Y/N in stories on here

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
Just curious if SH allows stories with Y/N as the MC. I don't usually write 2nd (and I've never written a Y/N story), but I'm doing a "Choose your adventure" story via polls at the end of each chapter. Chapter 1 will be going live this saturday. That said, I want the MC to be faceless, to allow each individual reader to input themselves into it.

With this in mind, I'm doing a changeling that remains undescribed (unless it is plot/scene relevant, such as genitalia for a smut scene).

Considering these things, I also want to avoid blatant naming. So... Are Y/N stories allowed here? I've posted on a site before that didn't but I can't remember if it was this one or another. or should I give it a genderless name (something like Clarity or Unity or Serenity)?

John_Owl

It would be amazing if we could have twine stories hosted here. I don't think that the website supports CYOA type flowcharts.

There are other websites where people host those kinds of things.
I'm doing it by poll options. Not a true Choose your Own, but more of a reader interactive as it's happening. New readers can binge to catch up, then have a say in the most recent chapter (once it's live), but i'm not going to have like, hyperlinks and such to different chapters and... nah, too much work for me at the moment.
Even if some site banned Y/N stories they're basically just a slight variation on "you" stories, as in "second person."
I'm writing it as 2nd person POV. "You become aware in a cave. You're standing over three dead bodies. You presume they're adventurers by their clothing. You see a screen before you. The symbols seem to dance as your mind unravels their meaning. You realize they didn't move, but your understanding of them has changed. They read "Congratulations on reaching level 5! You've aquired the following traits: Sentience, Reading, Speaking, and Semi-Permanence..."

That sort of thing.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
There are no rules against it here. Most places that have that rule have it as a remnant from when Homestuck was coming out and Y/N style trash copycat web stories became the norm for a while. To curb this, the rule was added to a lot of writing sites of the time, most of which no longer exist. The few that do still exist from that era will sometimes have the rule still active because Homestuck just had to ruin it for everyone else!

John_Owl

I appreciate all the responses. As most say relatively the same thing, I'll just comment here. I'm glad to hear it's allowed.
or just pick a nickname or a genderless title like they did in old FMV games, like Stranger, Detective,,,
That was my other option. I think I included it in the original post. I was considering using a neutral name that describes something about it, Like Clarity (given that it is one of the first sentient changlings in this universe), or Serenity (given that it's serene with it's sentience), or something of the like.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
I appreciate all the responses. As most say relatively the same thing, I'll just comment here. I'm glad to hear it's allowed.

That was my other option. I think I included it in the original post. I was considering using a neutral name that describes something about it, Like Clarity (given that it is one of the first sentient changlings in this universe), or Serenity (given that it's serene with it's sentience), or something of the like.
I want to be the last one to say this but they sound girly.