Why does is suck so much to write a battle scene?.

AYM

‼️ dinner demons and upcoming dessert ‼️
Rewrite it until you think it is enough.

The most important part is you had fun writing the scene, and if you aren't take a few steps back to think.

ACertainPassingUser

When did the last time you see real life fist-fight ?

Visit a local dojo or some local martial art training group, and focus on the spars for better inspiration.

Shonen battle is pretty much similar to short spar in the first episodes.

They would only become prolonged by dozen of episodes after multiple season when they tried to milk their Viewer’s attention, but the first dozen episodes were always the best short fights.

Enkiari

Does it?
I- I don't think I can relate.
Action and 'action' scenes have always felt easy to me.
It's the descriptions that I find hard to deal with.

MasFaqih

Normal White Cat | Fluffy | Can bite really hard
Rewrite it until you think it is enough.

The most important part is you had fun writing the scene, and if you aren't take a few steps back to think.
Can I consult you again?.
When did the last time you see real life fist-fight ?

Visit a local dojo or some local martial art training group, and focus on the spars for better inspiration.

Shonen battle is pretty much similar to short spar in the first episodes.

They would only become prolonged by dozen of episodes after multiple season when they tried to milk their Viewer’s attention, but the first dozen episodes were always the best short fights.
That's was why it suck,I write a cultivation novel,all I know was martial art fight.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
I also struggle with action sequences.
The advice I can give you is to follow this simple concept: Action and then Reaction.
Here's a guide that explains it in detail.

ACertainPassingUser

That's was why it suck,I write a cultivation novel,all I know was martial art fight.
Think of Cultivation as Elementary school degree, Middle School degree, High school degree and Univrsity degree.

There's Hundreds of Thousand of school, offering unlimited future and potential for your advancement in society.

You can think of school as sects.

There's six stage of Elementary school degree, from year 1 to year 6.

There's three stage of Middle Scholl, from year 7 to year 9.

And finally, the High School, year 10 to year 12.

After that, is the realm of Big shot universities, ehich offer bachelor degrees.

MasFaqih

Think of Cultivation as Elementary school degree, Middle School degree, High school degree and Univrsity degree.

There's Hundreds of Thousand of school, offering unlimited future and potential for your advancement in society.

You can think of school as sects.

There's six stage of Elementary school degree, from year 1 to year 6.

There's three stage of Middle Scholl, from year 7 to year 9.

And finally, the High School, year 10 to year 12.

After that, is the realm of Big shot universities, ehich offer bachelor degrees.
The thing is i already familiar with martial art move than a bunch of gibberish on cultivation move.

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
Tell me why.
🎶Ain't nothing but a heartache...🎶

Seriously, it takes practice and countless 'trial and errors', though. Before I can't even picture a proper fight scene. Nowadays, it's not perfect, but I can write a battle just fine.

Last edited:

ACertainPassingUser

The thing is i already familiar with martial art move than a bunch of gibberish on cultivation move.
Uhh, watch "Avatar: The Legend of Aang" and copy their moves ?

Xianxia fight were pretty similar.

despite their fantasy element cultivations, theyre rather close-combat centric due to influence of martial art, in comparison to european magic fantasy where they usually use ranged magic whenever they can.

J_Chemist

Tell me why.
AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT A MISTAKE~ 🎶

If you're not good at mental gymnastics, fight scenes may be difficult for you. If you don't have any fighting experience, it may also be difficult. If you don't have a verbose vocabulary with plenty of descriptors at your disposal, it may be difficult for you.

There're plenty of reasons. Which ones pertain to you that give you trouble, I have no idea.

Skill issue.

MasFaqih

The advice I can give you is to follow this simple concept: Action and then Reaction.
Thank you, this is the most useful advice j can find.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I blame the fact that battle scenes need to be written immersively to avoid it being a list of actions. It is a difficult skill to learn.

Premier

The biggest issue I see people have is they think every action has to be described with equal length. But the real trick to extend out the stuff that matters and gloss the stuff that doesn't. A punch that cracks their armour should get more attention that a flurry of blows that doesn't.

MasFaqih

Because of this guy,Iam able to write battle scene more beautifully.