Scribble Hub Forum

Queenfisher
Queenfisher
What???

:blob_blank:

Omg, noooooo.... Although -- I mean, whatever makes you more comfortable! But please don't let readers hold you hostage! It might severely diminish your enjoyment of writing your own story and you might cave in under pressure of fulfilling their expectations!

With time, it can pile up and petrify you from ever continuing with the story :blob_teary: :blob_teary: :blob_teary:
minacia
minacia
^^^^^^ Don't change it!!!!
Queenfisher
Queenfisher
I'm so sorry TT__TT.

Hope you don't feel too bad about it, though. If it helps you with the story in your belief, then of course it's fine. But if it's completely about diminishing your own presence and wants in your story...

That is rough. :blob_frown:

That said, I can relate to how trying to please the audience can feel. :blob_no: It is paralyzing in its own way.
ChronicleCrawler
ChronicleCrawler
Don't change it. Write for yourself first before for others. :blob_evil_two:
Queenfisher
Queenfisher
*was/is in the same exact position but has chosen not to give in to the readers' demands and is now low-key paying for it*

:blob_teary:

So yeah. I can relate. And I don't think you are entirely wrong in doing it. But still... it's just so heartbreaking. :blob_teary:
Lon3ly
Lon3ly
I ended up changing it but only because it was a minimal change and I feel like I’d sound mean if I went into detail about how they misunderstood and it might be that other readers made the same misinterpretation anyway so I just changed it altogether...

This reader in particular does tend to be nit picky like this so I think I’m going to take everyone’s advice next time...
D
Deleted member 29316
The more nit-picky a reader is, the more you shouldn't change it. Most of the time, their comments are affected by their biases towards something, and the moment you cater to them is the moment you lose your identity as an author.
Queenfisher
Queenfisher
You can just tell them "thanks for the advice! I'll think on it!" but not fix it straightaway. I usually let my stories lie for a few months before I do major edits on them. Time and distance allows me to see the flaws so much clearer. (sorry -- I have to cut this short due to character limit)
Queenfisher
Queenfisher
Later is when all such advice and even nitpicks can come useful. But not before. Before -- they can destroy all confidence you have for your current writing... :blob_teary:
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
Write for you and no one else. If it's like, an issue about clarity, or a typo or something that's one thing, but if it's more of a preference thing like you planned for one thing and they think the character should have done something else, if you're changing things, you're not really writing your story anymore. I've had some stuff like that, and I've tried to be nice and point out my intentions/reasoning to them.
D
Deleted member 29316
A lot of readers nowadays have no respect for authors and how they do things. If you know the direction and goals of your story, just ignore them.

As for me, I answer and explain my point to those people (but in a polite manner). If they don't accept it, then it's their loss.
Queenfisher
Queenfisher
It's actually an interesting discussion I've had recently in RL. About how the vast availability of reading material makes readers entitled. Because they feel that if the book doesn't cater to them immediately, then can always find another one since there are just so many...

:blob_hmm_two:

They're not wrong (they're free to go wherever), but it still feels a bit personal every time it happens, :blob_sweat:
Maple-Leaf
Maple-Leaf
Try to take enjoyment in their misunderstanding maybe? Like, snicker at how they'll react when they realize that it was intentional. Personally, if someone can't notice foreshadowing (if that is what you're doing) then I think you're doing a good job.
D
Deleted member 5560
My go-to response to these things is a straightforward comment + playful emoji to lighten the mood. A winky smiley or a nice chill :) always goes a long way to helping soften tone. Also... you don't owe them any sort of explanation. You can 'like' their comment, then move on! It can feel rude to not respond, but if you don't feel comfortable saying smthn... you're not obligated to say it.
D
Deleted member 5560
It's a shame you felt the need to change it! Even if it was something minor, it's your story. not theirs. Remember: not everyone has the same viewpoints and inevitably some people aren't gna draw the same conclusions from the same media. Just think of how much translating is giving explanation of cultural norms! Inevitably some people aren't gonna Get It. You're better off having faith in your own creative vision!