Top 5 Video Game Antagonists

DannyTheDaikon

I came here to laugh at you
1. Raphael - Baldur's Gate 3 (I count him as the proper final boss of BG3 because the brain was disappointing af)

Lives, all mortal lives, expire
Souls go to their dooms, in flame, forever more

2. Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - Dark Souls

Plin, Piln, Plon...

3. Slave Knight Gael - Dark Souls 3: Ringed City

Hand it over, that thing, your Dark Soul

4. Gaunter O'Dimm - Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone

The entire DLC was amazing and Master Mirror is still one of my favorite parts in it.

5. Friede - Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel

One of the most memorable fights in soulsborne series. Ever.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

1. Raphael - Baldur's Gate 3 (I count him as the proper final boss of BG3 because the brain was disappointing af)

Lives, all mortal lives, expire
Souls go to their dooms, in flame, forever more

2. Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - Dark Souls

Plin, Piln, Plon...

3. Slave Knight Gael - Dark Souls 3: Ringed City

Hand it over, that thing, your Dark Soul

5. Friede - Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel

One of the most memorable fights in soulsborne series. Ever.
No 4th place?

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
1. Kefka, Final Fantasy 6/3
A villain who really had no end goal other than gaining power. No interest in ruling, he just wanted to be a dick. But I suppose being a genetically engineered Clown who was experimented on all his life would do that to a person.

2. Harle, Chrono Cross
An antagonist who really isn't an antagonist. She spends half the game hindering you, another third of it helping you and then the final little bit where things go off the rail (seriously, Chrono Cross has one of the most bonkers plots if you try to match it up with its predecessor Chrono Trigger). I remember being genuinely shocked at her ending as a kid.

3. Sovereign, Mass Effect 1
While the second game's ending was kinda confusing (why a giant cyborg?) and the third was lacklustre (surviving waves of enemies only to repeat the morality question from the end of the first), the initial game's Sovereign was pretty awesome for its time. Sovereign was basically a sentient space station that was trying to bring more of its kind into the galaxy and wipe out all biological life that had reached a certain stage in their technology. Just the threat of more stations that a single person (or species) couldn't take on or understand was pretty interesting for its time.

4. Fontaine, Bioshock
He's just really villainous. The fact that you're led around the game by "Atlas", only to discover you've basically been doing Fontaine's dirty work was just a nice twist.

5. The People, Frostpunk
Okay, not a traditional antagonist but it's one of the main "problems" you deal with in the game. Trying to keep everyone alive in the cold while they're all crying about sawdust in the food or child labour....

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
1- Emet Selch. Final fantasy 14 shadowbringers.
2- Handsome Jack. Borderlands 2
3- Glados. Portal 1 and 2
4- Arthas Menethil/ Lich King. Warcraft 3, Wolrd of Warcraft wrath of the Lich King
5- Akuma. Street Fighter

I don’t play many story driven games but that’s my list.

2wordsperminute

This isn't in any particular order btw.

1. Jetstream Sam, metal gear rising revengance
Very simple but fun fight, really puts your reaction skills to the test.

2. Sisters of Battle, hollow knight
Basically takes the best fight of the base game and throws in another one. good for the same reasons as Jetstream Sam. Only downside is that it falls off once you kill two of them.

3. Cocolia Mother of Deception, honkai star rail
Some people may cringe that I have a gacha game boss on this list, but belobog was a genuinely amazing storyline and this fight was a great climax. Not to mention the boss music is some of the best.

4. Owl, sekiro
Some people may think this is a bad pick and that it should be Isshin, but I like Owl because I like "you, but better" type bosses.

5. N, pokemon black and white
I've always been a pokemon guy, and even though this was not my first champion fight in pokemon, this was and still is the best one I've seen. Anyone here who knows about pokemon probably already knows that most people agree black and white have the best story, so I'll just say that it was really cool to catch the box legendary and then immediately use it to fight the other box legendary.

Honorable mention: Artorias from dark souls 1, for being the only good boss in the game imo. I know a lot of people love ds1 but I can't stand it.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
1 Zero Two
It's my favorite fictional character, they can be seen as a synonym in for depression, their motivation of reducing everything to zero, it's a simple character but I absolutely adore it.
2 Delirium (Isaac)
It's my favourite boss fight and the best unfair boss fight in my opinion.
3 Senator Armstrong
Great villain, he is just one of the best one in many ways.
4 Religion (Isaac)
It's more a subtle background concept that takes a villainous and good form.
5 The King (Dead Cells)
It's a interesting villain.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
A villain who really had no end goal other than gaining power. No interest in ruling, he just wanted to be a dick. But I suppose being a genetically engineered Clown who was experimented on all his life would do that to a person.
I always felt like he wanted his freedom but had a hard time expressing it.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
1 Liquid Snake
2 The Patriots
3 Solidus Snake
2. Heihachi Mishima.
3. Sovereign, Mass Effect 1
5. N, pokemon black and white
5. The People, Frostpunk

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
I always felt like he wanted his freedom but had a hard time expressing it.

That is possible. I mean, he did get freedom from everything by becoming a god. No responsibilities, just chilling half-naked in the sky.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
That is possible. I mean, he did get freedom from everything by becoming a god. No responsibilities, just chilling half-naked in the sky.
And then he wanted revenge lol.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Kefka FF6: Sephiroth tried to destroy the world, but Kefka succeeded. Add his backstory and how things play out really make sense.

+1 for Glados as well.

I want to say andrew ryan for bioshock but I'm not sure he's actually the main villain.

Afred Mad Father: Just because this game is so well done.