How to get a novel cover art for free

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
I do free stuff to help fellow authors, provided I got time for it. Nowadays though, I can't prioritize illustrations coz of school paperworks.

dalevmcfarlane

I've been wondering how most authors get the cover art for their novels for free. I'm not too far into the novel I've started trying to take it more seriously so I don't want to spend any of the little clams (money) I got. I'm fine with ai or anything like that, any help is appreciated
I use pinterest or google to find some pictures if that helps

Akaichi

1- Use public domain images then manipulate them.
2- Use AI.
3- The two options above combined.

lilwriter

I've been wondering how most authors get the cover art for their novels for free. I'm not too far into the novel I've started trying to take it more seriously so I don't want to spend any of the little clams (money) I got. I'm fine with ai or anything like that, any help is appreciated
I used Dream AI for awhile (iphone) but switched to Midjourney because my husband uses it for DnD

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
I can try to whip you something with Midjourney, then write the text in canva over the pic. I can't guarantee that is going to be epic, but I won't ask you for money. I just want to help you, fellow writer!

If you want my help, please send me specifics like hair and eye color of the characters, what sort of scene you want, and the book title and the pen name you want on the cover. =)

(Yes, I am trying to get some good karma, so I won't end up as a tree, which is destined for toilet paper. XD)

I do reserve the right to post it on DeviantArt. You can consider it a shoutout because I will post your blurb under the picture, as well as a link to the story. My followers might check your books out, I have people from the USA and UK too looking at my stuff, not just Germans.

Happy writing!

SurfAngel_1031

That's what I'm hearing from everyone, I'll just need to buckle down and look hard and deep into A.I
It's all about the prompts. It will take like 10 minutes for you to get the gist on how to use it. Both my covers are AI. I have to thank Envy for showing me the AI art generator.

GabrielTenma

I can try to whip you something with Midjourney, then write the text in canva over the pic. I can't guarantee that is going to be epic, but I won't ask you for money. I just want to help you, fellow writer!

If you want my help, please send me specifics like hair and eye color of the characters, what sort of scene you want, and the book title and the pen name you want on the cover. =)

(Yes, I am trying to get some good karma, so I won't end up as a tree, which is destined for toilet paper. XD)

I do reserve the right to post it on DeviantArt. You can consider it a shoutout because I will post your blurb under the picture, as well as a link to the story. My followers might check your books out, I have people from the USA and UK too looking at my stuff, not just Germans.

Happy writing!
Even if it doesn't end up as something epic, I'd be glad to use it as long as it looks good to me!

I won't go too specific as from what I've seen the past few days, AI doesn't like too much (and swords, AI really hates swords for some reason)

If possible I just want a cover with a girl with dark green hair and brown eyes putting her hands over the shoulder of a guy with black hair with blue eyes and a girl who's smaller than her with dark blue hair and red eyes. (In a futuristic background if you can)

(If that's too much just do a picture with the guy alone with a sword on his hip)

The book Title is: The Strongest Basic Swordsman

Pen name: GTenma!

Hopefully, I'm not asking for much, up to you if you want to do it. I don't mind you posting it on DeviantArt (You made it after all)

Good Luck on that good karma quest!
Most people either use AI or steal images from goggle.
Goggle lmao. Someone earlier in this thread make the one I use now, AI carry ig

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
Even if it doesn't end up as something epic, I'd be glad to use it as long as it looks good to me!

I won't go too specific as from what I've seen the past few days, AI doesn't like too much (and swords, AI really hates swords for some reason)

If possible I just want a cover with a girl with dark green hair and brown eyes putting her hands over the shoulder of a guy with black hair with blue eyes and a girl who's smaller than her with dark blue hair and red eyes. (In a futuristic background if you can)

(If that's too much just do a picture with the guy alone with a sword on his hip)

Hopefully, I'm not asking for much, up to you if you want to do it. I don't mind you posting it on DeviantArt (You made it after all)

Ok, so Midjourney got the colors right. Pick which one you want. You will have to write the text yourself because canva cropped the faces of the man and the blue-haired girl. I have never used Photoshop, so I can't help you further. The pictures are resized as per the SH rules.

1:

book cover 1 G.png

2:

book cover 2 G.png

3:

book cover 3 G.png

And here is the prompt, if you would like to learn how to write prompts yourself:

/imagine prompt: Anime style, bright lighting, In this stunning digital art’s piece, there are three people, a girl with dark green hair and brown eyes putting her hands over the shoulder of a man with black hair with blue eyes and a girl who's smaller than her with dark blue hair and red eyes. In a futuristic background. Epic book cover, no text. Digital art. , Artstation, Visual Novel, Light Mode, 2D, Full-HD, Natural Lighting, Diffraction Grading

I will post number 3, found your story, and did the shout-out.

Happy writing, and I hope this was of help to you! And remember: finishing a book means happy people!

Last edited:

Obsoleteness

Happy writing!
Free pictures AND free clout? :blob_salute:

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
I could give it a shot, since you said you don't mind AI. If I'm working for free, I won't be doing anything more than generating it. Just drop a description of what you want, and I'll see what I can come up with. For examples, take a look at my book covers (a few examples in my sig here on the forum). though do note that I've used my drawing tablet to fix and alter each of them (I can match art styles, but I can't create new art). so yours may not look identical in style.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Ok, so Midjourney got the colors right. Pick which one you want. You will have to write the text yourself because canva cropped the faces of the man and the blue-haired girl. I have never used Photoshop, so I can't help you further. The pictures are resized as per the SH rules.

1:

View attachment 26644

2:

View attachment 26645

3:

View attachment 26646

And here is the prompt, if you would like to learn how to write prompts yourself:

/imagine prompt: Anime style, bright lighting, In this stunning digital art’s piece, there are three people, a girl with dark green hair and brown eyes putting her hands over the shoulder of a man with black hair with blue eyes and a girl who's smaller than her with dark blue hair and red eyes. In a futuristic background. Epic book cover, no text. Digital art. , Artstation, Visual Novel, Light Mode, 2D, Full-HD, Natural Lighting, Diffraction Grading

Happy writing, and I hope this was of help to you! And remember: finishing a book means happy people!
If that can help you and @GabrielTenma When it come to anime image, you should use Nijijourney version instead of midjourney, in the setting the v5 are fine, don't forget to have the remix mode and High Variation mode activate do let you made variation or change a targeted area in the image you generate (for exemple the weird hands you get on those images). Also you can play with the stylize level to get a style/quality you prefer.
You can also use existing image url in the prompt to set a art style you like, pose, or even chara design.

Note that using this much of prompts are wrong in a way since it's too much for the AI to follow, the prompts at the beginning are given priorities over the rest of it, at the end of the prompts you can add negative prompts too that can help, like if you don't want humans you add --no human (you can change it by whatever you want, like text for exemple if some appear, you select the text area with the Vary (Region) option and write a prompt with --no text in it)

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
Draw it yourself, or get lucky and have someone offer to draw one for you for free.
1000008646.jpg

A pencil and paper are free. It may not look pretty, but they're free.

GabrielTenma

1:

View attachment 26644

2:

View attachment 26645

3:

View attachment 26646

They look great but it really doesn't match the vibe of my story tbh. Thanks for trying to help me out though. (I'll just keep what I have for now
Draw it yourself, or get lucky and have someone offer to draw one for you for free.
View attachment 26733
A pencil and paper are free. It may not look pretty, but they're free.
Lol, maybe for my next story, I'll just draw a stickman and hope it gets readers

Notadate

Wow, okay, Nm, my perfectly good pixel art isn’t good enough for you *turns away crying* not like I wanted you to use it
no. ima prove a point. somehow
View attachment 26067i did
(saw the thread, but since yya' offline, I cant get my joke. here, I made this in like uuuuuuuh dont ask)
Someone will love you my boy. Someone will

GabrielTenma

I could give it a shot, since you said you don't mind AI. If I'm working for free, I won't be doing anything more than generating it. Just drop a description of what you want, and I'll see what I can come up with. For examples, take a look at my book covers (a few examples in my sig here on the forum). though do note that I've used my drawing tablet to fix and alter each of them (I can match art styles, but I can't create new art). so yours may not look identical in style.
Thanks for the offer to help but I'm just going to keep what I have right now.
Wow, okay, Nm, my perfectly good pixel art isn’t good enough for you *turns away crying* not like I wanted you to use it

Someone will love you my boy. Someone will
The pixel art is good! It doesn't match with what I'm going for but I'll find a use for it somehow!

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds

I don't have nijijourney in this period so I can't really make good one with variation, but I've got some with a free ai if you wanna take a look at them: