Are You Still You?

Erys

Her Highness
So you died, but instead of getting Isekai'd, you wake up in the body of a clone retaining all your memories. Is it really you, or is it a clone thinking it's you?

Murphy_

So you died, but instead of getting Isekai'd, you wake up in the body of a clone retaining all your memories. Is it really you, or is it a clone thinking it's you?
You woke up in a clone of the same world you lived in or what?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Since it's a reincarnation then I'm going to assume that you would still be the same person as it's the same soul and memories. If there wasn't a soul but there were memories then it would be a clone. If the soul is still there but there are no memories then it wouldn't be you but a regular reincarnation.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Yes. If I have my memories, even if I am in a new body, I'm still me.

Daitengu

Doesn't matter to me, but I have a very loose definition of self. I think, therefore I am. If I think I'm not, then I'm not. If I think I am, then I am. Reality is only ever what a person thinks it is. Regardless of outside influences.

RockiesRetriever

Well it's a bit of a ship of theseus situation. Kind of like how your body completely regenerates its cells multiple times in its life.

I'd say yes, personally.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

When you wake up every morning, are you still you? Or do you simply die every time you go to sleep and wake up with memories that have been loaded up from your brain?

Humans should stop thinking about complicated things and do their job of being human slaves of cats

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
It's you.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
So I died, but instead of getting Isekai'd, I wake up in the body of a clone retaining all your memories. => I'm probably a clone that thinks I am the original person.

Simon, the MC, thinks he's doing "mind transfert", but he actually keeps cloning himself. He is even asked to kill his sleeping previous body, but is unable to entirely comprehend his situation until the bitter end.

And the player is left wondering, why did the Simons had to be born their specific version of Simon. And in broader scope, what made you be born as you, and not as an alcoholic 8th century peasant or as Justin Bieber?

If you clone yourself, the clone may have an identical decision making as you. But it will definitely have a mind of its own, and experience a personal life. Once a mind is born, there's the certainty that it will never experience any other self (unless it's an organism that can merge somehow). Isn't it kinda weird?

AryaX

Its not the body, or memories, or personality traits, etc... that makes me Me...

What makes me Me, is the fact that I am Me, and not something else...

Its that simple...

Last edited:

Baddest_Assest

Every time you sleep, you kill yourself, meaning the person you wake up is not you, but the person who has the same exact experience as yours. And the current YOU is nothing but a person who took place of the yesterday's YOU. Your self is shaped through your experiences, circumstances, difficulties, problems, bad moments, sad moments, angry moments, happy moments... literally everything you have ever gone through throughout your whole life.

Another interesting question would be, what if the current YOU and your childhood YOU meet, Who is the more complete YOU. One might say it's the current version of mine because I am more mature than young me, but are you really? Imagine your future self 40-50 years old coming and taking over your body and justifying it by saying that he is more 'mature' than you and it's essentially 'his body'. Will you agree? Will you let him take over your body and let him live your life? I don't think I would cause to me he is a different person, a stranger perhaps is a better word. Even though he is me. The future me might have been the same person as me at one point in time but now he is a different person.

Now to your question, technically he is not YOU, but he is a YOU from the future, thus a stranger. Not exactly a clone but a person who is just like YOU, might show the same habit as YOU and might even make the same decision as YOU. I am using might here because just the experience of you dying and waking to a different world will change YOU. And finally my answer to your question, according to my opinion is that he is a different person(not a clone but a different person) who thinks he is YOU. But then again by this logic, you are also a different person who thinks that he is YOU.

YOU or your sense of self is nothing but a consciousness that has surfaced after you have experienced whatever you have experienced in your life.

And it's 2 am, and I am really proud that I wrote such a wise-sounding answer, and feel like I have discovered something really great and now I am imagining myself winning the Nobel prize for this. I think I should just sleep/kill myself and let another person (who thinks he is me but actually, he is not) take over my body when I wake up the next day. good night you will never see me again and if you see me, it will not be me but a different person wearing a body that has housed thousands of ME. I only hope in my short life span of a day, I have brought a smile to your face. :)

Last edited:

AryaX

Babylon5 quote: "Do you know what your problem is ? You are a piece of the machine that thinks it is the whole of the machine. The flute that believes itself a symphony. You have malfunctioned. ..."

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Babylon5 quote: "Do you know what your problem is ? You are a piece of the machine that thinks it is the whole of the machine. The flute that believes itself a symphony. You have malfunctioned. ..."
Couldn't that also be applied to your answer?

AryaX

Umm... No?

Unless my answer wasn't clear... Which is quite possible... :unsure:

While I obviously experience the same delusion of being human that everyone does, I do however recognize it for the delusion it is...

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Umm... No?

Unless my answer wasn't clear... Which is quite possible... :unsure:

While I obviously experience the same delusion of being human that everyone does, I do however recognize it for the delusion it is...
Then before I make further accusations, what is "you"?