Scribble Hub Forum

LilRora
LilRora
Technically it's possible in certain games, although realistically it's not viable. It's only the very best that can, and not in all cases.

In fiction though it's a common trope to have a game that's somehow more "real" than other games where you can exchange game currency for real world money. It's pretty stupid if you ask me, but authors use it.
Tempokai
Tempokai
You can do it in WoW. I remember the friend of my brother farming gold to sell it into real money. Too bad it was 10 years ago.

Also the korean MMOs are free to play mostly, and because of it whatever is desirable, there will be the demand, and supply will follow. Farming is lucrative but nicheest profession avaible, with small pool of money.
NotaNuffian
NotaNuffian
Unless somehow there is a physical demand, such as being a twitch streamer and a popular one, if not being a janitor is more likely to get you paid.

Getting paid while gaming is mostly a pipedream for 90%
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
:blob_neutral: Theoretically, yes. Practically, no. Just like real sports, it takes years of training and the right market.
Paul_Tromba
Paul_Tromba
Some people would play games for rare skins and items just to resell them at online auctions for real money. I know WoW and RuneScape were a few of the big ones.
greyblob
greyblob
it's still going. almost every mmo has gold farming. the most stable and lucrative example I know is runescape
NotaNuffian
NotaNuffian
Curious I am, is there anyone that use bots on farming? I mean, I know that the chinese farms exist in Diablo and other MMOs, but shouldn't there be bots existing?
D
Deleted member 54065
Back when MMOs are a fad here in the Philippines, gamers would make money by selling high-level characters to...err...easily-fooled players.
greyblob
greyblob
there are tons of bots but they can't be used for everything. boss fights and pvp zones of example.
BB_Tensei
BB_Tensei
There's people who RMT ingame currency, yeah. It's good for buying weed if you're poor, but making big stonks is a fantasy for sure. Any normal job pays more.

Mind there's this girl who managed to boost enough pvp accounts to pay for a boob job, at least. So there are exceptions.
greyblob
greyblob
depends where you live. if your currency is shitty enough, selling ingame gold for dollars is way more lucrative