Authors: What was your reaction to your first 1 star rating?

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
I would appreciate honest answers here.

I just received my first 1 star rating from another site, and honestly, I feel a bit disappointed in myself and my writing.

I know it could simply be a troll, or just someone who doesn't particularly enjoy my style of writing. However, it does cause me to take another look at my story. Questions like "should I rewrite the start?" or "did I fail to engage the reader?" come to mind.

How did you as an author overcome the negative thoughts?

As for me, though I felt down, the 1 star rating reinvigorated my passion to become a better writer and storyteller.

Just for clarity, I don't intend on dropping the story whatsoever. It will continue-on, in all its glory!

Cheers!

-ConTroll

D

Deleted member 29316

I received two 2* ratings on my work and it really caused me to question my abilities as a writer. And to make matters worse, it happened when I was going through tough times too.

Got me depressed for a while, contemplated on whether I should stop writing at all...did some paintings to alleviate my feelings. Cut-off socmed. Did some musings on my work.

But then, I found that my work is just fine, as I intended it to be. Maybe those 2* are just some readers never liking my work because they have their own perspective on certain things that appeared in my story. Or maybe it's the slow-pace...

In any case, don't let it bother you too much. We cannot please everyone. If it gets too much, detach yourself from here for a while and then come back. A few loyal readers is better than thousands of demanding, unreasonable ones. When you have to improve, then do what you must.

Go back to basics. What made you enjoy writing in the first place?

Hope this perspective helps.

Kaguro

It hurts less when you realize it's often not about your writing at all.

I wouldn't say to disregard reader input entirely, but when writing the story go with what you enjoy, not what you think people will like. If you spend dozens of hours writing to please someone else, you're not going to like writing at all, and it's not going to feel like your own story.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I lurked in the community way before I started to write, so I pretty much chalked it up as a troll or a "dislike". However, when my novel's average dropped to like 3.X after a few weeks, it became clear that I was doing something wrong. Admittedly my grammar was pretty trash and my story basic back then. Basically imitation LN.

iamaducklingwriter

Its okay to be hurt sometimes and it would really dampen your spirit as a writer. If you find it really disheartening, I suggest you put the pen down and meditate. I saw a post last night about a writer who shared his paintings and for me, that is one of many ways of putting yourself back.

I only started writing last year and I know that I still have a lot of improvements to make. I write because I love making stories and putting my fantasies into words. You should remember the reason why you write when you are just starting, look by why you write in the first place. Write and continue to write because in amidst of the people who don't like your book are people who look forward on reading your update. Cheer up, writer! *blows you a kiss*

FriendlyDragon

Your friendly local dragon~
Barely anything. First step of being a writer is knowing you're not perfect. You're going to get bad ratings and you honestly should. Especially if you're new. You just take that bad rating as proof that you have things you need to improve on. That's it. Don't let it get too personal.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

I just received my first 1 star rating from another site, and honestly, I feel a bit disappointed in myself and my writing.

I know it could simply be a troll, or just someone who doesn't particularly enjoy my style of writing. However, it does cause me to take another look at my story. Questions like "should I rewrite the start?" or "did I fail to engage the reader?" come to mind.

As for me, though I felt down, the 1 star rating reinvigorated my passion to become a better writer and storyteller.

Just for clarity, I don't intend on dropping the story whatsoever. It will continue-on, in all its glory!

Cheers!

-ConTroll

I don't let it get to me. I mean it's only a single rating and it's not a big deal. You can't please everyone, so I just call up a friend, talk about it and pretend it never happened.

The person who gave the 1 star rating dead body being found in a river the next day and the friend being a professional assassin are completely unrelated, and are nothing more than mere coincidences...

All seriousness aside, just read your positive reviews and comments to motivate yourself if need be.

D

Deleted member 29316

I saw a post last night about a writer who shared his paintings and for me, that is one of many ways of putting yourself back.
I wonder who's that? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Jokes aside, yep. This post...

I lurked in the community way before I started to write, so I pretty much chalked it up as a troll or a "dislike". However, when my novel's average dropped to like 3.X after a few weeks, it became clear that I was doing something wrong. Admittedly my grammar was pretty trash and my story basic back then. Basically imitation LN.

And this one too...

It hurts less when you realize it's often not about your writing at all.

I wouldn't say to disregard reader input entirely, but when writing the story go with what you enjoy, not what you think people will like. If you spend dozens of hours writing to please someone else, you're not going to like writing at all, and it's not going to feel like your own story.

There are some readers that unreasonably demand something from an author (like faster chapter releases, spoilers, or characters that fit their ideals). Unless you're planning to milk-off money from your story, then you don't have to worry about the naysayers' input. There are still many readers out there who'd like to read stories that have 'personality' in them, rather than the bland, 'crowd-pleaser' stories meant to fulfill others' wishes.

Alienix

Back then, I would feel melancholy.

Now that my only goal is to finish my first long story, I react 1* or .5* without any comment with a POG face. Of course, I will analyze people's criticize and judge if it is worth listening to them. That's if they leave a review.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Yorda's Reaction:

*sees a 1 star rating*
Oh. I don't have any 1 star ratings.

Yorda's Reaction Seeing a 2 Star Rating:

*sees a 2 star rating*
They probably just made a mistake when clicking. Everybody makes mistakes.
(Mother ******)

Lulz

Leti

1 star ratings are rating too. It's better than nothing. It would be even better if there is a way for the rater to give a valid reason for their ratings. Adding some explanation could help (if possible).

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
I didn't care. Life goes on.

Of course, on both my stories, I've only ever had one 1 star rating, so...

Yeah. Not a big deal.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Cheers!

-ConTroll
i didn't care at all. Just jealous haters WISHING they had my skillz

Sii

I haven't gotten one yet. And if/when I do I'll probably cry a little and dwell on it for a couple days before carrying on.

MajorKerina

I have one now but had one other one once but someone changed their mind. The one is from my first story and I can see a few reasons like I have a polyamorous bisexual character and lots of anime girls so maybe one of those things got someone upset because it was just a little ways in. I am more intrigued when there are fours and people took time to consider them and have thoughts but not the motivation to give further feedback. One shorter one was maybe way too short and that was why it split 4s and 5s down the middle. Short tales tend to get people wanting more.

bigbear51

I felt bad about it, but I understand that not everyone's going to enjoy my story. Plus there's still a lot of work I have to do to become more skilled at writing properly. However for my first one, I guess whoever gave it either made a mistake or changed their mind because it went away the next day.

Opmjc

If I will receive one-star ratings and sudden bad reviews, then probably, I will stop my novel, and focus on my studies.

You know it's useless, no matter how much you do, you can't satisfy your beloved readers...

It means you are not good enough to be an author.

—But some some people who had a very strong fighting spirit could take that one-star
rating and review as a nothing. They just make it a challenge to improve their writing and styles.

But there are also some who are very negative in mind. Like me... If I know that I can't win then I accept my loss. If I know that I really have no talent at making a novel then I accept it, then move to another... Move until I can find the most suitable one that fits for me.