How do i write science fiction!!?

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut

writing_research.jpg

beast_regards

It's simple!
Let's summarize it a few easy to follow steps:
1) You write what you think it's cool.
2) You receive complain that gravity doesn't work this way.
3) You rewrite the story to portray the realistic impact of gravity.
4) You receive a complaint that the protagonist is stupid for obeying this gravity
5) You become depressed.
6) (Optional) You continue writing. Return to point 1.
-Opposing Force
-Blue Shift
-Decay
Blue Shift Opposing Force Quantum Decay. I have all the expansion packs installed. Sadly, it's like playing Paradox Interactive games. Laws of the universe change with each expansion.

Last edited:
Hellooooo civilians of Scribblehub!!

I want to write a sci-fi story but the problem is.... I'm not a science person, I barely passed any of my science class. My knowledge in science is on the basics.

So I'm here asking for help! I've watched many sci-fi series like Voltron, Gundam Iron Blood Orphans, star wars, Pesific Rim, Dune... Bill Nighy the science guy, and many more. They all use all these science wizz words that sound smart and all "sciencey" and very cool!

is there a way for me to like, get a list and meaning of a bunch of cool sci-fi terms that I can use to elevate my storytelling?

i hope this made sense.
You do you thats all really. Do I think it's gonna be any good? Not really.

But write what you want if you find enjoyment in it. Unless of course you expect to get money from this book.
It's simple!
Let's summarize it a few easy to follow steps:
1) You write what you think it's cool.
2) You receive complain that gravity doesn't work this way.
3) You rewrite the story to portray the realistic impact of gravity.
4) You receive a complaint that the protagonist is stupid for obeying this gravity
5) You become depressed.
6) (Optional) You continue writing. Return to point 1.

Blue Shift Opposing Force Quantum Decay. I have all the expansion packs installed. Sadly, it's like playing Paradox Interactive games. Laws of the universe change with each expansion.
Well if it's gonna be a science based novel it's gotta follow the logic behind it. If someone complains about such things than it's not their type of book and they can go read a book about an over powered character defying the heavens and gathering a harem like Pokémon.

beast_regards

Well if it's gonna be a science based novel it's gotta follow the logic behind it. If someone complains about such things than it's not their type of book and they can go read a book about an over powered character defying the heavens and gathering a harem like Pokémon.
If they aren't satisfied, link them to my story so they understand how worse it could be. May contain a small trace of furries.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer

made a graphic to show the different levels of sci-fi (was bored) hopefully helps you figure out what you want to write.

‘The left is based in more in actual scientific concepts and ideas that are integral to the story, the right is stuff that’s not based in scientific concepts and technology, but doesn’t mean it can’t touch on actual scientific ideas like hitch hikers guide and futurama do. I stuck to only using outer space stories because I felt it’d make the line easier to understand.

MajorKerina

made a graphic to show the different levels of sci-fi (was bored) hopefully helps you figure out what you want to write.

‘The left is based in more in actual scientific concepts and ideas that are integral to the story, the right is stuff that’s not based in scientific concepts and technology, but doesn’t mean it can’t touch on actual scientific ideas like hitch hikers guide and futurama do. I stuck to only using outer space stories because I felt it’d make the line easier to understand.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I guess I'm late to this.
Science fiction involves writing a lot of explanations for how something works.
You need to use the 'scientific' idea and expand on it with fictional premises. Such as harnessing the energy of quarks and then take it to a certain question of what humans do with that new energy/ability.

Themes in science fiction are often about where humans have gone, how far they are going, or even the politics around said technology. The key is that it has to be about the society, the technology of that society and how people live in that reality.

I guess I'm late to this.
Science fiction involves writing a lot of explanations for how something works.
You need to use the 'scientific' idea and expand on it with fictional premises. Such as harnessing the energy of quarks and then take it to a certain question of what humans do with that new energy/ability.

Themes in science fiction are often about where humans have gone, how far they are going, or even the politics around said technology. The key is that it has to be about the society, the technology of that society and how people live in that reality.
Very true and even sometimes you gotta make hypothesis based on real world science and expand upon them in the world setting so that it makes plausible sense in science fiction. Even more so if you throw in theories. Doing so will tickle the feel good part of the brain for readers who love science fiction.

Succubiome

Is there any reason you wanna do cool sciency things specifically rather than cool magicy things or whatever?

I know science isn't your strong suit, but is there any area of science you do know a good deal about?