Fanfictions

Unasrt

Okay, I don't understand fanfic writers. They're already "stealing" other people's world background and characters and they shamelessly promote their patreon and everything like that. How is that allowed?
Just make your own world and characters if you want money for your work.
I understand that it also take skill to make a fanfic but I don't understand how some writers have the audacity to make money off it. if it's just a free passion project then I have no qualms with it
Okay, rant over.

Premier

It’s no different to commissioned fan art and that makes astronomically more money.

Or people doing cover songs on YouTube. Cosplayers. Animation. Physical Fanmade merch. Doujin.

Honestly it’s kind of weird how permissive people are to people getting paid for anything but writing when it comes to fan works.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My Patreon isn't for earning money from my fanfiction. It's for earning money so I can commission more art for my fanfiction . . . if I even get any patrons in the first place. Actually, I started it many years ago offering to make custom linked hearts and symbols for people. I had one patron giving me one dollar a month for a while, but then I went inactive and the patron stopped.

Eclectic_Asininity

Okay, I don't understand fanfic writers. They're already "stealing" other people's world background and characters and they shamelessly promote their patreon and everything like that. How is that allowed?
I understand that it also take skill to make a fanfic but I don't understand how some writers have the audacity to make money off it. if it's just a free passion project then I have no qualms with it
Okay, rant over.
I don't understand charities, they're already "stealing" other people's money and they shamelessly promote themselves.
Okay, rant over.
Most fanfiction is for huge IPs that get bought up by multibillion dollar corporations who don't care about their quality anymore. People want to see more content with their favorite characters that they have some kind of affinity for. Look at Marvel for instance: You can take some shitty harem novel written by a dude in another language and ran through a translator and it would still be more entertaining than the shit the company has been putting out for the past couple years.

Not to mention that copyright is an archaic broken system that I hold nothing but contempt for and is abused by companies every fucking day.

I just wish more people were original with their fanfiction and didn't just follow the original story verbatim.

Last edited:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Because the copyright agenda is keeping us all down! (she says, having all rights reserved on her own work despite hating copyright because shes an insecure lesbian at heart)

Also let's assume copyright is not problematic and that we absolutely must protect the sanctity of original authorial dominion. It STILL doesn't matter. Copyright governs selling copies of a work for profit.

That is NOT what a Patreon does.

Patreon is technically a donation model meaning you're paying for jack shit.

But lets pretend that it is a business transaction.

the product being sold STILL isn't copies of a literary work.

It's the fanfic writer's TIME and CREATIVE ENERGY.

You don't get to own another humans creative efforts.

That's why patreon for fanfic, or any other work, or any other fan anything, is absolutely legit.

Eclectic_Asininity

Because the copyright agenda is keeping us all down! (she says, having all rights reserved on her own work despite hating copyright because shes an insecure lesbian at heart)

Also let's assume copyright is not problematic and that we absolutely must protect the sanctity of original authorial dominion. It STILL doesn't matter. Copyright governs selling copies of a work for profit.

That is NOT what a Patreon does.

Patreon is technically a donation model meaning you're paying for jack shit.

But lets pretend that it is a business transaction.

the product being sold STILL isn't copies of a literary work.

It's the fanfic writer's TIME and CREATIVE ENERGY.

You don't get to own another humans creative efforts.

That's why patreon for fanfic, or any other work, or any other fan anything, is absolutely legit.
That's cool and all, but what did being a lesbian have to do with hating copyright? That just seems like an unnecessary detail.
That's cool and all, but what did being a lesbian have to do with hating copyright? That just seems like an unnecessary detail.
My bad I forgot what site I was on.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Stealing? Not technically. Using patreon isn't illegal either. Unless the fanfic writer starts directly selling his fanfic or a few other things that are likely legal niches, he hasn't done anything wrong

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian

My bad I forgot what site I was on.

It doesn't unless you wanna make the argument that capitalism is responsible for both LGBT rights violations and copyright existing. Or authoritarianism, or lobbying, corruption, any number of factors.

Me, though? I'm just being argumentative in my rebellious pride high. I'm a bit spicy like that xP

Surfing_Cipher

Okay, rant over.
trynna making something credible of a dark fantasy hentai buddy