You just caused a death. How do you feel?

How would you feel?

• Total voters

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
Bad cause suicide is sad in general and makes me feel bad. And while I would logically understand that it wasn't my fault, I'd probably, in some part, feel guilty.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Horny.
I'll have a serious reply once I get home from Chemistry test

themselves in this hypothetical...
writing prompts
Plot twist
I didn't do it I was framed
it was the one-armed man!

Yule

Snowdrop
I think there's a spectrum between criticizing someone's work and criticizing someone doing the work. In my view, there are differences between "I think this book is horrible and here's why" vs "This book is horrible" vs "Your work is horrible" vs "You're horrible."

A writer might have trouble differentiating these and I really can't control for that, hence why I try not to leave messages like this in the first place. But maybe someday I'll get drunk and mistakenly leave a message like this, the chance isn't zero. And I'll feel horrible about it. Of all people, a writer should know the impact words can have on others.

Hanne

dont go to royal road guys, people there is so harsh it feels like they really want you to kill yourself over their comment/review
"Oh? a novel i didnt like? okay, I will go out of my way to write a 2000 word review about how bad it was and how the author should do a rewrite and change everything right now! I simply cannot tolerate the thought of a novel i dont like existing in the same plane of reality as me!"
sadly I can confirm, there are several:

"This will be better with a rewrite",
"I'll put 1 star unless you change this",
and if you rewrite,
"Suffering from rewrites." :blob_shock:

imagine saying that to a 10k average reader per chapter story :blob_hmm:

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Some people write to escape, and can get very sensitive about things they thought was good but reality not (I mean, don't 90% if not every author have this problem). In my lowest point I deleted a one month of daily writing just because someone told me "the characters are forgettable"

Some people are just in their low points, and you can either help or do bad.

You can help with the environment and overpopulation.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
No reasonable person would off themselves after reading a mean internet comment. The commenter can only assume a reasonable response, anything outside of that reason could not be accounted for and is not the commenter's fault.

Katsurandom

If one of my comments has that much power, maybe I should write more....

Now seriously, while I know some authors are more.... fragile.... I Wouldn't be posting stuff that is harsh enough to make someone do that.

If you think your comment is harsh enough, then maybe...don't?

If you don't like something, stop reading and move along to the next one. The hell are you still doing there ?

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
Because of a very harsh comment in a novel, the creator took their own life after reading it.

How would you feel about it?
For me, this is reality, though it's more on the "I don't care" side of my teaching career than commenting bad on a work. A student and close friend of mine committed suicide, and I didn't do anything despite seeing the signs.

I felt bad, as in it's one of my traumas, so I try to lessen the guilt by helping my students avoid suicide.

As for the comments on novels? Nah. I avoid sites where my work is not appreciated, and I try to give respectful comments on people ASKING them.

laccoff_mawning

If I thought the comment I made was accurate and honest, I don't think I would feel that bad. It's tragic, sure, but that's it. If the comment I made was innaccurate and distasteful, then I would definitely feel bad.