When character relationships go too far.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Screenshot (11).png

I still have 100 more characters to go through. I probably should have thought more about structure when starting. Who knew trying to organize my story and characters would make it look even more messy?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
View attachment 27853
I still have 100 more characters to go through. I probably should have thought more about structure when starting. Who knew trying to organize my story and characters would make it look even more messy?
What site do you use because I probably need to do this with my characters too. Also, it looks like a magic circle is being formed.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
First time, huh?
Let me introduce you to my family, then.
That is indeed a simple Russian family
What site do you use because I probably need to do this with my characters too. Also, it looks like a magic circle is being formed.
I'm using Lore Forge. It's kind of like War Anvil, but a lot more simplified.

TotallyHuman

View attachment 27853
I think a spreadsheet table would work better for your needs
You could also color the cells that state a P-P relationship for easier understanding. Like a gradient from deep blue for deeply antagonistic feelings towards a deep red for very friendly
something like
AB
Axwork subordinate/online writer(doesn't know alter ego)
Bboss from work/online reader(knows alter ego)x
for A hates B whom she sees as her annoying boss from work, while B loves A, who writes his favourite online novel.
That will be a lot easier to navigate and quicker to search and read.
There are also various operations you can perform on table data in software like MS Excel (or the indubitably far more based Libre Office Calc) that will let you get subsets for specific scenes, like if you have a hundred characters overall, but 6 in a scene, you could subset the table to only show these 6 (maybe with the color codes too, not sure), and then it will be easier for you to see how they relate to each other.
Or other cool things like show all friends and enemies of character A, show a barplot of what kinds of relationships A has (ie more friends, enemies or in-between) etc etc depending on how you codify this kind of status
As the story progresses, it is trivial to open a new page on your spreadsheet, copy&update the relationships and then work with the progress and monitor it etc etc
As for this graph? Like what's the point? I'd understand if it would clear things up visually (it doesn't), had character art instead of nodes(it doesn't), was intuitively simple to navigate (it isn't) or just cleared things up somehow (it doesn't) but all it does is show that you've wasted your time.

TLDR; SPREADSHEET SUPERIOR

Last edited:

Notadate

See here class *slams pointer stick* this is how a author accidentally summoned a FRIENDSHIP demon.

*tucks pointer stick away* This is a bad thing, because that FRIENDSHIP demon did some horrendous Things to said author.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
*snatches pointer stick and shoves it into my ear, bloodying my ear canal*

Yeah, I'll just... keep all that in my head. Configuring relations in a program seems more complicated than utilizing my cognitive memory.

FebyA

Embrace the pantser ways, brother/sister.
Come join the dark side :)