I will tell you when and why I stopped reading your story.

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
I'm a very character orientated reader, and I didn't really like your MC. This is almost certainly the most subjective issue I found, but I'm not a fan of immediately powerful characters. And beyond being powerful and looking down on humans, you don't really give any information on why I should care about this person. And if they can easily fight off dozens of people at the start, it doesn't feel like there's much at stake, or else there'll be a lot of power creep later on.
I can say that it's definitely the latter; it's a strong-to-stronger MC and the ensuing threats include even deities by the end of the book. The goal was to introduce the MC as being competent by the standards of random mooks, before slowly revealing the true level of the world with her subsequent defeats and near-defeats. But I understand that the style of beginning in medias res and revealing more things later is something that can be hard to get into. I think it comes from my being browbeat so hard to 'cut to the action', 'avoid meandering prologues / introductions', and 'start as late as possible'.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.

OatMush

up to no good
I can say that it's definitely the latter; it's a strong-to-stronger MC and the ensuing threats include even deities by the end of the book. The goal was to introduce the MC as being competent by the standards of random mooks, before slowly revealing the true level of the world with her subsequent defeats and near-defeats. But I understand that the style of beginning in medias res and revealing more things later is something that can be hard to get into. I think it comes from my being browbeat so hard to 'cut to the action', 'avoid meandering prologues / introductions', and 'start as late as possible'.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.
You're welcome.

But damn it! I wanted my super long post to go at the start of the new page! I wanted everyone to suffer having to scroll past it :blob_pout:

2wordsperminute

Ok! Ok! Let's go!

I've read up to the end of chapter 2. I in general enjoyed it, I like your setting and your character's motivation is relatable. I was unsure how to approach this review, so I decided to give the format a go:

What I liked:
  • Your writing, if you've made any grammatical or spelling mistakes, I didn't notice them. I can tell this is carefully edited, and that counts for something in my book.
  • I really enjoy this kind of setting. It feels abstract and artificial in a way that builds mystery. It immediately makes my question how the world became like this and how the people got into this situation. Also makes me think of OFF and other RPG maker games, which is a positive association for me.
  • It's very approachable, it's very easy to read.
  • Characterisation, I will talk more about this, in very few words I feel I understand your character's motivations quite well.
What I think could be improved:
  • Your cover. I don't usually talk about covers, but it's something of the elephant in the room. Personally it's a bit refreshing to see something other than a generic anime waifu or an edgy generic male lead, but I would describe the cover as 'programmer art', and I think it misrepresents the quality of your writing, and is likely the reason your story has seen so few page views.
  • The amount of description, as I said, I like this kind of world, but after two chapters I still can't visualise what it looks like! What's over the cliff? The sky? Infinite darkness? Whiteness? What does the town look like? What does the road look like? What does the cave look like? This is probably the main issue preventing me from reading more.
Overall it's quite good, and I definitely think you should keep writing it. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the cover isn't great, but I also doubt that will change. Just updated it yesterday, and while I think it was definitely an improvement (though still not quite good enough), art isn't my strong suit, I don't really want to use AI just out of principle, and commissioning art makes no sense for me personally, at least for this project since it's just for fun. As for the second point, yeah I need to go back and add in more descriptions. I'm just not used to giving visual descriptions, so it's hard for me to know exactly where to fit them in (you can probably chalk it up to doing d&d online where I can have a visual representation of everything with only very few descriptions I need to give). Again, thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

KDBooks97

I really appreciate your time and your review and I'm really glad you knew your limit and didn't read past what you were comfortable. Luna's story is not my life story, but mirrors mine and others close to me in several ways. I'm happy to report that I am years clean of self-harm and am writing Luna's story to hopefully inspire and help others affected by self harm and similar trauma.

On a less serious note, I do have another story that if you would like to, you are more then welcome to take a look at. Don't feel pressured to and feel free to skip it, I've gotten my review from you for my first Luna Samuels story (My main project) and am quite happy with it.

I sat down and tried to write an amalgamation of almost every popular genre on popular romance novel sites like Inkitt/Wattpad/Etc. It contains vampire-esque creatures (FMC), ceo/billionaire MMC, gang activity, Badboy/Badgirl and is just generally a gory romp through every trope I could possibly shove in a 'book' and still make it semi-readable. Think Repo the Genetic Opera meets Lifetime movies. It's only a chapter so far, and contains some serious blood and gore, so reader beware.

Last edited:

EldritchPotato

Eldritch deity & really hard thinker.
Ok folks! Time for another catch up spectacular!

Hello! Let's see!

I read the first chapter, it seems quite good, but not for me personally. I'm going to give some input on why I didn't enjoy it, but considering the very positive reaction you've received, I wouldn't take my advice very seriously, I'm just not your target audience. I think you'll find much more useful feedback from someone else. Anyway, I'll do my best to give some useful feedback, just don't take it very seriously.

Introduction
I was very confused for the first few paragraphs, I understand you want to jump straight into the action, but I would rather more context. I even went back to make sure I hadn't accidentally started on the second or third chapter. You do give most the information needed later, but I felt lost at the start. Which leads me to my next point:

Summary
I'm the type who usually skips the summary, I prefer to just read the first few paragraphs, but in your story it almost seems the summary is necessary to read to get context, so to me it felt like you skipped the start of the story. But this might just be me being dumb.

Character
I'm a very character orientated reader, and I didn't really like your MC. This is almost certainly the most subjective issue I found, but I'm not a fan of immediately powerful characters. And beyond being powerful and looking down on humans, you don't really give any information on why I should care about this person. And if they can easily fight off dozens of people at the start, it doesn't feel like there's much at stake, or else there'll be a lot of power creep later on.

Description
I would rather there be more, in the first few paragraphs, I can't visualise what's happening. What does the MC look like? you say they're half dragon, but that doesn't tell me much. What does the forest look like? It seems there's a lot of fungus, but is this a deciduous forest with giant mushrooms? Rainforest? Nusicaa style full on alien fungi forest? I would personally like to know, but your target audience might not care so much.

She scoffed. Dangerous to a human
Is she scoffing at the narrator? If that wasn't her internal monologue, how did she hear it? If it is, why did she think something that she finds scoffable? Feels odd to me.

but I’ll try to hold back my rage.
This is a bit too edgy for me ... Since when was she enraged? She seems more bored and professional to me...

After rereading my review, I worry I sound like I'm being too negative, so I feel the need to reiterate that I think your writing is actually pretty good, and considering the overwhelming positive reception, you're obviously doing something very right, my issues are entirely subjective to this single reader.

So.... Keep it up! Welcome to SH and I hope you continue to find success here, and most of all I hope you have fun!

Ok! Ok! Let's go!

I've read up to the end of chapter 2. I in general enjoyed it, I like your setting and your character's motivation is relatable. I was unsure how to approach this review, so I decided to give the format a go:

What I liked:
  • Your writing, if you've made any grammatical or spelling mistakes, I didn't notice them. I can tell this is carefully edited, and that counts for something in my book.
  • I really enjoy this kind of setting. It feels abstract and artificial in a way that builds mystery. It immediately makes my question how the world became like this and how the people got into this situation. Also makes me think of OFF and other RPG maker games, which is a positive association for me.
  • It's very approachable, it's very easy to read.
  • Characterisation, I will talk more about this, in very few words I feel I understand your character's motivations quite well.
What I think could be improved:
  • Your cover. I don't usually talk about covers, but it's something of the elephant in the room. Personally it's a bit refreshing to see something other than a generic anime waifu or an edgy generic male lead, but I would describe the cover as 'programmer art', and I think it misrepresents the quality of your writing, and is likely the reason your story has seen so few page views.
  • The amount of description, as I said, I like this kind of world, but after two chapters I still can't visualise what it looks like! What's over the cliff? The sky? Infinite darkness? Whiteness? What does the town look like? What does the road look like? What does the cave look like? This is probably the main issue preventing me from reading more.
Overall it's quite good, and I definitely think you should keep writing it. Good luck and have fun!

Hello hello! I have fun at least! I hope you enjoy my review!

I picked Orca's Serenade, because I think feedback on your ongoing story might be the most useful to you. Lettuce begin:

I read up to the end of chapter 3 including the prologue.

Well, it's good! The writing is good, the premise is interesting, and the 2 MC's are both relatable in different ways. 5* and added to reading list.
Honestly I don't even really have much feedback to give, I like it. I don't even have many nitpicks... Well I have one.

loud machines This was
Just a missing full stop, but it's in the first paragraph.

So uhhh.... Sorry for the short review! I didn't find much to critique! Keep it up! I'll keep reading! I'm not a huge fan of gl so I might drop off if that becomes the main focus, but you seem a good writer anyway!

Hello! Well, it took awhile for me to get to it, so there's five chapters as I'm writing this. Let's give it a go!

Ok! Well, I read all five! I like it! I'll admit to liking monster girl stories and I enjoy your writing style, I'm interested to see where this goes! Here's some nitpicks:

He commands the entire rom with his presence
typo.

Something that jumped out to me, was the strangeness of the guild discovering the paperwork. I wouldn't say it's a pothole, but I'm not sure I understand how the brotherhood could fail at destroying paperwork, and even if a few pages somehow survived, how did the guild find and recognize it for what it is?
A bigger related problem, why would a research institution destroy their records? Do you think scientists record things for fun? Even if #97 was a failure, surely they'd want to archive the results for future reference? Maybe you explain why later though, it just felt odd to me.

Hmmmm... Well sorry I don't have much feedback to give so you're getting a short review, but at least it's for the best reasons. I've added to reading list and given 5*! Keep writing and I'll keep reading! Have fun!

Submit and I shall review! Let's g-g-g-go!

Oh ho? I haven't read the first chapter yet, but it seems this is something of an interactive story, I haven't reviewed one yet so this could be fun! May haps I'll even post a memo?

Hohohoho I like this. I've read through and submitted a triple memo, I will play along!

In terms of writing, it's good! It reminds me a lot of Dracula!

My only recommendation would be to make onboarding easier, as it is it's quite intimidating.

Anyway! I'll be reading and playing along, 5* and added to reading list! (playing list?) I hope you find a player base!

Intermission!

Hoo Boi this is taking a long time, originally I picked this format because it was quick and easy, but I seem to spend longer and longer on each submission!
Oh well! I enjoy the process! It makes me wonder if anyone other than the reviewees ever reads this? Will anyone read this whole thing? Am I reviewing into the void?! Is anyone here?

Anyways, time for a ciggy, glass of water and a wander around the rainforest. I saw a cussowary today! That was cool!

Ok! Ciggy smoked, water drunk, forest a'wandered, isolation grappled with! (I talked with a strange shirtless man I met in the forest, you're never as alone as you think!) Let us continue!

Yes! Hardwork! Forwards!

Ok! I read to the end of chapter two! Now, I have 2 admissions to make,
1). Superheros aren't my favourite, there are exceptions but in the wild it's unlikely I would of continued past your tags and summary, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
2). I've done sin and read TheTrinary's review beforehand. Normally I avoid reading reviews about any of my submissions since I want to keep my thoughts my own. Unfortunately, due to the number of submissions, I didn't realise you had also submitted to me! This means I inevitably had their thoughts in my head while I read, I did my best not to let them influence me too much, but I'm afraid they did.

Now, onto my review:

If I wasn't reviewing, and if I hadn't read theTrinary's criticism (not gonna @ cause there's no reason to summon them here), I probably would have stopped after the first few paragraphs. I don't like them, they're flowery and boring, and a bit confusing.
Which is a shame, because having read past my organic stopping point, I can say your writing improves a lot in the second chapter. I highly recommend redoing those first few paragraphs, get to the point faster and try to make an actual hook.

I've now read to the end of the second chapter, you pick up speed and plot starts happening in far fewer and less pretentious words... and honestly I quite like it. Your character is a pretty fun dude! Once you turn the writing quirks down from 11 to 6, it's pretty good reading!

What I liked:
  • Relatable character, I've been out of highschool a good while but I can relate to the self doubt of youth still
  • Interesting family dynamic, everyone introduced in the 2 chapters I read felt like a believably flawed character, interested to see where this goes.
  • Description! After the problematic first chapter, you give me a good idea about what the character is thinking\feeling, and what his home life is like
What I didn't:
  • The first chapter, I feel TheTrinary does a better job describing what's wrong with it then I am able, but I don't think it's as bad as they say. Get to the point faster, and include a hook. A lot of readers like me will give up a story if they don't like the first chapter.
  • Gaining the system, it comes a bit out left field to me, are systems common in this world? Well-known? Mythological? Is mc the first in the world to get one?
Overall, I'm adding to my reading list because it seems interesting, don't be put off by harsh reviews! There's a diamond in this rough, keep writing! Have fun!

Ok laddy-boy! Let's go!

Well, I haven't read first chapter yet, but for once I read the summary. It needs work in my opinion, the name(title) thing feels clunky, the lack of full stops pretentious and unnecessary, and there's what looks like a typo in the elementalis. Not a great start for this reader, in an organic reading I wouldn't have clicked away, there are a thousand stories on this site, and this doesn't catch my attention.

I read until here:
He stop for one moment, and look away, focused in one direction
There are a million mistakes, and I'm not a huge fan of
(OatMush)-"this gimmick!" *Slaps you*
This is subjective of course, but it reads more like a roleplay than a story. Nothing wrong with it really, just not what this reader is personally into.

As for the number of mistakes... please reread what you write :(

Now, I will say ignoring what I didn't like, the premise is interesting, so if this is what floats your boat, have at it! Have fun! (Sorry for the short review, I'm obviously very far from being your target audience)

Hello hello! Welcome again to SHF!

Now, to forewarn, I'm not the biggest fan of GL, harem and gameLit, so I'm probably not your target audience, I will of course give it a go anyway! Just don't take what I say to heart, you'll likely do well to get reviews from others.

Oooor not! This seems pretty good. I've read the first 2 chapters, I'm adding to reading list and giving 5*, I may stop reading later on, but you have my interest against the odds.

What I liked:
  • General flow, you move things along at a good pace, never lingering long enough for me too bored while still describing things in good detail.
  • Description! Again you smoothly give enough information that I can visualise the proceedings well, without wasting time describing things I don't care about.
  • Premise, a world were people who die an embarassing death go? It seems I have my afterlife planned out
  • Realistic character, I feel she handles things quite well, but understandably has a minor panic attack.
  • General editing, I didn't notice any typos or odd Grammer, so that's a good start
What I didn't:
  • human shape and shoved a skinsuit onto them. Odd wording methinks, maybe replace onto with over?
  • Maybe lacking a strong hook? I enjoyed what I read so far, but I don't feel a burning passion to find out what happens next.
Overall, pretty solid. We'll see later on if I lose interest, but for now I enjoyed it! Keep it up!

Intermission II
Well it's dark now, the mind is willing but the flesh grows hungry! Time for dinner.

Mind refreshed and belly full! I also saw quokka! Wallabies! Fireflies! And almost got hit in the face by a bat! (The flying mammal, not the instrument of sportsmanship) Enchanting! I like Queensland!

I do. I do want a read.

I read until here:
"Still a jerk, eh Robert?"
This is not for me....

Now, I understand your referencing old Shonen and Sentai, but well, neither of those are things I'm personally particularly nostalgic about. So to me, this is just kinda cringey.
It isn't poorly written, but I'm not really interested in this hammed up artificial (I hope) American highschool drama. Doesn't mean it's bad just not for me. So I'm afraid you get a short review too.

One was a man with an elderly man with wrinkles on his face.
Hrrrm..... wrinkly man-ception

Overall, it's not bad, just very far out of my orbit. Keep it up though, I approve all campy fun on principle.

I have a lot of time! I shall give so much feedback!

Or maybe not.... Ok, so I don't love systems... And I don't love sports.... I am not your target audience. I would not of made it through your summary.

But! I did of course read the first chapter anyways.

And we'll.... I still don't have much feedback. It's well written, the MC is relatable enough, understandable that he'd be as bitter as he is if he felt he lost out on the life he wanted because of injuries, and dying by accidental overdose is the kind of dumb mistake people make all the time.

What I liked:
  • Characterisation, I really liked how you introduce the character, the way he tries and failes to throw a bottle while stumbling home drunk immediately let's me know he's permanently injured, doesn't love life (presumably drinking alone) and wishes to recapture past glory.
  • Description, I had a very good mental image of what was going on.
  • Writing, if there were any mistakes, I didn't see them.
What I didn't like:
  • Baseball

Overall, very competent, just not what this single reader is after. Keep it up! Have fun!

Done!
Whelp, that was a long ride. Only took me like... 7 hours... Hope you found my input at least a little helpful!
Everyone is going to have a great time scrolling past this to get to the bottom of the page! Ha! Suckers!

The ol' backlog is finally empty, awaiting new submissions!
Glad you liked my story. Sometimes less feedback is more lol. The romance is pretty major in the story but you might still enjoy it considering what else happens. Do let me know what you think if you do read more. :)

CrimsonGenius

Riding the Thunder
I do. I do want a read.

I read until here:
"Still a jerk, eh Robert?"
This is not for me....

Now, I understand your referencing old Shonen and Sentai, but well, neither of those are things I'm personally particularly nostalgic about. So to me, this is just kinda cringey.
It isn't poorly written, but I'm not really interested in this hammed up artificial (I hope) American highschool drama. Doesn't mean it's bad just not for me. So I'm afraid you get a short review too.

One was a man with an elderly man with wrinkles on his face.
Hrrrm..... wrinkly man-ception

Overall, it's not bad, just very far out of my orbit. Keep it up though, I approve all campy fun on principle.
Okay, thanks.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast

It's a slow burn at the start and keep in mind that I've improved a lot since I first started. I plan to rewrite this eventually and having some feedback on the first few chapters will help with that.

LeeroyCGNA

I have a lot of time! I shall give so much feedback!

Or maybe not.... Ok, so I don't love systems... And I don't love sports.... I am not your target audience. I would not of made it through your summary.

But! I did of course read the first chapter anyways.

And we'll.... I still don't have much feedback. It's well written, the MC is relatable enough, understandable that he'd be as bitter as he is if he felt he lost out on the life he wanted because of injuries, and dying by accidental overdose is the kind of dumb mistake people make all the time.

What I liked:
  • Characterisation, I really liked how you introduce the character, the way he tries and failes to throw a bottle while stumbling home drunk immediately let's me know he's permanently injured, doesn't love life (presumably drinking alone) and wishes to recapture past glory.
  • Description, I had a very good mental image of what was going on.
  • Writing, if there were any mistakes, I didn't see them.
What I didn't like:
  • Baseball

Overall, very competent, just not what this single reader is after. Keep it up! Have fun!

Thanks for taking the time to read the first chapter.

My book is mostly a slice-of-life, with baseball being a small part of it. I don't think I actually write about a game until my 19th chapter, while everything revolves around Ken and his family in the meantime.

Either way, thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for this. Here's it is The Weaver - A Dark LitRPG Fantasy. I've also released it on Royal Road. It is a web novel in that I'm writing and releasing chapters until such a time as it becomes a book. Only two chapters out at the moment with a new one released every Friday.
Do you put the reviews on the novel page?

Really hope you enjoy it.

OatMush

up to no good
I really appreciate your time and your review and I'm really glad you knew your limit and didn't read past what you were comfortable. Luna's story is not my life story, but mirrors mine and others close to me in several ways. I'm happy to report that I am years clean of self-harm and am writing Luna's story to hopefully inspire and help others affected by self harm and similar trauma.

On a less serious note, I do have another story that if you would like to, you are more then welcome to take a look at. Don't feel pressured to and feel free to skip it, I've gotten my review from you for my first Luna Samuels story (My main project) and am quite happy with it.

I sat down and tried to write an amalgamation of almost every popular genre on popular romance novel sites like Inkitt/Wattpad/Etc. It contains vampire-esque creatures (FMC), ceo/billionaire MMC, gang activity, Badboy/Badgirl and is just generally a gory romp through every trope I could possibly shove in a 'book' and still make it semi-readable. Think Repo the Genetic Opera meets Lifetime movies. It's only a chapter so far, and contains some serious blood and gore, so reader beware.

Huzzah! Round two!

Before I read, I think I should say that I don't think any of the genres you've mentioned are genres I've ever read a single book in... So I may not be the best to review this one! However! Half the fun of making these reviews is reading things I normally wouldn't! So I will do my best to give meaningful feedback!

Let us begin!

Ok! I've read the whole (and only) chapter. It's pretty good, I like monsters, I like gore, and I'm partial to sexy vampires. The writing seems pretty good overall, it's easy to understand and visualise what's happening.
So without more to read there isn't much I can say—there are no glaring issues beyond a few minor mistakes.

casting a sliver, ethereal glow around the room.
I assume you mean silver?

An elongated jaw filled with rows on needle-like teeth
Of?

Overall, pretty good. I've tentatively added to reading list and given 5*, bare in mind these aren't genres I'm particularly interested in, so you may well lose me once they become a factor, but so far so good! Keep it up!

It's a slow burn at the start and keep in mind that I've improved a lot since I first started. I plan to rewrite this eventually and having some feedback on the first few chapters will help with that.
Ok! Bare in mind this is (mostly) a first impressions thread! I will read and review as if I clicked in off the homepage, but I will do my best to give feedback!

Ok, read till chapter 2. It's good, 5* and added to reading list!

Well you definitely have the most popular story I've reviewed so far! I'm a little curious why you're interested in little ol' OatMush's opinion when you have so much feedback from real fans! Regardless, this doesn't actually change my procedure.

What I liked:
  • Your prologue, I've read a million like it, but it still managed to stand out. I like the description of the stars (?) winking in and out of existence, and the idea of an ancient soul watching eons go by while they slowly forget and go to sleep. I also liked the idea of gods doing soul archaeology.
  • World building, the foxgirl archipelago is a good mix of familiar and whimsical.
  • Description, it was fairly easy to picture what was happening, and I always understood what was happening.

What I didn't so much:
  • I’m betting on Ley Lines, which means we’re near a place of power. It felt a bit odd the character understood this, at least from the description of the sky I didn't get a ley line impression, but it's not really a plot hole or anything. I had a similar issue with the MC learning magic, it felt like they had very convenient insight and knowledge, not really an issue, but it took me out of the story.
  • The system, but this is 90% personal preference, they're just not my favourite, but obviously I don't represent the majority here and I enjoy plenty of stories with systems anyway.
Overall, not much to say. It's pretty good, it's not a story that wows me, from what I've read nothing stood out as hugely unique, but everything was very competent, and I'm interested to keep reading. I will say that it's amongst the few I've reviewed so far that I had to pull myself away from to write this, so you're obviously doing something very right! Keep it up! Have fun!

Thanks for this. Here's it is The Weaver - A Dark LitRPG Fantasy. I've also released it on Royal Road. It is a web novel in that I'm writing and releasing chapters until such a time as it becomes a book. Only two chapters out at the moment with a new one released every Friday.
Do you put the reviews on the novel page?

Really hope you enjoy it.
Hello hello! Welcome to SHF! Is it strange I always get a weird ego boost when someone's first post is in my thread? Like yes, come straight into the warm embrace of Mush!

That nonsense done, would you like me to repost this as a review on your stories page? I haven't read it yet as of writing this, so I don't know what my opinion will be, but if you like I'm happy to copy paste the meat of the review there (with some reformatting of course). I'm not sure I'd recommend it though, this thread is about first impressions mostly and are more designed for your benefit rather than for the sake of potential readers (that and for my own purposes). That being said, I will do it if you want.

Lettuce begin!

Ok! Read both chapters! It's pretty good, 5* and added to reading list! I would however say that I think a few paragraphs need reworking in the first chapter. For example:

Peter reached the closest table and began his well practiced routine of sitting down: turn his back to the chair, prop one hand on the back of the chair so it doesn't escape while holding firmly on to the left crutch; squat down slowly, putting all weight on to his right leg and while keeping his rotten excuse of a left leg extended; hope his backside doesn't fail this mission and end up on the floor.
I had to restart this paragraph halfway through to understand it. I like the intent behind it, you show that:
1) he can't move well, such that sitting down is a real effort and
2) he's been injured long enough that it's routine.
However, it didn't read well to me. You use semicolons like commas, when to me they mean the following statement is in support to the first. I personally think you could just replace those with commas. But I don't actually know much about English grammar, so I could be wrong. Even replaced with commas, I would still probably find the sequence of events confusing. Specifically I thought he sat down, then started doing the other stuff, so I had to restart when I realised my mistake.

...know all about how I feel about becoming an invalid."
"Probably gonna prescribe some of that silly meditation or some weird breathing exercises. I'm so damn tired..." He sighed.

Misunderstood who was speaking. Thought it was Stevie's turn until the last two sentences, so I had to reread.

Other than that I didn't notice anything off, but I was taken out of the story a few times. By the second chapter you seem to have found your groove, and I didn't notice anything.
The first chapter was very relatable, a few years back I had a cat only two years younger than me die while I was getting over a bad breakup, and the way the MC felt was quite relatable. I also enjoyed his interactions with his friends, felt pretty real.
What I didn't like so much was the MC, I don't really love reading about bitter characters, but that's subjective.

Overall it's pretty solid, good luck! Have fun!

Last edited:
Hello hello! Welcome to SHF! Is it strange I always get a weird ego boost when someone's first post is in my thread? Like yes, come straight into the warm embrace of Mush!

That nonsense done, would you like me to repost this as a review on your stories page? I haven't read it yet as of writing this, so I don't know what my opinion will be, but if you like I'm happy to copy paste the meat of the review there (with some reformatting of course). I'm not sure I'd recommend it though, this thread is about first impressions mostly and are more designed for your benefit rather than for the sake of potential readers (that and for my own purposes). That being said, I will do it if you want.

Lettuce begin!

Ok! Read both chapters! It's pretty good, 5* and added to reading list! I would however say that I think a few paragraphs need reworking in the first chapter. For example:

Peter reached the closest table and began his well practiced routine of sitting down: turn his back to the chair, prop one hand on the back of the chair so it doesn't escape while holding firmly on to the left crutch; squat down slowly, putting all weight on to his right leg and while keeping his rotten excuse of a left leg extended; hope his backside doesn't fail this mission and end up on the floor.
I had to restart this paragraph halfway through to understand it. I like the intent behind it, you show that:
1) he can't move well, such that sitting down is a real effort and
2) he's been injured long enough that it's routine.
However, it didn't read well to me. You use semicolons like commas, when to me they mean the following statement is in support to the first. I personally think you could just replace those with commas. But I don't actually know much about English grammar, so I could be wrong. Even replaced with commas, I would still probably find the sequence of events confusing. Specifically I thought he sat down, then started doing the other stuff, so I had to restart when I realised my mistake.

...know all about how I feel about becoming an invalid."
"Probably gonna prescribe some of that silly meditation or some weird breathing exercises. I'm so damn tired..." He sighed.

Misunderstood who was speaking. Thought it was Stevie's turn until the last two sentences, so I had to reread.

Other than that I didn't notice anything off, but I was taken out of the story a few times. By the second chapter you seem to have found your groove, and I didn't notice anything.
The first chapter was very relatable, a few years back I had a cat only two years younger than me die while I was getting over a bad breakup, and the way the MC felt was quite relatable. I also enjoyed his interactions with his friends, felt pretty real.
What I didn't like so much was the MC, I don't really love reading about bitter characters, but that's subjective.

Overall it's pretty solid, good luck! Have fun!
Glad to give you my first time.

Thanks for giving my series a go, for the review and for the add.

Seems like cheating agreeing to you posting the review in the story page after the fact, but I swear I was going to agree with it either way. I was looking for some honest feedback given on the page so people could see whether it was worth their time. I was even going to be cheeky and see if it could be pasted to Royal Road too???? Too much? :P

You made good point. I fixed the first paragraph you mentioned:
Peter reached the closest table and began his well practiced process of sitting down: Turn his back to the chair, propping one hand on the back of the chair so it doesn't escape while holding firmly on to the left crutch. Squat down slowly, putting all weight on to his right leg and while keeping his rotten excuse of a left leg extended. Hope his backside doesn't fail this mission and end up on the floor.
I realise I'm committing a grammatical crime by swapping tense, but I hope the colon along with the italic make up for it. It just loses something if I make it all past tense:
Peter reached the closest table and began his well-practiced process of sitting down. He turned his back to the chair, propped one hand on the back of the chair so it didn't escape while holding firmly onto the left crutch. He squatted down slowly, putting all weight onto his right leg and while keeping his rotten excuse for a left leg extended. He hoped his backside wouldn't fail this mission and end up on the floor.

It turns out I had already fixed the second issue you pointed out, but hadn't done it on the website. Basically, made it so it wasn't a separate line.

Yeah, the MC has some developing to do.

Sorry to hear about your cat. Sounds like it lived a long life, assuming you weren't too young when that break up happened.

Thanks again for your time.

Comiak

Foxgirl enthusiast
The system, but this is 90% personal preference, they're just not my favourite, but obviously I don't represent the majority here and I enjoy plenty of stories with systems anyway
Thanks for the feedback. You'll probably find more nitpicks as you read more but also the story will develop it's own personality. I'm just looking for feed back for my eventual rewrite and not everyone explains their nitpicks.

This point is something I plan on cutting back massively in the rewrite. The stats I just straight up stop using after a while. Really the only thing I plan to keep are skills as that's a huge part, the bond which will not have levels in the rewrite and work slightly like cultivation in a way. One class that has to be earned and the race system.

The system actually has a good explanation for why it exists naturally and not just because of Gods. Simply put: divinity, ultimate authority, (which is inherent to all life) mixes with magic, ultimate chaos and power, to form magic framework that allows magic to be controlled, forming skills and classes.

Lysander_Works

Not sure what to expect, but I'll give it a try.
I can probably save some time by admitting that the pacing of this story starts off slower than most. That said, it isn't as difficult in this story to jump to any random later chapter and see something interesting unfold.
Let me know if you want to review it or not, and do have fun ~ that is the ultimate goal of reader/writer.

cosmicslime

There are a lot of stories on this website and standing out among them is hard. When someone does click on your story most of the time they'll stop reading after the first few chapters or even after only the blurb. I will give your story a go and tell you when and why I stopped reading.
I'm not an experienced author so don't expect any technical explanations of what you've done wrong. I can only tell you about my subjective experience reading your novel and I'm opinionated. Many stories I've read are perfectly fine just too similar to something else I've read or not in a genre I like, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, I'm probably not your target audience.
I'll give everything submitted a go with no limits on content. I can pm if you want to be anonymous or else I'll post my review here.
I'll update the title when I've had enough. Until then, Keep Them Coming!
Edit: I also really enjoy reviewing, so if you're on the fence about submitting your story, do it!
Edit 2: I'm on mobile and can't see signatures, if you would be so kind to post a link to your story, that'd be appreciated.
Hello. Can you try mine. Kinshura – The Impure Victor | Scribble Hub

Gunshot_god

I accept all here! Sorry for the wait! Fair warning, xianxia isn't my favourite genre so I'm not your target audience!

I read the whole first chapter. This is another story where I have to wonder if English is your first language? I'm not sure if the grammar is incorrect, but at least to me, it sounds very strange. I've noticed this with a lot of xianxia, the prose almost reads more like a proverb than a novel. Maybe this is purposeful, but it reads to me like a bad translation, with odd word order and choice. You'll need the opinion of someone who actually likes xianxia, but I personally don't like this way of writing. I've picked out a few lines as example.

They appeared like made of compound resin or like a translucent plastic sheet.
This reads very strangely to me, you'll need someone better at English than me to tell you if it's actually incorrect, but it doesn't read right to me. Maybe something like "They looked as if made of compound resin, like sheets of translucent plastic." This still isn't great, but seems better to me.

And she sacrificed her life to bring down one of the world's most horrible terrorists down with her.
Redundant 'down', I think you can skip the first use.

as*hole
We swear like men here! Also you seem to have asterisk all over the text (he*, leaf*, Meng Po*), I'm not sure if you're using them correctly, usually they mark a footnote, which you don't have.

The kid surrounded by green flame flustered and ran away leaving a 'who is your Lil bro lady?'sentence in air.
Huh? Does this sound right to you?
Also since when was the kid surrounded by green fire? I feel like your missing a lot of description.

The story and setting itself seems interesting enough, I like the MC being a rough and tough kinda gal, and the soul bead seems an interesting plot device.

Overall, I wouldn't of read your story to begin with because it's xianxia, but I stopped reading where I did because of the odd prose. But! The story has only just began, and I think it's fixable with a little rewording! Keep writing! Have fun!
Thanks for the feedback @OatMush . And yes, English is not my first language. Its my third language. I am constantly trying to improve my language though.
After reading your feedback, i realized i should have better word choices for the better enjoyment of the story.
For example,

They appeared like made of compound resin or like a translucent plastic sheet.

If i cut the 'like' in one place, i can make it a little bit better.

They appeared like made of compound resin or a translucent plastic sheet.

For the fourth one, about the green flame, i added it in one sentence because it is a common conception about ghosts that they are surrounded by green flame. So i mentioned it presumably to sketch a vague outline of the kid. To make that character a little more memorable.

Thanks for your precious time. I really appreciate this help. 😊😊

SnowLabrador

I would love feedback on "The Promised Underland." It's one of the stories linked in my signature. If that's okay, of course.