The most underrated fantasy/medieval weapon...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

I know you're talking about bows. Bows show up quite frequently as weapons used by side characters. The question was not the most effective medieval weapon. If it was, I'd be backing you all the way on bows. However, since the question was "underrated," I gotta stick with military pick. As I said, you don't even see side characters using them.
WIll take note of this. Thanks for the answer!

Generik0

If by Western

-War Scythe(Might not be underrated but rarely seen these)
-Military Fork(Just a fork)
-Falchion
-Horseman's Pick

If by Eastern

-Tonfa
-Hook Sword
- Chakram
-Dadao
-War Fan( Maybe I don't know
-Ono

Last edited:

Jemini

hmm...
quarter staff, non magical variety.

a close second would be a dog. a plain o'dog.

third... Chakram

fourth equal kusarigama and swordsbreakers, trident variety or just serration

Ok, gotta respond because I saw you mention Chakram. Are you talking about the gripped variety or the throwing weapon variety? Either way, I don't really think either one of those are all that effective as a military weapon. They are just used by some of the weird tribes in India who also use Urumi. One of the most dangerous swords ever made. And by dangerous, I mean to the person wielding it almost more so than the person on the receiving end.

Last edited:

Suryae

Dismembered
cuz they dont make good melee weapons. i mean its been done historically. But if you have even just a knife, that'd be way better. Soldiers who would use a bow usually wont be that close to the battle either if your designation was an archer. So not as many reasons to even get so close you have to use melee at all.

It will work in a pinch tho for sure. Especially a long bow.
I watched one of Skallagrim's video over on YouTube about bow as melee weapon and while I scrolled down in the comments, I've found a link to a translation of a recount of a Spanish expedition on the New World.

According to the comment, one of the Conquistadors were facing an archer in melee and his swings with his unstrung bow was powerful enough to bent their plate armour.

By the way, the aforementioned archer were from Florida, so probably less about bow being good melee weapon and more about Conquistadors facing Florida man.

Either way, I don't really think either one of those are all that effective as a military weapon. They are just used by some of the weird tribes in India who also use Urumi.
Sorry I misunderstood, I didnt realize there could be a wrong answer to underrated weapons...:blob_cringe::blob_no:

fixed it :blob_wink:

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
[1] Dacian Falx, which decimated the Romans.
[2] Halberds/Pole-arms which dominated medieval battlefields
[3] Sword and Buckler combination, alternatively, Sword and Dagger (espada y daga) which were used for close quarters combat (like on ships), rather than battlefield combat
[4] Cudgels
[5] Morning Stars/Maces/War-Picks/Military Picks
[6] Two-handed flails
[7] Proper use of two handed swords, or just swords for that matter.
[8] Proper use of shields
[9] Slings/Javelins/Pilum/Atlatl/Bows/Projectiles in general

wooden log, like this guy

and i think it'd be cool if someone used shield as a super-offensive weapon

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
'-'
Slingshot, flail, bo, sai, kunai(?), hammer, and club.

X

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
wooden log, like this guy

and i think it'd be cool if someone used shield as a super-offensive weapon

In reality, shields actually were used as an offensive weapon. They weren't just there to block or deflect hits. As for fantasy stories using them as such, I haven't come across one...although, my own story does use them as an offensive tool similar to a katar or cestus.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Greatswords. And I don't mean just a big sword like a long sword or a claymore. I mean a genuine greatsword. Like this.

You would think something so eyecatching would be EVERYWHERE right? I mean come on, everyone already loves swords...its the most common weapon of any self-respecting MC right? So why not...a bigger one? You see them in stories and groups...but its always the "strongman" of the group, rarely the MC.

Discount_Blade

I watched some video in YT and this one fellow discussed about the sling being one of the most underrated weapons in fantasy fiction.
If you ever read Brain Jacques and his Redwall series novels..wonderful books really. I'm an adult and still re-read them from time to time. Some of the best MC's in these stories wielded a sling. They are also the only books I've ever read with MC's using slings so....good one.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
People always take the knife ones lightly
But really I think the most deadly weapons are the short one like karambit, wakizashi, or a bowie knife. In other words, weapons that made for killing you directly. No fancy moves or whatever

D

Deleted member 29316

If you ever read Brain Jacques and his Redwall series novels..wonderful books really. I'm an adult and still re-read them from time to time. Some of the best MC's in these stories wielded a sling. They are also the only books I've ever read with MC's using slings so....good one.
Will check out on that one.

Discount_Blade

People always take the knife ones lightly
But really I think the most deadly weapons are the short one like karambit, wakizashi, or a bowie knife. In other words, weapons that made for killing you directly. No fancy moves or whatever

I second the bowie knife. I have one. Albeit I've only ever had to use it twice in defense of myself so it's probably collecting dust. But yeah def second this one.

Discount_Blade

Will check out on that one.
Each book is its own story though they share a world and if you read them all, you'll be able to piece together which goes before which because they all make subtle mentions of each other if you can catch them. Best ones to me were Martin the Warrior, Outcast, and Lord Brocktree.