Ranting on a Review.

Aleth08

So I just got a review on RR [2star]. According to the guy, he'd been with my story since the start and he loves cold, logical MC, but something crossed his line. Up to this, I took it as having different preferences. I've already learned that you cant please everyone; you will have such biased reviews, opinions, etc. There's no changing that. And thats fine, I'm also like that when reading anything.
The next part, he writes he hates unjustified slavery with a passion. This seemed like a clear case of preference, so all good.
But then he writes and I quote "the MC threatening people who have done no wrong to him or any others as far as we and the MC knows, so he can have henchmen is deplorable". This part is the issue. My MC is straight up villain type. Not the 'I want to conquer the world just becuz', but he does whatever's necessary without taking one look at the morals. I mean, he did some pretty drastic stuff, several times for very simple reasons, that cant even begin to compare to forcing someone to become his henchman. I wanted to ask him, tho I didnt, you passed all that point and this is what you find deplorable?
And this is the reason I doubted the authenticity of it. But alas, cant do anything about it, since it passes all the set rules for review, no use reporting it. So here I am, ranting to release my frustration at it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So I just got a review on RR [2star]. According to the guy, he'd been with my story since the start and he loves cold, logical MC, but something crossed his line. Up to this, I took it as having different preferences. I've already learned that you cant please everyone; you will have such biased reviews, opinions, etc. There's no changing that. And thats fine, I'm also like that when reading anything.
The next part, he writes he hates unjustified slavery with a passion. This seemed like a clear case of preference, so all good.
But then he writes and I quote "the MC threatening people who have done no wrong to him or any others as far as we and the MC knows, so he can have henchmen is deplorable". This part is the issue. My MC is straight up villain type. Not the 'I want to conquer the world just becuz', but he does whatever's necessary without taking one look at the morals. I mean, he did some pretty drastic stuff, several times for very simple reasons, that cant even begin to compare to forcing someone to become his henchman. I wanted to ask him, tho I didnt, you passed all that point and this is what you find deplorable?
And this is the reason I doubted the authenticity of it. But alas, cant do anything about it, since it passes all the set rules for review, no use reporting it. So here I am, ranting to release my frustration at it.
alright, first off, tell me the worst thing the MC has done in your opinion. Just do it for me bro.

Second...nigga how are you gonna "justify" slavery? Is that nigga dumb? Like there's literally no justifiable reason for it. It may be necessary for the society. But thats also not a good excuse for it. So what THE FUCK is that cunt on about? I suppose he's read stories before where he think the slavery IS justified, then. Least thats whats implied by his own words

Aleth08

alright, first off, tell me the worst thing the MC has done in your opinion. Just do it for me bro.

Second...nigga how are you gonna "justify" slavery? Is that nigga dumb? Like there's literally no justifiable reason for it. It may be necessary for the society. But thats also not a good excuse for it. So what THE FUCK is that cunt on about? I suppose he's read stories before where he think the slavery IS justified, then. Least thats whats implied by his own words
He semi-massacred a town to create a distraction. No justification there, no 'I did this cuz I had to', or 'town is full of bad people so it was fine'. It was a normal town, and he did it cuz it helped him fight some strong enemies, that was it. In the end, he felt numb about it. Even after that, he's willing to take normal citizens hostage and kill them if someone stopped him [this someone was authority so this threat would work]."
Well, for the justifiable part, it can be chucked up to likes and dislikes. As you cant really expect everyone to be rational.
Edit: uhh...I added a spoiler, its not showing up..
Edit2: nvm, changed it to inline spoiler and worked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

I think I read in the rules of RoyalRoad that you can report it to admins.

But yeah, readers in RR are no chill. I received a similar feedback on my story telling me that my MC is disgusting because he's trying to get everyone along even though one character tried to have him killed. I mean, my MC's the diplomatic type, aside from his lack of powers...what does he want him to do? Grab a gun and murder everyone?

But yeah, we have to fortify our hearts and get used to it. Just continue on writing, and you'll find your audience.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
He semi-massacred a town to create a distraction. No justification there, no 'I did this cuz I had to', or 'town is full of bad people so it was fine'. It was a normal town, and he did it cuz it helped him fight some strong enemies, that was it. In the end, he felt numb about it. Even after that, he's willing to take normal citizens hostage and kill them if someone stopped him [this someone was authority so this threat would work]."
Well, for the justifiable part, it can be chucked up to likes and dislikes. As you cant really expect everyone to be rational.
yeah its obvious he;s being an unreasonable cunt about it then. Alright thanks mate

Man,reading stuff like this make me feel lucky my own readers are so chill. I mean i literally had a chapter where the main character summoned a giant slime monster that tentacle raped and killed, sometimes not even in that order, an entire town of mercenaries for no other reason that they worked for a piece of shit nobleman who pissed off the MC.

And they just rolled with it. The even praised how i let the piece of shit nobleman's piece of shit wife get mindbroken by the futa half ogre pet of the MC's in front of the husband before they chopped off his head.

The freedom i have with that story is insane. Again, my readers are just so chill about its craziness. Shits nice yo.

Aleth08

I think I read in the rules of RoyalRoad that you can report it to admins.

But yeah, readers in RR are no chill. I received a similar feedback on my story telling me that my MC is disgusting because he's trying to get everyone along even though one character tried to have him killed. I mean, my MC's the diplomatic type, aside from his lack of powers...what does he want him to do? Grab a gun and murder everyone?

But yeah, we have to fortify our hearts and get used to it. Just continue on writing, and you'll find your audience.
Yeah exactly. As long as you're an author, and post your work for public, there's no avoiding it. You can only train yourself to become numb to it. Just that this is easier said than done. I've thought many times 'oh, I'm numb to negative comments and ratings now '. And then one such comes along, and destroys all that. Still, I'm getting used to it. I dont get affected as much as I used to when I first started so thats good.

D

Deleted member 29316

Yeah exactly. As long as you're an author, and post your work for public, there's no avoiding it. You can only train yourself to become numb to it. Just that this is easier said than done. I've thought many times 'oh, I'm numb to negative comments and ratings now '. And then one such comes along, and destroys all that. Still, I'm getting used to it. I dont get affected as much as I used to when I first started so thats good.
You're on the right track. RoyalRoad is a good training place to make you numb to such readers. I posted my story before in that site back in August 2019, got a really disrespectful review of my work (demanding that my MC be changed according to his tastes for him to read), so I took it down. But then, I realized my mistake, and decided to re-upload it last week, determined to ignore such demands. So far, it's working, even though my ratings there are quite low.

Let them gnash their teeth getting pissed at our works.

D

Deleted member 29316

yeah its obvious he;s being an unreasonable cunt about it then. Alright thanks mate

Man,reading stuff like this make me feel lucky my own readers are so chill. I mean i literally had a chapter where the main character summoned a giant slime monster that tentacle raped and killed, sometimes not even in that order, an entire town of mercenaries for no other reason that they worked for a piece of shit nobleman who pissed off the MC.

And they just rolled with it. The even praised how i let the piece of shit nobleman's piece of shit wife get mindbroken by the futa half ogre pet of the MC's in front of the husband before they chopped off his head.

The freedom i have with that story is insane. Again, my readers are just so chill about its craziness. Shits nice yo.
My brother (a journalist) often tells me that those kinds of readers can't separate fiction from reality. :blobrofl:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
My brother (a journalist) often tells me that those kinds of readers can't separate fiction from reality. :blobrofl:
i'd argue they are the ones with the most clearly defined line between fiction and reality. You can only get upset about something if you take it seriously, after all. I'd like to know what your brother would say in response to this logic.
EDIT: Hell that sounds fun af tho. Your reality would be pretty damn interesting if such lines were blurred, or even gone altogether. It'd be a trip. Like a perpetual high...that thought does something sexual for me

D

Deleted member 29316

i'd argue they are the ones with the most clearly defined line between fiction and reality. You can only get upset about something if you take it seriously, after all. I'd like to know what your brother would say in response to this logic.
Hmm...interesting point there.

Well, he just told me that why would they be upset if they know the boundaries between fiction and reality? Just like in video games, some would say that the violent games make a player a future killer. But more or less, he does agree with your point.

In any case, personally, I'm more on ignoring such readers.

Aleth08

You're on the right track. RoyalRoad is a good training place to make you numb to such readers. I posted my story before in that site back in August 2019, got a really disrespectful review of my work (demanding that my MC be changed according to his tastes for him to read), so I took it down. But then, I realized my mistake, and decided to re-upload it last week, determined to ignore such demands. So far, it's working, even though my ratings there are quite low.

Let them gnash their teeth getting pissed at our works.
Heh. I once received a review saying he could imagine the author being someone named chuck, 30-year old, sitting in his mother's basement, and writing this shit. He then went on to add some weird imaginations of his that included a hairy sweaty guy, writing a wish fulfillment story, from the said basement. Its now removed, but it was hilarious.

D

Deleted member 29316

Heh. I once received a review saying he could imagine the author being someone named chuck, 30-year old, sitting in his mother's basement, and writing this shit. He then went on to add some weird imaginations of his that included a hairy sweaty guy, writing a wish fulfillment story, from the said basement. Its now removed, but it was hilarious.
Such wild imagination. XD

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
but
Hmm...interesting point there.

Well, he just told me that why would they be upset if they know the boundaries between fiction and reality? Just like in video games, some would say that the violent games make a player a future killer. But more or less, he does agree with your point.

In any case, personally, I'm more on ignoring such readers.
anyone who gets upset over fictitious events dont have as strong a boundary specifically because they take it so seriously. Meanwhile those who dont take it seriously and dont get upset realize that while the events may happen in real life, that what is happening in the story is purely fictional (unless based on true events of course) and therefore have much stronger boundaries between reality and fiction. They know its all made up, so they're uber chill about most anything that happens. They can probably enjoy a much wider variety of works too, now that i think of it.

Eh. Just my take on it tho. i Ignore haters too. They're just jealous of my writing skills that eclipse god's own. In fact, I'm famously known as the Great Author Dwarfing Heaven.

D

Deleted member 29316

but

anyone who gets upset over fictitious events dont have as strong a boundary specifically because they take it so seriously. Meanwhile those who dont take it seriously and dont get upset realize that while the events may happen in real life, that what is happening in the story is purely fictional (unless based on true events of course) and therefore have much stronger boundaries between reality and fiction. They know its all made up, so they're uber chill about most anything that happens. They can probably enjoy a much wider variety of works too, now that i think of it.
Yep, I agree on this one. I love readers who are like that. Just chill and enjoy. If you don't like something, you can give your insights in a civilized manner; no need to rant. But of course, not everyone is like that.

Eh. Just my take on it tho. i Ignore haters too. They're just jealous of my writing skills that eclipse god's own. In fact, I'm famously known as the Great Author Dwarfing Heaven.

Yeah, I'm your secret fan. (Though it's not a secret anymore) XD

shiopan

it would be hilarious if you are actually a cute loli instead. 😂

i won't recommend RR, if you just want to write for enjoyment

the fact that they let toxic people roam around scot-free is a testament of their competency

though i do quit for different reasons though (like they didn't allow much lewds anymore and banning lolis).

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased

Ngl, that sounds like my kind of book.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Sounds like some stuff I'd write XDDD

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
i won't recommend RR, if you just want to write for enjoyment

the fact that they let toxic people roam around scot-free is a testament of their competency

though i do quit for different reasons though (like they didn't allow much lewds anymore and banning lolis).
weren't you apart of that invite-only discord thing L Nimbus started? The Huddlers?