Which pov is better first person pov or Third person Pov

doravg

110/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
First person is more fun to write. But you better write it in past tense, or you will have trouble.

Suczka

First person is more fun to write. But you better write it in past tense, or you will have trouble.
Why?
(panicly checks which tense I had used)

in regards to smut, is being jerked into the female POV. I just don't get it. Do other guys actually find that engaging? Do women like smut from the POV of dudes?
Believe or not smut from first person of a women might be intended for women. (or for dudes that enjoy gender bender stuff)
Contrary to popular belief there are (some) women in the interwebs.

Based on my personal observation so far I would even risk the statement that there might be more women on this forum than man.

H0LL0W

I prefer 3rd person but mostly for comedic effect.

doravg

Why?
(panicly checks which tense I had used)

Believe or not smut from first person of a women might be intended for women. (or for dudes that enjoy gender bender stuff)

Based on my personal observation so far I would even risk the statement that there might be more women on this forum than man.
I wrote a couple of novels in 1rst POV present tense and got close to no readers. Then @Zinless told me that it was wrong. 6 books, 80k words each, simply shelved. :blob_teary:

doravg

have you tried rewriting them?

Why "I go and open the door" is wrong while "I went and opened the door" is ok?
Are you kidding? Ain't no one have time for rewrites. I know the ending, I liked the books. What is done is done.

Suczka

I don't rewrite, and you can't sell me on rewriting.
You could rewrite the same story for both tenses of first person and for 3rd person.
Than post all three versions and see which form brings most success to your plot and characters.
You could even rewrite your story in second person!

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Why "I go and open the door" is wrong while "I went and opened the door" is ok?
Doesn't that sound weird? I mean, when you tell someone that you open the door, do you use "go" or "went"?

Hence why people rarely read present-tense stories. Novels are like storytelling people, and readers are like audiences. So it's like a story time in the camp or in the class.
You could rewrite the same story for both tenses of first person and for 3rd person.
Than post all three versions and see which form brings most success to your plot and characters.
You could even rewrite your story in second person!
My gurl, his stories are all over 50K words. Don't you think he has something more important than to rewrite that many words in a story?

crbrearley

I can only write in first person so the choice is made for me. It helps that I prefer reading first person.

As to why I love it, well, I like the idea that first person narrators lie and deceive and of course are sometimes wrong. So for the reader it adds an element of "can I trust this little shit?" to the story. In a perfect world, I'll tell stories from multiple sides more often so the readers would get to pick their own reality from what they are seeing. In practice,this would mean far too much repetition. I'm not sure I've ever shown the same scene from another character's perspective; I hate when that's done to me as a reader so I don't want to do it as writer. But I like it when one of my characters implies the other is basically lying or exaggerating.

Suczka

Doesn't that sound weird? I mean, when you tell someone that you open the door, do you use "go" or "went"?
"Dear reader I'm being chased by wolves through this beautiful autumn forest."
"Dear reader I was chased by wolves through this beautiful autumn forest."

Both sound fine to me.
First is active narration of what is at the moment happening to me.
Second is a story that I tell later.

The biggest difference I see is that if writing in past tense While telling the story I already know how it ended and what was happening in the meantime somewhere else. And by using past tense we know that MC did not die.
While in present tense I have no idea how it will end. What is around the corner and if I'll survive being chased by those wolves.
There is more suspense because event are taking place right now.
"I have no idea where are my friends. Will they save me? Do they know that I'm in the danger?"
"Yea... I was probably scared of those wolves, but my friends were waiting just where I was running ready to shoot the wolves."

SPS4

I get that. I mean, female POV pr0n is a thing, so I understand the appeal. What I don't get is the male MC being the usual and then swapping to female POV during the horizontal tango. It almost seems more prevalent than sticking with the MC, which seems to indicate it's a popular thing with guys. Nothing against it, I just don't get it and would like explanations on why other people like it.

That also makes me wonder if women like the opposite, which would be female MC then switching to male character when they do the nasty.

Suczka

What I don't get is the male MC being the usual and then swapping to female POV during the horizontal tango.
Swapping like MC gender bends to woman just before thing happen.
Or author is swapping narrative perspective from MC to his female partner before the act?

If latter, than that sounds weird.

"I'm a manly man.
I complete heroic quests during my manly adventures.
On my last manly adventure I saved that one smoking hod damsel in distress.
She is very grateful so we gonna have some smexy time.
I approach her with my manly body on full display and ...
... he kissed me strongly mushing his manly lips in to mine.
I could feel his, unshaven for few days, hair prick soft skin of my face ... "

That is really strange...

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
"Dear reader I'm being chased by wolves through this beautiful autumn forest."
"Dear reader I was chased by wolves through this beautiful autumn forest."

Both sound fine to me.
First is active narration of what is at the moment happening to me.
Second is a story that I tell later.

The biggest difference I see is that if writing in past tense While telling the story I already know how it ended and what was happening in the meantime somewhere else. And by using past tense we know that MC did not die.
While in present tense I have no idea how it will end. What is around the corner and if I'll survive being chased by those wolves.
There is more suspense because event are taking place right now.
"I have no idea where are my friends. Will they save me? Do they know that I'm in the danger?"
"Yea... I was probably scared of those wolves, but my friends were waiting just where I was running ready to shoot the wolves."
Then, have you read any good novel books? If so, can you show me a good present-tense novel book?

My point is that there are other words to use, in this case, "go".

Like, "I go to the door and greet him." and "I walk up to the door and greet him." Which one of these is better?

It's the word choice that I'm pointing out.

Also, some authors decided to mix the past tense and the present tense in their work. Try asking anyone old in the forum here like @SailusGebel .

SailusGebel

Then, have you read any good novel books? If so, can you show me a good present-tense novel book?

Like, "I go to the door and greet him." and "I walk up to the door and greet him." Which one of these is better?

Also, some authors decided to mix the past tense and the present tense in their work. Try asking anyone old in the forum here like @SailusGebel .
Huh, what?

SailusGebel

I don't think I understood everything properly, but since I was summoned, I have to say something. Majority of novels that I've read use past tense. There were a couple that used present tense, and maybe there was a good one? I don't remember, it was long ago. Present tense does look weird to me.

Still don't get middle point, sorry.

I mix tenses? If so, I made mistake, since I use past tense. Dialogue lines can use various tenses, but everything outside of dialogue lines should stick to one tense, I mean either past or present. There are exceptions to this, however, I'm not willing to elaborate, since my head does not work properly at the moment.