Recommendations Non-Contemporary Girl's Love

NixolasZinn

I'm looking for Non-Contemporary Girl's Love novels. What do I mean by that if it ain't already obvious? I mean I'm looking for Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Historical, VRMMO, Cultivation, Isekai, basically anything that ain't in modern times. I prefer there not to be genderbending nor any harems, but I can still read it even if it has those. I don't really care what you suggest, heck I'll even read fanfictions if it's of semi-decent quality. Yuri content that ain't modern is hard for me to come by for whatever reason, so any and all recommendations are welcome.

Things I've already seen:
Druidification
Isekai’d Shoggoth
Reincarnation Of A Humble God
Leah, Reincarnated As a Dungeon Core!
Necromancy
Reliving the Past ~ Mage of the Abyss
Medusa and the Blind Woman

That one shameless quote where I'm paying respect to a helpful individual that saved me from having to type out light novels and manga I've already read:
My Next Life as a Villainess all routes lead to Doom (manga/ln)
When I Reincarnated as the Villainess, I Raised Yuri Flags with the Heroine!? (ln)
I Was Reincarnated As The Villainess Of An Otome Game, But As I Broke The Death Flags With All My Might, The Heroine Opened My Route (ln)
Blooming in a Different World is a Lily Flower (ln)
I Favor the Villainess (ln/manga)
Transmigrated Into a Smashing Asura Girl (ln)
Green Tea Villainess Fails (ln)
Villainess With a Cat Changing System (ln)

Things I'll be reading very soon:
Hands Held in the Snow
Journey to Amoraketh
Taboo Journal
Vanquishing Evil for Love
To Play with Magic

Things I'm going to check out eventually:
Giant Robot Reincarnation?!
Love Crafted
I didn’t ask to be the Demon Queen
Mage in Heroes Guild
Nighthunter
In the Shadow of Heaven
A Hero Past the 25th
Astralfice
I'm Going To Die (In This Game Like Dimension)
Path of the Whisper Woman
Blight and Bloom
Flow
Redwood Crossing
Aria of the Fallen: Adventure in a Foreign System
Lily Bouquet - A Girl's Love Anthology
Runtime Error
The Solstice War
Cultivating Change
Trouble with Horns
Erislethe Valley of the Dragon Queen
A garden of violets
The Glory of Bowsette

Things I doubt I'll read, but will keep them here as a just in case:
Unjust Depths
Of Frost and Steel
A Girl and Her Goat
Late Night At Lund's
Transpire
Cuddle & Monster
Ranma 2 in 1
Witch of Chains
Ryn of Avonside
Demon Pact
Swords of Selene
The Owl of Dunvolt

That one list recommended one-shots, that I can't be bothered categorizing so I just quote the user who would probably write a far better review than I ever could:
There's the Yuri Garden's first anthology, "9 Nights in the Garden of Lilies: A Yuri Garden Anthology". Some of them are in contemporary-fantasy worlds, and one or two in contemporary.
Those are:
"Met Her Match" - Genuinely contemporary, but it's very unique and refreshing.
"the week I loved you" -
Time-loop/supernatural in disguise.
"Silent Mafia boss x Princess turned into Consigliere" - It's technically contemporary but it's gang-world, so not really.
"A True (And Weird) Love Story (A Girls Love Harem Short Story by Bokuboy)" - Genuinely contemporary.
"The Heart is a Sea" - It's set in the modern world, but it's about a girl falling in love with a mermaid.
(All the rest are pure fantasy.)

Someone mentioned the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2020), so I'll also list the contemporary or borderline cases among those.
"Follow Me Till Death" - Contemporary, but not very normal.
"Daisy" - Contemporary, I think. Could be recently historical.
"Just Love Me" - Technically contemporary, but really surrealist and a bit fantasy. It's about a woman who loves a woman with a disease that makes her disappear from existence over time.
"Not Too Late" - Contemporary.
"My Cosplay Was a Bit too Good! - Contemporary.
"If it seems too good to be true, it is not true!" - Contemporary, but not very normal.

I can also list the pieces from the previous competitions that you might be interested in.

From 2018:
"The Magician & Her Princess" - Fantasy
"A Spring for Ilys" - Fantasy and isekai
"A Letter to a Future Dream" - Highly surrealist

From 2019:
"Lost at Sea" - Modern world, but a fantasy with a mysterious mermaid at its centre.
"Rather Than Work for a Black Company" - The characters come from a contemporary world, but this is a fantasy about serving in the underworld.
"I Wanna Get Married!" - Fantasy
"I was summoned as a saint, but why is the kingdom only throwing men at me" - Isekai into fantasy
"Late Night Summon" - Summoning a succubus into an otherwise modern world
"Unexpected Development" - Fantasy
"The Alchemist's Familiar" - Fantasy
"The Prayer" - Historical
"For My Beloved, I will" - Fake contemporary, actually fantasy
"The Perfect Day" - Transmigration
"Spring Dream" - Cultivation world, but focusing on normal people

Edit: Eventually I'll transport my list of already read yuri light novels and Manga, maybe other site's webnovels, but currently I'm too lazy to do such a thing. Also thanks for the recommendations, I'm always open for suggestions, even if this post becomes over a year old.

Last edited:

EchoingRuby

Giant Robot Reincarnation?! (Ongoing)

Sci-fi isekai. Girl gets reincarnated as an AI core in a mecha body. Be aware that the GL tends to be interspersed with combat scenes. Don't read if you're afraid of insects.

Two pairings:
  • Reincarnated mecha girl and her pilot
  • Mecha carrier spaceship AI and her captain
Hands Held in the Snow (Ongoing)

Medieval magical world. Two girls, a commoner and a noble, finding love in a recently-conquered city.

Love Crafted (Ongoing)

Medieval magical world. A girl (Abigail) summons an eldritch abomination in the shape of a little girl (Dreamer). Abigail's friend is in love with her, and Dreamer might be too but it's kind of unclear. Be aware the GL is both not the focus of the story and starts pretty late.

-----------------------------

If the reason you don't prefer genderbending is because most GB stories do an awful job at actually representing what it's like to be transgender, you might enjoy the following:

I didn’t ask to be the Demon Queen (Complete)

Medieval magical world isekai. A trans girl gets isekai'd into the body of a demon queen, finds love, and learns about who she truly is. Contains actually tasteful polyamory.

Journey to Amoraketh (Ongoing)

Medieval world, hidden magic. The "prince" of a kingdom is a trans girl. She and her female guard fall in love.

NixolasZinn

Will a world that starts from stone-age and eventually reach modern age works well with you.
Sure, it can even have a protagonist with modern knowledge.... and frankly, if there's some translated novel you know of, go ahead and suggest it.

NixolasZinn

Giant Robot Reincarnation?! (Ongoing)

Sci-fi isekai. Girl gets reincarnated as an AI core in a mecha body. Be aware that the GL tends to be interspersed with combat scenes. Don't read if you're afraid of insects.

Two pairings:
  • Reincarnated mecha girl and her pilot
  • Mecha carrier spaceship AI and her captain
Hands Held in the Snow (Ongoing)

Medieval magical world. Two girls, a commoner and a noble, finding love in a recently-conquered city.

Love Crafted (Ongoing)

Medieval magical world. A girl (Abigail) summons an eldritch abomination in the shape of a little girl (Dreamer). Abigail's friend is in love with her, and Dreamer might be too but it's kind of unclear. Be aware the GL is both not the focus of the story and starts pretty late.

-----------------------------

If the reason you don't prefer genderbending is because most GB stories do an awful job at actually representing what it's like to be transgender, you might enjoy the following:

I didn’t ask to be the Demon Queen (Complete)

Medieval magical world isekai. A trans girl gets isekai'd into the body of a demon queen, finds love, and learns about who she truly is. Contains actually tasteful polyamory.

Journey to Amoraketh (Ongoing)

Medieval world, hidden magic. The "prince" of a kingdom is a trans girl. She and her female guard fall in love.

SuperLuminal (Ongoing)

A trans girl gets superpowers and falls in love with two girls (I haven't yet read far enough to see if that's handled well).
WARNING: Child abuse.

I give them a look, cheers mate. Should last me a while if I enjoy what I read

NixolasZinn

Taboo Journal would be my favorite. It is technically Gender Bend, but the MC is so feminine you won't think about it, even more than the love interest.
I'll check it out, would have preferred a link, but I'll look it up.

sereminar

Hope your ready for a library worth lol ;)
(if i wrote "ln" by it that means it's a light novel and you'll have to look it up yourself)

COMPLETED
Mage in Heroes Guild
Nighthunter
In the Shadow of Heaven (maybe lesbians, but I haven't really read it?)
The Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2020) (many of the short stories aren't set in modern times)
When I Reincarnated as the Villainess, I Raised Yuri Flags with the Heroine!? (ln)
I Was Reincarnated As The Villainess Of An Otome Game, But As I Broke The Death Flags With All My Might, The Heroine Opened My Route (ln)

Ongoing:
A Hero Past the 25th
Astralfice
I'm Going To Die (In This Game Like Dimension) (infuriating will-they/wont-they)
Path of the Whisper Woman (not much romance, but the mc is def a lesbian)
Medusa and the Blind Woman (slow burn but so so so so good)
Unjust Depths
To Play with Magic
Blight and Bloom

Hiatus/dropped:
Of Frost and Steel
Flow
Redwood Crossing
A Girl and Her Goat
Lily Bouquet - A Girl's Love Anthology (only one or two non-contemporary short stories)
Late Night At Lund's
Runtime Error
The Solstice War

trans main characters
Cultivating Change
Transpire
Cuddle & Monster
Ranma 2 in 1
Trouble with Horns
Witch of Chains
Ryn of Avonside
Azura (author, excellent smut)
Demon Pact
Swords of Selene
The Owl of Dunvolt

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
People already recommended the ones I would have recommended, but I'm surprised that you'd say that most of the yuri novels you see are contemporary, since almost all of them I have read are not.

NixolasZinn

Hope your ready for a library worth lol ;)
(if i wrote "ln" by it that means it's a light novel and you'll have to look it up yourself)

COMPLETED
Mage in Heroes Guild
Nighthunter
In the Shadow of Heaven (maybe lesbians, but I haven't really read it?)
The Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2020) (many of the short stories aren't set in modern times)

Ongoing:
A Hero Past the 25th
Astralfice
I'm Going To Die (In This Game Like Dimension) (infuriating will-they/wont-they)
Path of the Whisper Woman (not much romance, but the mc is def a lesbian)
Medusa and the Blind Woman (slow burn but so so so so good)
Unjust Depths
To Play with Magic
Blight and Bloom

Hiatus/dropped:
Of Frost and Steel
Flow
Redwood Crossing
A Girl and Her Goat
Lily Bouquet - A Girl's Love Anthology (only one or two non-contemporary short stories)
Late Night At Lund's
Runtime Error
The Solstice War

trans main characters
Cultivating Change
Transpire
Cuddle & Monster
Ranma 2 in 1
Trouble with Horns
Witch of Chains
Ryn of Avonside
Azura (author, excellent smut)
Demon Pact
Swords of Selene
The Owl of Dunvolt
I recognize a few of the titles, but many more I have yet to see. I thank you for your suggestions

People already recommended the ones I would have recommended, but I'm surprised that you'd say that most of the yuri novels you see are contemporary, since almost all of them I have read are not.
Maybe I was not looking well enough? I know not, but from what I looked I saw more contemporary than not, perhaps I was filtering wrong in my searches? Regardless, our visions are different, and whilst hindsight is 20/20, my sight is not.... *Insert laugh* (Sadly no one laughs at that)

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
To add to what people have already suggested, there's:

"A garden of violets" - A collection of historical GL oneshots.

"Erislethe: Valley of the Dragon Queen" - A fantasy GL set in a really unique world and centred on a badass dragon woman. Went on hiatus after five chapters, but I still recommend reading what little there is of it.

"The Glory of Bowsette" - This one is fanfiction and GB, but it's so damn good. The GB is for a trans woman, so you don't have to worry about fake yuri. It also has a very sweet and realistic romance between Bowsette and Peach.

There's the Yuri Garden's first anthology, "9 Nights in the Garden of Lilies: A Yuri Garden Anthology". Some of them are in contemporary-fantasy worlds, and one or two in contemporary.
Those are:
"the week I loved you" -
"Silent Mafia boss x Princess turned into Consigliere" - It's technically contemporary but it's gang-world, so not really.
"A True (And Weird) Love Story (A Girls Love Harem Short Story by Bokuboy)" - Genuinely contemporary.
"The Heart is a Sea" - It's set in the modern world, but it's about a girl falling in love with a mermaid.

Someone mentioned the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2020), so I'll also list the contemporary or borderline cases among those.
"Just Love Me" - Technically contemporary, but really surrealist and a bit fantasy. It's about a woman who loves a woman with a disease that makes her disappear from existence over time.
"If it seems too good to be true, it is not true!" - Contemporary, but not very normal.

I can also list the pieces from the previous competitions that you might be interested in.

From 2018:

From 2019:
"Lost at Sea" - Modern world, but a fantasy with a mysterious mermaid at its centre.
"Rather Than Work for a Black Company" - The characters come from a contemporary world, but this is a fantasy about serving in the underworld.
"I was summoned as a saint, but why is the kingdom only throwing men at me" - Isekai into fantasy

NixolasZinn

To add to what people have already suggested, there's:

"A garden of violets" - A collection of historical GL oneshots.

"Erislethe: Valley of the Dragon Queen" - A fantasy GL set in a really unique world and centred on a badass dragon woman. Went on hiatus after five chapters, but I still recommend reading what little there is of it.

"The Glory of Bowsette" - This one is fanfiction and GB, but it's so damn good. The GB is for a trans woman, so you don't have to worry about fake yuri. It also has a very sweet and realistic romance between Bowsette and Peach.

Those are:
"the week I loved you" -

From 2018:

From 2019:
Thanks for the suggestions, some of these names seem familiar, but I know that I haven't read any of the... odd... maybe I saw them in some other post? Anyways Cheers, you have a good one

Maybe you can give it a try to read my novel?
My writing style isnt majestic like most writer in SH. But i believe it quite enjoyable. Its more like Light Novel.
Of course, the MC is a female, there's action as well, it's fantasy, historical and isekai type.
The Tyrant Duchess

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
My writing style isnt majestic like most writer in SH. But i believe it quite enjoyable. Its more like Light Novel.
Of course, the MC is a female, there's action as well, it's fantasy, historical and isekai type.
The Tyrant Duchess
OP's looking for GL. Your novel doesnt seem to be GL as it''s not tagged GL at all nor is there any indication of it in the description.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Have you read "I Favor the Villainess?" It’s fantasy, Isekai. It's pretty good and spans 100+ chapters. Recently they began a manga of it too. That's my recommendation.

NixolasZinn

Have you read "I Favor the Villainess?" It’s fantasy, Isekai. It's pretty good and spans 100+ chapters. Recently they began a manga of it too. That's my recommendation.

Looks it up... then completely realizes that I read this before

This one I know of. And I'm saying it right now, I never felt more disgusted in reading something till I read that. Don't get me wrong it is a great work, the comedy of it is great, and so many other things. But that level of masochism is just.... I wouldn't even showcase that level of happiness from being bullied, and she just completely 180's it as if it's to show affection. And saying it now, I still read it every now and then, but.... I would rather not have my neighbors call the police that some nutjob is cackling like a lunatic. Good recommendation though, cheers

NixolasZinn

The Tyrant Duchess
Yeah no, I'll have to pass on this one. The main takeaway I see is "Reverse Harem" with three secondary takeaways of "Mind Control" "Brainwashing" (kinda redundant to have both) and "Demon" the main issue? The tags alone reminds me of some sort of Mirikon work, don't get me wrong, I might read it in the distant future. But currently, I ain't all that up for something like this. Alone the tags don't mean much, but all together, in a 'mature' novel, with sexual content and character that starts at the age of 14.... even if I read it and see that the lemons don't happen later, the main issue is the fact that I'm looking for Yuri, not some hardcore demon orgies with a reverse harem. And yes, this is me judging a book by its cover and this is me not reading a word of the first chapter, but I really ain't looking for something like this for the time being. You might have an outstanding piece of literature, but right now I just need something to fill my urges of some yuri romance, as I can apparently read over 100 chapters in one day on some webnovels....

NixolasZinn

@sereminar @Moonpearl Thanks for saving me from having to type so much out, I'll be writing out reviews of some things I was interested in when I either get to a certain point or catch up to the latest release. And thank you, everyone, for suggesting some novels that went under my radar for one reason or another.