Favorite overused tropes

stryke105

They are overused for a reason! What are your favorite overused tropes and if possible why? Personally I like systems if its not just the protag that gets it because it lets us keep track of what exactly each character can do and some of my favorite novels make good use of the idea of the origin of the system and figuring out its true purpose and stuff. Additionally, I like academies because it gives a good place for the mc to interact with a bunch of people and its easy to put info dumps without breaking the immersion.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
what are we? some kind of Scribble Hub?

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
Face slapping
So much this. I love face slapping.

And karmic retribution in general. Nothing like a good story of people having their comeuppance just because they do something stupid (and against the protagonist) because the world doesn't work the way they want.

Reincarnation with memories is fun too. Same with Transmigration.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Fuck yeah, ive been reading too many fucking novels where harems are forcibly added and it ruins shit, toika's novels have made me have an irrational hatred for harem novels, though im still going to read them because otherwise they are acceptable
Honestly, I flirt with this, but it's more because it's a medieval society where the women want to get married quickly. The MC is finally being recognized as insanely strong and an amazing catch. His only downside is he's short. After the. Crown prince went and blew himself up, Ryan is the hottest bachelor in the kingdom.

He's focused on "defeat the demon lord", but now has every Nobel house in the country telling their daughters, bag that boy. So, it's not an actual harem, because he pushes everyone away, but he does have the harem of female friends. He's not a blushing virgin who gets flustered at some girl showing off her ankles, but a grizzled old divorcee in a teenagers body. Thus he has no problem saying, "bitch, please". I find it funny to subvert thus one.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
it used to be tournaments
Yeah. Something has killed the tournament arc.

I had my MC set up for a tournament arc, but at the last second had them find out the villainess' minion had someone "lose" the MC application. So the MC got to sell snowcones during the tournament. I thought that was a fun way to avoid a pointless event.

I understand the tournament arc is about the MC having a glow-up, but since nobody can die, usually, you know the outcome. Now the pressure is to make HOW he wins the story, not IF he wins.

Feels like it's been done to death.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
honestly, it used to be tournaments, mostly because I enjoy watching different characters taht normally wouldn't fight duke it out. but anymore, It's just boring.

nowadays, it's Isekai. exploring a new world with the eyes of someone that isn't in it? It's a dream of mine. I'd love to explore new planets, and the whole idea of a new fantasy world is golden.

conversely, my most hated trope is the whole "accidental pervert gets beat up". like a guy ACCIDENTALLY sees a girl naked (or worse, through her own damned fault), and HE'S the one that gets in trouble and beat up. The anime Beast Tamer subverted this quite well, in my opinion. The female characters were having their obligatory "hot springs/pond swimming" moment, while male MC was sleeping nearby. He's awoken by a scream for help and runs in to help, when he realizes it was just a playful joke. He bows, begging forgiveness when the girls, who looks angry, change their minds and just "Nah, you said it was an accident. alls forgiven." basically.