Friendship writers block

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
It often happens to me too. It depends on various factors. The first is overthinking, being too worried about how what I say will be perceived. Another reason is that sometimes I leave the conversation hanging for too long, and then I feel even more guilty to reply so late.
Then there's always that inner lone wolf demon that wants me to isolate myself in my own world, focusing only on myself.

Praybird

I do this weird thing where I try to imagine what someone else would say. If that doesn't work, I try to imagine what a character might say. Heck, could be a character in my own writing.

And if what they would say seems decent enough, I roll with it. :blob_evil:

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Happens to me all the time. Thank God we have memes to send some without saying anything.

Daitengu

I actually have a hard time getting attached to people, but have a very easy time drifting away.

So for most of my fb posts(since my family is older) I just post PSA type things that are helpful, but neutral.

And example is posting about the rubber in sharkbite hoses corroding away and peeps should replace them.

Pretty sure it's just my introverted self.

Though, when I do write people, it takes me time, because I have to tailor what I say to be understood properly. I lean heavy into internet lingo and definitions usually, so having to express myself in a normies way gets tough sometimes.

Last edited:

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
my bad habit is writing to friends and family like I'm writing my story. I end up including quotes and action tags.

"No, I don't need anything from the store," I say with a weary sigh. <-- Like that.

Succubiome

my bad habit is writing to friends and family like I'm writing my story. I end up including quotes and action tags.

"No, I don't need anything from the store," I say with a weary sigh. <-- Like that.
That sounds like an excellent way to communicate, if and only if your family/friends are down with it-- gets a lot of additional information in that text usually leaves out.
I have writers block, but for friends and family online. I get to the site or text app, I have so much to say, and then… blank. Do you have that or something similar? How does it present?
Like with other writing blocks, I'd suggest trying to just say one sentence, even if it isn't the perfect thing, and see where you go from there. You don't need to say everything at once when conversing. Unless you have a very tense relationship with them, it'll probably be fine.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Yes. A certain 3-year-old likes to say "Mama" every five seconds unless my nipple is in his mouth.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I have writers block, but for friends and family online. I get to the site or text app, I have so much to say, and then… blank. Do you have that or something similar? How does it present?
Wait... you have friends and family that you talk to?
Is this a thing? How long has this been a thing? Having friends? A Family you talk to?
What strange an alien world do you live in?

MidnightFox

A Trickster that loves Puppets
Don't worry about it to much, i wouldn't have asked to write a whole arc with you if i was worried about every small detail even if both of us are complete strangers to each other irl

Last edited:

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
Yes. A certain 3-year-old likes to say "Mama" every five seconds unless my nipple is in his mouth.
3 years? Shouldn't you switch him to soups by now or something? I admit that I know nothing about kids, but a former coworker weaned off her daughter when the kid turned one year old, maybe younger.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
3 years? Shouldn't you switch him to soups by now or something? I admit that I know nothing about kids, but a former coworker weaned off her daughter when the kid turned one year old, maybe younger.
My mom did the same for all 8 of us. Weaned us all at around one year old, maybe younger. K5 surprised me too. Long time. I've seen it where people do it for as much as 4 years though. I'm not sure what is normal and what isn't.

K5Rakitan

My mom did the same for all 8 of us. Weaned us all at around one year old, maybe younger. K5 surprised me too. Long time. I've seen it where people do it for as much as 4 years though. I'm not sure what is normal and what isn't.
WHO recommends two years or longer.

Humans evolved to breastfeed for 5-6 years, but some of our ancestors had more reproductive success weaning earlier because breastfeeding suppresses ovulation in some women. Don't expect breastfeeding to be 100% effective birth control, though. Use condom.

Why wean at one year? It's a cultural choice. In some cultures, breastfeeding to 5 years is completely normal.

Refrigeration and other technologies have allowed us to use the milk of non-humans to sustain our children

Children will typically wean themselves between 2-7 years. Personally, I've found that breastfeeding is the best way to keep the kid still when I'm reading to him. Unlike a pacifier, breastfeeding helps align the teeth and reduces the chance that the kid will need braces later. Breastfeeding, like a pacifier, provides comfort, and comfort is essential to brain development. There are lots of ways to comfort a child, but breastfeeding is a good biological default. I've been keeping track of my kid's brain development with the CDC's milestones list, and the only milestones on the 5-year list I still have to look forward to are the movement/physical development milestones.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
WHO recommends two years or longer.

Humans evolved to breastfeed for 5-6 years, but some of our ancestors had more reproductive success weaning earlier because breastfeeding suppresses ovulation in some women. Don't expect breastfeeding to be 100% effective birth control, though. Use condom.

Why wean at one year? It's a cultural choice. In some cultures, breastfeeding to 5 years is completely normal.

Refrigeration and other technologies have allowed us to use the milk of non-humans to sustain our children

Children will typically wean themselves between 2-7 years. Personally, I've found that breastfeeding is the best way to keep the kid still when I'm reading to him. Unlike a pacifier, breastfeeding helps align the teeth and reduces the chance that the kid will need braces later. Breastfeeding, like a pacifier, provides comfort, and comfort is essential to brain development. There are lots of ways to comfort a child, but breastfeeding is a good biological default. I've been keeping track of my kid's brain development with the CDC's milestones list, and the only milestones on the 5-year list I still have to look forward to are the movement/physical development milestones.

Frankly, I have zero opinion on breastfeeding other than that I am certain that for those with no form of barrier to doing so, breastfeeding is better than infant formula. Haven't researched it enough to form an opinion beyond that.
Maybe if the information in nonfiction books wasn't so excessively scarce and vague, and the information online wasn't so mixed with misinformation, I would have an opinion beyond my initial muted surprise. Leaning towards thinking you're right on that, given your large body of research promptly shared, though I know my mom researches things thoroughly too...
I have little stake in this for a good, long while, so I'll leave this topic and science up to people like you, K5, who have actually researched breastfeeding already.

K5Rakitan

Frankly, I have zero opinion on breastfeeding other than that I am certain that for those with no form of barrier to doing so, breastfeeding is better than infant formula. Haven't researched it enough to form an opinion beyond that.
Maybe if the information in nonfiction books wasn't so excessively scarce and vague, and the information online wasn't so mixed with misinformation, I would have an opinion beyond my initial muted surprise. Leaning towards thinking you're right on that, given your large body of research promptly shared, though I know my mom researches things thoroughly too...
I have little stake in this for a good, long while, so I'll leave this topic and science up to people like you, K5, who have actually researched breastfeeding already.
Indeed! Some of those barriers can be removed and some can't. It's very common for human mothers to need help with breastfeeding. We went through some dark ages with aggressive advertising from formula companies, but things are improving. When we showed up at the pediatrician's office and my kid was 15% below his birth weight because my milk hadn't come in yet, I was devastated and mentioned how my mom couldn't directly breastfeed me. The pediatrician made me feel a lot better by saying, "This isn't 30 years ago." (My second thought was oh shit, I am actually over 30) She proceeded to give me a routine to build up my milk supply while supplementing with formula, and we were all done with the formula by six weeks. We used less than two cans of the stuff. She put my husband on bottle duty so I could focus on expressing milk, too. Postpartum is rough, and I'm thankful I had some help with that!

I gave my mom "Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent" when my kid was tiny, and she came to realize that nobody taught her how to get a good latch. I, on the other hand, was visited by a lactation consultant in my postpartum room. I got four months of expressed breastmilk supplemented with formula because the pediatrician told my mom that would be enough to get the antibodies, but more recent research keeps showing that longer is better.

On latch, if you have large breasts, you may need to use a sandwich hold, also called a C-hold or a U-hold, and that means horrible hand cramps in the first few weeks. When the kid's mouth gets bigger and stronger, that's no longer necessary, and the kid gets really wiggly, too. It was at 7 months when I realized I could just lie on my back and use my hands to hold a book to read to the kid instead of holding my breasts.