litrpg tips from someone who hates litrg (unhinged rambling)

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
A character needs to struggle. If they don’t then your story is uninteresting. Often see someone struggle for the first few chapters and never have any issues ever again until they become a power that no one can compare to. If your character powers up but the threats stay the same your story will be boring and predictable.

You don’t need to show a giant excel spreadsheet for every little stat change. If you want to then include at the bottom of the chapter so it doesn’t mess up pacing.

Character choice shouldn’t just matter, but should be difficult. Choices shouldn‘t be picking between S Rank Swordsmanship or S Rank Alchemy. Make it engaging like mc can level up swordsmanship to save the city from being destroyed, but if he does he can’t use alchemy to cure his mother’s rare illness. The best stories have the characters make decisions that even the reader would struggle to make. You want to face the characters with a choice in which every option is equal awful.

Not sure if any of you have played D&D. I did very briefly (not really my thing) but there is two leveling methods, one where you get exp from killing monsters, and milestone leveling, where characters level up after progressing through a certain story event or encounter. Not saying to get rid of exp, because I know litrpg authors never will, but power gained should be more related story progression, than having a character sitting in a field killing wolves for hours of off screen time between chapters.

Dungeons are cliche. Most common troupe is that dungeons are a coalescence of evil mana or something that takes the form a cave or building full of monsters. Often times with little else in way of explanation. If you’ve played any mmo (thats not Korean) you’ll encounter dungeons, but dungeons in them aren’t just a convenient cave shaped loot piñata. Dungeons are actually related to the story. You don’t go to the Deadmines to kill Edwin Vancleef and take his sword and red bandana, you go the deadmines to kill vancleef because he made a giant dreadnought filled with cannons to level Stormwind City to the ground (and take his sword).

The rest are personal preference, but because my opinions are the correct ones you can just take it as fact.

Flash forwards are lame. Especially if you foreshadow some horrible event, or give a glimpse at the characters in despair, only the next few chapters to reveal or be a giant nothing burger with no actual consequence than you are a bad author and should feel bad.

Predestination stories where characters class is determined from the moment they are born are bad. Also if the weakest skill is actually the strongest it’s not the weakest skill, and if a character is a low level but has high stats you’re pigeon holing yourself into a beaten horse of a cliche that makes your story more predictable then the outcome a Toronto Maple Leafs game after I take a prybar to the legs of every offense man.

Limiting character agency is a good thing, but agency shouldn’t be massively limited by the rules of the universe. Falls into why predestination stories suck so much. I don’t want a character to be prevented from achieving goals by either a cosmic force or some god, that’s not fun to read. Those stories are like if I was prevented from going to business school because the weak atomic force said so.

Wrote this while waiting for someone to get out of the 1 shower in my building with water pressure that isn’t comparable to what you’d find in a Siberian gulag. I took all my unhinged anger and just funneled it towards litrpg fans.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I get the gist of what you're saying, but I find it reductionist, deconstructionist, and mistargeted.

What you're essentially saying is that bad story telling exists in litrpg, and are implying that it is more prevalent than other genres.

I would make the counterpoint that many of your gripes are what others enjoy about the genre, and within any genre there are plenty of tropes that are "overused", and people who simply don't enjoy the genre. That's ok.

Good storytellers will tell good stories, and bad ones won't.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Wrote this while waiting for someone to get out of the 1 shower in my building with water pressure that isn’t comparable to what you’d find in a Siberian gulag. I took all my unhinged anger and just funneled it towards litrpg fans.
If that happen often you might want to write a story with how much words you put in that time.

Mortrexo

You represent less than 1% of readers. Picky opinions that, nowadays, the general audience doesn't share. If not, OP Harem novels wouldn't be topping almost every rating on reader platforms. If not, anime wouldn't be about super OP people who don't struggle (for the most part).
While I agree with your views, if an author were to follow your advice, they would end up with a mediocre novel that would never be able to bloom and become something bigger.

Sincerely,
An author.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
You represent less than 1% of readers. Picky opinions that, nowadays, the general audience doesn't share. If not, OP Harem novels wouldn't be topping almost every rating on reader platforms. If not, anime wouldn't be about super OP people who don't struggle (for the most part).
While I agree with your views, if an author were to follow your advice, they would end up with a mediocre novel that would never be able to bloom and become something bigger.

Sincerely,
An author.

Bad litrpg may be good for internet views, but it will never be anything more than that. At least not if you’re writing in English. Litrpg power fantasy trend chasing doesn’t let the author aspire to be anything higher. It’s fine for people who don’t desire any form of legitimacy

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Bad litrpg may be good for internet views, but it will never be anything more than that. At least not if you’re writing in English. Litrpg power fantasy trend chasing doesn’t let the author aspire to be anything higher. It’s fine for people who don’t desire any form of legitimacy
Big talk for someone with so few readers.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I'm sick of struggle. Why does everything have to be a life or death conflict? Failing that, why do relationships and jobs have to be horrific slogs of an uphill battle? Some things don't have to be difficult. I don't want to read a story where the MC has to choose between his sick mother and a city of innocent people. That choice is boring to me. If I wanted that, I'd give up on fiction and stick to real life. At least then my misery would 'feel earned' (Sorry, that's a joke).

It's really funny, because the reason I usually avoid LitRPG is because it does all the things people hate it for supposedly not doing.
  • There's a constant struggle for more power, more levels, more skills and abilities. You can say that struggle is meaningless, but I'd argue that all struggle is meaningless.
  • You're constantly being forced to choose between classes or evolutions or skills or stats, when it would be more reasonable to be able to do everything or respec as convenient. Where's my damn second character slot?!
  • The genre is built on the concept of 'earning your reward', when irl, nothing is earned. You can spend your whole life doing back breaking labor, and come out of it old, crippled and hopeless. I do like the idea that working hard will give you a reward, but I'd prefer that everyone just get what they want no questions asked. It feels like making a dog jump through hoops just to get a treat.
  • Dungeons are weird though. Conceptually, I see them as a sandbox game, with a protagonist and antagonists. It's weird. I like a dungeon that makes me want to be the DM. That's all.
The rest I don't particularly care about. My mini-rant is over now.

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
Let me rant too.

I've come to hate LitRPG coz I feel the characters aren't human with all the numbers and limited game-like rules catered for MCs OP needs (and also, the unimaginative tropes that I can skip a lot of early chapters and still understand the story). But that's just a personal opinion, so write what you want and enjoy.

Rant over.

Yule

Snowdrop
There are so many things wrong with this thread, and I initially laughed because I thought this whole rant was a joke, but now I see that it really isn't. There are about 5 things wrong with this one reply alone.

1. "Bad" LitRPG is subjective, and you have no authority to define what's bad for others.
2. Never be anything more than that? You're contradicting yourself. Internet views already amount to more than just internet views, they can translate to monetization, publicity, exposure, controversy, hell it's the internet, lots of things could happen.
3. Who are you to define what English can and can't do? Did you conquer the States, Canada, Britain, India, and every other English reader on the planet besides?
4. "Litrpg power fantasy trend chasing" doesn't let the author aspire to be anything higher? Since when did it have this level of psychotic control over an author? Even generations of torture and genocide can't do what you're claiming this trend-chasing does, you're describing realms of literal magic if a field of writing can so severely limit a person.
5. For people who don't desire any form of legitimacy, ANYTHING is fine, it's not just what you're describing. And because everything you said beforehand is subjective, it doesn't even apply here 100%.

LitRPG isn't my cup of tea either, and I talk about it with my friends. We try to break down some reasons and address what we can to improve. But what you wrote here isn't criticism, what you wrote here is a garbage-level analysis of others' works based on unsolicited opinions.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
You clearly haven't been reading the right LitRPG.
8ixf8s.jpg