Woohoo! I've been plagiarized!

SPS4

Didn't think anything I wrote was worth a shit, but apparently someone has deemed it good enough to be stolen. I'm honored that they would deem it worthy of being reposted on WebNovel. I know, shocker, WebNovel. 60k+ views in one week as well, which is way better than what I did on here. Have I been posting smut on the wrong website?

As much as I like joking around, I do want to have it gone from that website. My question is: What's the best way to get them to do that and how long would it take? I've already sent an email through the DMCA link on their contact section. Also left a comment on the first chapter saying that the work was plagiarized.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Didn't think anything I wrote was worth a shit, but apparently someone has deemed it good enough to be stolen. I'm honored that they would deem it worthy of being reposted on WebNovel. I know, shocker, WebNovel. 60k+ views in one week as well, which is way better than what I did on here. Have I been posting smut on the wrong website?

As much as I like joking around, I do want to have it gone for that website. My question is what's the best way to get them to do that and how long would it take? I've already sent an email through the DMCA link on their contact section. Also left a comment on the first chapter saying that the work was plagiarized.
That's probably enough for now. Wait and see what happens. If it gets removed within a few weeks then all's good. If you hear nothing back then spam every chapter with your comment and spam them with DMCA emails. I don't know what else you could do. Though definitely consider using this to expose yourself more. comment on all the comments on each chapter telling the reader that it's your work and to consider following you before it gets taken down.

CreationWillL

As much as I like joking around, I do want to have it gone for that website. My question is what's the best way to get them to do that and how long would it take? I've already sent an email through the DMCA link on their contact section. Also left a comment on the first chapter saying that the work was plagiarized.
Name? I will leave a comment too.

SPS4

That's probably enough for now. Wait and see what happens. If it gets removed within a few weeks then all's good. If you hear nothing back then spam every chapter with your comment and spam them with DMCA emails. I don't know what else you could do.
Makes sense. I guess it's just a waiting game completely dependant on the competency of the WebNovel DMCA team.
Though definitely consider using this to expose yourself more. comment on all the comments on each chapter telling the reader that it's your work and to consider following you before it gets taken down.
Oh trust me, I've already done that. At first I figured one was fine, then I thought this could be an opportunity. I'm a dirty little attention whore and I'll always stoop down to do some shameless advertising.
Name? I will leave a comment too.
I appreciate it, but I just decided to leave a comment on every chapter and think that one is enough. As much as I don't like it, it's also early and I think escalating any further might be ill advised. But if this keeps on, you better believe I'll do some hardcore astroturfing.

Last edited:

CreationWillL

Makes sense. I guess it's just a waiting game completely dependant on the competency of the WebNovel DMCA team.

Oh trust me, I've already done that. At first I figured one was fine, then I thought this could be an opportunity. I'm a dirty little attention whore and I'll always stoop down to do some shameless advertising.

I appreciate it, but I just decided to leave a comment on every chapter and think that one is enough. As much as I don't like it, it's also early and I think escalating any further might be ill advised. But if this keeps point on you better believe I'll do sole hardcore astroturfing.
If you change your mind, count me in any way. Stealing from other people is so low.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
This is why I register the trademark for my stories, and why I ain't published it yet, I'm waiting for the trademark to be approved

SPS4

This is why I register the trademark for my stories, and why I ain't published it yet, I'm waiting for the trademark to be approved
Smart, but mine is a fanfic so I don't have that luxury. Plus, I'm actually not against translators or people that want to do adaptations/parodies, I just want the work to be original and for them to ask for permission. I actually chose Creative Commons for everything I wrote because if someone is inspired to be creative because of something I wrote, I want to encourage them. This is something totally different, though.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Not sure if you're in the US, but in the US the second you publish either physically or digitally, your story is copyrighted, you don't need to apply for any protections under the law, you just get it by default. Trademarks apply to logos and designs and copyrights apply to stories (in the US). You can't trademark a story but you can trademark characteristic designs that you might use for marketing.

Again, maybe you aren't in the US and your laws work differently, but if you are in the US, then I'm not actually sure you're doing anything that actually helps yourself, unless you've already got some established universe with characters that are going to sell merchandise the second your story publishes, and even then anyone trying to use your IP would still have to make it "legally distinct".

Edit: This isn't legal advice, just musings on the function of copyright vs trademarks.

We've seen a good example of the two recently with Steamboat Willie and the Disney Logo. The Disney Logo is a trademark, and can be renewed in perpetuity, where as the Steamboat Willie character and story are copyrighted and have recently entered public domain. You can't use a certain outline of Steamboat Willie because it's the disney trademark, but you can do whatever you want now with the character himself. Likewise, prior to this you couldn't sell your own Steamboat Willie figurines because of the copyright. Now, hypothetically, you can, as long as your tiptoe around any other disney trademarks and copyright, but damn it would be hard.

Additionally, registering a trademark costs hundreds of dollars and takes nearly a year to be processed. If you're a publishing author with some LLC that you publish through, it'd be worth it to register a few trademarks related to your business and pseudonyms or series titles, but if you're just starting out with a webnovel, you'll be completely protected for most cases under copyright law. The reason you'd even want the trademark is mostly to allow you to more aggressively pursue lawsuits of infringement of your business, which to do in any effective regards would require you to keep a lawyer on retainer, unless you just plan on bluffing by having ChatGPT draft a cease and desist letter and never actually follow through on your lawsuit if the recipient doesn't actually comply.

Last edited:

SPS4

Webnovel terribly inflates views though. Like a hundred per click, even if the same person. I tested it before.
Ah, that would make sense. Can't say I'm surprised that WebNovel would do something like that.

Temple

Ah, that would make sense. Can't say I'm surprised that WebNovel would do something like that.
Their traffic used to be huge a long time ago, but it isn't now. And there's almost no way for uncontracted stories to get seen, so they have to do something like this to hook authors into continuing to post. People post more if they think their works are read. So, Webnovel fakes it to keep authors with them.

Aader

Not sure if you're in the US, but in the US the second you publish either physically or digitally, your story is copyrighted, you don't need to apply for any protections under the law, you just get it by default. Trademarks apply to logos and designs and copyrights apply to stories (in the US). You can't trademark a story but you can trademark characteristic designs that you might use for marketing.

Again, maybe you aren't in the US and your laws work differently, but if you are in the US, then I'm not actually sure you're doing anything that actually helps yourself, unless you've already got some established universe with characters that are going to sell merchandise the second your story publishes, and even then anyone trying to use your IP would still have to make it "legally distinct".

Edit: This isn't legal advice, just musings on the function of copyright vs trademarks.

We've seen a good example of the two recently with Steamboat Willie and the Disney Logo. The Disney Logo is a trademark, and can be renewed in perpetuity, where as the Steamboat Willie character and story are copyrighted and have recently entered public domain. You can't use a certain outline of Steamboat Willie because it's the disney trademark, but you can do whatever you want now with the character himself. Likewise, prior to this you couldn't sell your own Steamboat Willie figurines because of the copyright. Now, hypothetically, you can, as long as your tiptoe around any other disney trademarks and copyright, but damn it would be hard.

Additionally, registering a trademark costs hundreds of dollars and takes nearly a year to be processed. If you're a publishing author with some LLC that you publish through, it'd be worth it to register a few trademarks related to your business and pseudonyms or series titles, but if you're just starting out with a webnovel, you'll be completely protected for most cases under copyright law. The reason you'd even want the trademark is mostly to allow you to more aggressively pursue lawsuits of infringement of your business, which to do in any effective regards would require you to keep a lawyer on retainer, unless you just plan on bluffing by having ChatGPT draft a cease and desist letter and never actually follow through on your lawsuit if the recipient doesn't actually comply.
For clarity, the trademark is for my llc which is the legal entity that owns my stories in all forms. In this, I'll be able to protect myself, though I do sort of have the idea of turning it into a pseudo writers guild where in exchange for a fee, legal services pertaining to copyright, trademarks and the like would be provided. Though that's a pipe dream.

writers guild
Some nights, when I am most bored, I think up charters, policies, and infrastructure of a union for web novelists.

One that will help monitor copyright infringments, give contract and enployment advice, have cease and desist letter templates and guides to how to litigate when needed.

Death-69

As much as I like joking around, I do want to have it gone from that website. My question is: What's the best way to get them to do that and how long would it take? I've already sent an email through the DMCA link on their contact section. Also left a comment on the first chapter saying that the work was plagiarized.
I hope one day I'll reach that level, haven't been plagiarized yet.

Aader

Some nights, when I am most bored, I think up charters, policies, and infrastructure of a union for web novelists.

One that will help monitor copyright infringments, give contract and enployment advice, have cease and desist letter templates and guides to how to litigate when needed.
Thing is, I'd want an organization that doesn't own the works of the writers/creators. Though works could be donated for the organization to profit from to fund the litigation.

want an organization that doesn't own the works of the writers/creators.
That's generally how, writers guilds work, but it runs on annual fees, and fees depends on income or something iirc.

But I don't recall if the screenwriters guild asked me to proof my income.

I just told them I have no income, and they looked me and was like lol " ok. " but this was 10 years ago...