend got a lot of screentime, which was new.

Also introduction of garp so early was nice change of pace.

I think animating season 2 and further chapters would be quite a hurdle to animate in live action.
Best wishes for the one piece netflix team.
Cant wait to see chopper, robin in the next season! :D
Ussop has always had a weak story even in the manga. His entire backstory is a huge stereotype, black kid who's father leaves his baby momma to join a gang.

BlackKnightX

I've only seen a snippet of it but haven't watched it yet. From what I've seen so far, though, there are a few things I don't like. I mean, it's not that bad at all as a live action, but it's incomparable to the OG material.

First of all, Luffy's wearing boots? What? Boots really ruin the image of a carefree dude Luffy is. They don't match well with the rest of his costume at all.

Then there's the Alvida scene. In the original, Koby is supposed to finally muster up his courage at the end of his arc and ready to die at any moment despite being scared to death. He's supposed to have been inspired by Luffy's resolve at that point. The live action has the same moment... at first, but then when Alvida gets pissed, he reverts back to being a coward again. It ruins the impact, man.

Another thing I don't like is that they cut out the scene where Koby says goodbye to Luffy and Zoro. In the original, the marines salute the Straw Hat, thanking them for saving their town from Morgan's oppression. It's one of the moving scenes at the beginning of the story that makes a lot of impact.

What makes me really mad, though, is Garp. They did Garp dirty. I'm not talking about the fact that Garp and Luffy meet in the East Blue when they're supposed to meet at Water 7; I'm talking about Garp's personality and portrayal. In the original, Garp is strict for sure, but he looks like a rough, badass, a bit eccentric grandpa who cares a lot about his grandson. In the live action, he looks like a grumpy old man with an anger issue. The scene where he laughs at Luffy makes him look mad instead of eccentric. Garp is supposed to be a chill dude, basically an older version of Luffy, but the live action has him look like an angry old man.

Last edited:

ChubbyLiv

I enjoyed it so much! I found many things that were better than the actual anime. ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I recommend watching some production videos with the cast. The actors are so sweet, and really put lots of effort into their acting.

OP1000

Then there's the Alvida scene. In the original, Koby is supposed to finally muster up his courage at the end of his arc and ready to die at any moment despite being scared to death. He's supposed to have been inspired by Luffy's resolve at that point. The live action has the same moment... at first, but then when Alvida gets pissed, he reverts back to being a coward again. It ruins the impact, man.

What makes me really mad, though, is Garp. They did Garp dirty. I'm not talking about the fact that Garp and Luffy meet in the East Blue when they're supposed to meet at Water 7; I'm talking about Garp's personality and portrayal. In the original, Garp is strict for sure, but he looks like a rough, badass, a bit eccentric grandpa who cares a lot about his grandson. In the live action, he looks like a grumpy old man with an anger issue. The scene where he laughs at Luffy makes him look mad instead of eccentric. Garp is supposed to be a chill dude, basically an older version of Luffy, but the live action has him look like an angry old man.
I agree with you 100% man!!!! It really feels like Koby did not grow that much as a character when talking to Alvida. The way Garp laughs in this adaptation really made me feel uncomfortable whenever those scenes were shown.
First of all, Luffy's wearing boots? What? Boots really ruin the image of a carefree dude Luffy is. They don't match well with the rest of his costume at all.
Wow, I will be honest with you, I did not notice that Luffy was wearing boots. But you are right, Luffy should be a sandals man.
I hate it. It's just become a good adaptation due to the shit adaptation we had before that lowered the level of "good" in an abysmal level.
I agree that it is not a top quality adaptation, but at least it can be a gateway for those who were hesitant to watching the anime/reading the manga.
I enjoyed it so much! I found many things that were better than the actual anime. ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I recommend watching some production videos with the cast. The actors are so sweet, and really put lots of effort into their acting.
I will admit that some of the moments in the live action were fun to watch.
The bar for manga/anime adaptations is pretty low.
Facts.

Last edited:

Vnator

All of the replies remind me that people here have really shit taste.
Haven't watched it yet
It's good! I recommend it, but obviously don't expect it to be a 1:1 of the anime. They take a ton of liberties to streamline the plot and expand and introduce certain arcs early.

IshiharaNiaoka

I haven't watched it, and don't plan too.
One the characters don't look similar. I didn't expect much from that part. but Nami? Come on! I have no problems with the actress, but I expect her to look Korean or Japanese with a thin waist and bodonkers.

Ussop they didn't even try with the nose. With an 18 million dollar budget is it that hard to just edit his damn nose?

Some scenes too I saw on TikTok they didn't bother to edit but some random dude did for free and it's just disappointing to see.

They did alot of the men dirty apart from Ussop and Zoro.

Buggy is freaking good looking, same for Shanks and Mohawk. Like 😭✋ they so fucking handsome. But the live action distroyed my image of them. No sexier looking actors?

And also for tall characters like Doflamingo they have to edit it right? Like cgi or animate realistic and not just use a normal height man right? Because Doflamingo is over 10ft tall.

And chopper!! Arghh, even picachubthe movie has better cgi.

I haven't seen a video of chopper but only and image and it destroyed the cuteness. In the anime he's called cute but that image makes him look like he's from a horror movie.