So, about neg reviews...

Lysander_Works

I feel like someone has asked and answered this in the past, but I'm having a hard time searching for forums in general.
I heard (or perhaps have vague memory of) that authors could at some point dispute or even remove critical reviews, if they didn't seem accurate or if it's from a troll.
I just want to know if such is really a feature or not. I don't think it is, but I still have not been on SH for too long.

J_Chemist

Your story sucks.
Do better.
Be a man.

Or don't and quit.
Like a coward.
All because one person decided to be a twat, or because they pointed out flaws.

Or report it and if the Mods find it to be a Troll, it'll go away.

Am I serious? 50/50.

Lysander_Works

Your story sucks.
Do better.
Be a man.

Or don't and quit.
Like a coward.
All because one person decided to be a twat, or because they pointed out flaws.

Or report it and if the Mods find it to be a Troll, it'll go away.

Am I serious? 50/50.

:cautious:

I hope to god you aren't serious. You never even looked at my story.
Plus I'm asking to know if it is technically possible; I might not bother even if it is. People sometimes do leave 1 star ratings just because their ego gets triggered somehow and they can't handle it. Which game to play is the question. I know the difference between whether someone's rant is actual feedback or just immaturity.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
You can report unhelpful or derogatory reviews but that doesn't mean it'll get removed. The mods could deem the review as objectively helpful but negative, keeping it up, or they may see it as a subjectively unhelpful negative review and remove it.

Filtering through reviews to find what you can learn from it for the future is the best thing you can do as an up-and-coming writer though some are just unhelpful.

Plus I'm asking to know if it is technically possible; I might not bother even if it is. People sometimes do leave 1 star ratings just because their ego gets triggered somehow and they can't handle it. Which game to play is the question. I know the difference between whether someone's rant is actual feedback or just immaturity.
he's not serious. That's just how he acts. Mainly to test and see how thick your skin is.

J_Chemist

It is possible. Like Paul said and I mentioned; if it's obviously a troll post, you can report it. The Powers that Be will take a looksie and decide.

But, as a writer, if it is left up then you have two options; be better and keep writing, or take the harsh criticism to heart and give up. Even troll posts have some flavor of truth in them, you just need to be tough enough to dig in and find it. Or they don't, and you need to be smart enough to know that too.

It's always hard but people will say what they like.

momma ain't raise no bitch. You'll live. Keep writing.

Or don't. That's up to you.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
meh... words cannot hurt me... THEY CANTTT... they funny thing is I'm too irrelevant to even bother giving a review lmao XD

Lysander_Works

You can report unhelpful or derogatory reviews but that doesn't mean it'll get removed. The mods could deem the review as objectively helpful but negative, keeping it up, or they may see it as a subjectively unhelpful negative review and remove it.

I see, so it is possible, not guaranteed, and only for absolute unhelpfuls would matter. Good to know. I guess if anything it's for the best to ignore then, or to respond and shake the bee's nest a little; see what happens.

he's not serious. That's just how he acts. Mainly to test and see how thick your skin is.
Ah, I see. Interesting test. I guess I will need to have a thicker skin for the trolls then. Sensible negative feedback I welcome. Nosensible drivvel that sounds like its from a 12 year old seems to affect me more than it should, probably just because I know how worthless it is yet still affects rating/score. I forgot that that score often doesn't mean anything sometimes. Also, I think I need a coffee.
It is possible. Like Paul said and I mentioned; if it's obviously a troll post, you can report it. The Powers that Be will take a looksie and decide.

But, as a writer, if it is left up then you have two options; be better and keep writing, or take the harsh criticism to heart and give up. Even troll posts have some flavor of truth in them, you just need to be tough enough to dig in and find it. Or they don't, and you need to be smart enough to know that too.

It's always hard but people will say what they like.

momma ain't raise no bitch. You'll live. Keep writing.

Or don't. That's up to you.
Thanks. I decided to reply head on, better or worse. They simply don't like the plot cause it's not their flavor, but couldn't point out anything wrong with the story or chapter. Don't think that counts as a troll post in that one example, but it's still a dumb reason to rate something lower. Oh well. Like I said, I can't care about that score cause it clearly doesn't mean much.

J_Chemist

Thanks. I decided to reply head on, better or worse. They simply don't like the plot cause it's not their flavor, but couldn't point out anything wrong with the story or chapter. Don't think that counts as a troll post in that one example, but it's still a dumb reason to rate something lower. Oh well. Like I said, I can't care about that score cause it clearly doesn't mean much.
It is not a troll post if that is the case, it's just a complaint that they didn't like your story.

Fuck em. Carry on.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I've only ever reported a single review (on royalroad) and given how negative an attitude people have about RR, I didn't expect anything. In 2 days it was taken down. The issue I took with the review was that the person's review basically described the tags that my story has (isekai, slice of life, slow progression) and said because of those factors 0.5 stars.

I've got pretty thick skin, and take even very negative reviews to heart, and update my internal compass based on some of the more helpful ones. That said, sometimes the person is legit braindead, and the only effect their review has is making your overall rating look bad for incorrect reasons. Then you can leave it up to others to determine it's actual value. I went into reporting that review with the mindset that I'd probably have to deal with it staying up.

If you do end up reporting a review, then I'd advise taking the mindset that it'll probably stay up and you'll have to deal with it. It's a more positive mindset, despite how negative it sounds. Otherwise you can accidentally feed into a bad mindset that you are above criticism. Maybe that's just my pretender syndrom when it comes to writing talking though.

Lysander_Works

The issue I took with the review was that the person's review basically described the tags that my story has (isekai, slice of life, slow progression) and said because of those factors 0.5 stars.

Wow. See, that's why the rating really doesn't mean much. Glad I already learned that lesson; I could still see why something like that would piss anyone off who didn't understand how this could happen yet. It's good that you got it taken down. A win is a win, for however long it lasts.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [Tsuru]
meh... words cannot hurt me... THEY CANTTT... they funny thing is I'm too irrelevant to even bother giving a review lmao XD
Im waitting on my story manwx, where's my gash darn story 😤

BigBadBoi

People barely give negative reviews anyway, or give reviews at all. Literally the only times I bothered is when it was so garbage I had to drop a negative review. Most of the time I just rate it 1 star and drop it or just drop it silently. I don't think most people bother adding the stories in their reading list in the first place they just suddenly stop reading it.

Sylver

They're being half serious and half funny, but I get the frustration. It comes off as rude, pessimistic, and unnecessary sometimes, especially if you're just looking for straight answers :LOL:

It's possible to remove negative reviews or comments if the argument that they are troll posts can be made and supported. But it is difficult and a case-by-case basis. If someone is leaving consistent negative comments about your work and they seem serious, maybe a suggestion would be to ask them why they follow the story if it doesn't align with their interests? Or an alternative would be to ask how they would improve the story to their liking? Just some food for thought.

Why do you ask, is someone leaving troll comments on your story?

Sylver

I've only ever reported a single review (on royalroad) and given how negative an attitude people have about RR, I didn't expect anything. In 2 days it was taken down. The issue I took with the review was that the person's review basically described the tags that my story has (isekai, slice of life, slow progression) and said because of those factors 0.5 stars.

I've got pretty thick skin, and take even very negative reviews to heart, and update my internal compass based on some of the more helpful ones. That said, sometimes the person is legit braindead, and the only effect their review has is making your overall rating look bad for incorrect reasons. Then you can leave it up to others to determine it's actual value. I went into reporting that review with the mindset that I'd probably have to deal with it staying up.

If you do end up reporting a review, then I'd advise taking the mindset that it'll probably stay up and you'll have to deal with it. It's a more positive mindset, despite how negative it sounds. Otherwise you can accidentally feed into a bad mindset that you are above criticism. Maybe that's just my pretender syndrom when it comes to writing talking though.
how does this post not have more likes? I remember you made a post before about this troll leaving back comments and reviews on your story before. Glad to hear that negative review was taken down! Did the user still post bad comments on your chapters or did they stop?

SsemouyOnan

Imagine you can fly
You appear to have only one written review on all of your stories, and it is a very positive one. Was it reported and deleted or are you referring to the single 1-star overlap got?

Okay, so I checked and it's just a salty comment from a guy named GUPPYtom. You can delete it since you're the author. Nothing you can do about the 1-star though, it just do be like that sometimes.

Just saying though. His comment was from October of last year, you should really just let it go at that point. Man doesn't even seem coherent enough to read your reply

Obsoleteness

You appear to have only one written review on all of your stories, and it is a very positive one. Was it reported and deleted or are you referring to the single 1-star overlap got?

Okay, so I checked and it's just a salty comment from a guy named GUPPYtom. You can delete it since you're the author. Nothing you can do about the 1-star though, it just do be like that sometimes.

Just saying though. His comment was from October of last year, you should really just let it go at that point. Man doesn't even seem coherent enough to read your reply
Since you did the groundwork I found the comments and the account in question joined on Oct 1, made 3 posts on that chapter and rated 1 star on Oct 2. Last active Oct 3, 2023 12:37 AM. Some people really go the extra mile :blob_hmm:

Lysander_Works

No, I got two, unless I missed something. Having a smaller amount affects score due to averaging. Got one 5 star plus one 1 or 2 star from... well, I wasn't going to name them but you have already.

Yes, I know. I'd rather leave it up for now. For the moment it will be a high honor to drag out the nonsense into the light.
Also if I can delete comments directly I would like to know how, for later, so that I know what to do if anything more unbelievable happens.
Since you did the groundwork I found the comments and the account in question joined on Oct 1, made 3 posts on that chapter and rated 1 star on Oct 2. Last active Oct 3, 2023 12:37 AM. Some people really go the extra mile :blob_hmm:
It's one of many ways you know people like that can't be taken seriously.