Take over dropped novel?

Hi, Duck here.

Since I wrote my last post about my mentality towards writing, I thought about the whole thing again and figured out where my problem lies.

In advance, whatever I am about to mention, I would never do it without the author's consent.

As I mentioned yesterday, my problem is always at the beginning. I don't know what to do after a few chapters; I think it's no good, etc.

But now I have realized the following: While I'm reading novels, I always come up with an endless number of ideas. I usually see what could be improved, what maybe doesn't fit, etc.

So I'm now wondering what you think about revising a book that has been dropped for various reasons, be it grammar, author's disinterest, or similar, and then continuing to write it.

I do realize that I would be avoiding my own weakness, but life doesn't always have to be a pain in the ass, especially if it's a hobby.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Of course, writing can always be improved. Though, from your perspective, something that needs to be improved can also be intentional. The only way to make something that is great for you is to write it yourself.
If we authors included every idea readers thought of there would be 50 things happening at once. Ideas aren't worth much until you put them into the story.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
So... fan fiction?
I don't get permission. Why should you?

Call it fanfiction. Provide a link. Write it. If yer bored, I got several books you can feel free to fanfiction.

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
while I can't give permission to take over another author's novel, I do have a few dropped stories I started but never got around to finishing. I've got a medieval fantasy novel, i've got an immortal vampire in the modern world (He's survived multiple wars, and dearly misses the few friends he had during those times), and a few others. I'll never get around to writing half of them, so if you'd like, you're welcome to have them.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You're welcome to practice with mine if it interests you. I might still pick it up right where I left off when my kid starts going to school, but you can play with it in the meantime.

Agentt

Thighs
You're welcome to practice with mine if it interests you. I might still pick it up right where I left off when my kid starts going to school, but you can play with it in the meantime.
I still have it in my notes to write that public use sex story for you, one whose setting was a Mesopotamia like society with polygamy who have magic-like healing powers with herbs

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
I started with fanfics as well. It is like learning to ride a bike with safety wheels. That said, you could try to do a plan for the novel before starting it

I am not speaking about a detailed outline. Just a couple of plot points, character desings and the ending will be enough.

Honestly, you are being too hard on yourself. Writing demands practise. Give it about 30 minutes per day, and you will get the hang of it.

My first fanfic was short, but the planning alone took me a month.

Just have fun.

TransCatGirl

I think the trick might be not to have a one off pick up a dropped book but to continually pass it back and forth.
The (assumed) problem with picking up a dropped book is that you'll still run out of ideas.
Passing it back and forth means that when that happens you give the book back and the other writes new ideas about what you wrote, runs out of new ideas and hands it to you again.
This assumes that you can both come up with new ideas as long as the latest idea is not your own.

Tsuru

Robot
But now I have realized the following: While I'm reading novels, I always come up with an endless number of ideas. I usually see what could be improved, what maybe doesn't fit, etc.
OH hey !
Ditto

A fellow cultivator. Skills, trained by the numerous "bad writing chinese novels" in the past.

Asian Greeting GIFs | Tenor

Well.....
Its not illegal to be honest. Probably(?)
Unless it touch a certain topic. Reminds me of a certain SH series continued by someone else. coughLoliPLUSHYBEARscribblehubseriesCOUGH
Both "deleted" (banned?)
So I'm now wondering what you think about revising a book that has been dropped for various reasons, be it grammar, author's disinterest, or similar, and then continuing to write it.
Well i saw 2-3 chinese fanfics where the author "pay hommage" to the end of POKEMON anime.
By writing Ash, be smarter and do correct decisions (like NOT USING PIKACHU AGAINST BROCK / RELEASING OP pokemons x20times).
Hence healing the pain of a whole generation that was pissed off by all the bad decisions of Ash
AND Misty

On AO3, there are also lot of "Konosuba" where Kazuma is SMART or CHAD
To cite a few, you have Kazuma is a talented lawyer-at-home.
or Kazuma stop giving a f (so directly confront Darkness in a tired/uncaring way)
or Kazuma got a decent power for reincarnation
etc

But basically.....yeah do whatever you want.
Its your hobby and its fine.
--------------
Btw if you can, pick this series to continue xD

^Aqua done right

Proof that if certain changes are done, its far better :
aqua (kono subarashii sekai ni shukufuku wo!) drawn by hanasaka_houcha

vs
Aqua/Image Gallery | Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Wiki | Fandom |  Anime expressions, Anime, Kawaii anime

Youjo Senki Vol.1 Light Novel first impressions – bonutzuu

Some characters like Aqua, dont get enough love, bc of how they were portrayed with lot of exaggeration in their own series/anime-adaptation

Last edited: