1°Chapter story prediction

Kouneko

Most times when looking for a new story we find something interesting looking, but on the first chapter u can predict everything of the series, plot development, content, type of characters, etc... Them your interest in the story die on the first chap.

I'm curious how u guys feel about it?

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
I wouldn't go far as to say I can predict everything, even if the premise starts off cliche.

You never know, author might be big brain

D

Deleted member 54065

You talking about what we feel when we drop a story on the first chapter? Well, nothing. Close the tab, then move on.

Nevertheless, I rarely drop works I pick up, since I read the tags and I'm aware that authors can turn things around a few more chapters in. It's what I do anyway.

Hathnuz

It's normal, I guess, especially when you've consumed many stories.

I also do this with mangas and even can predict whether it'll get axed or not.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I'd be extremly surpised if anyone could predict where my story was heading from chapter one. I'd be surprised if they knew after chapter 20. Even now, almost a hundred chapters in, I don't think many could predict what is going to happen next.
Except characters, thise are predictable. From chapter one you knew 100% of the first volume cast.

Kouneko

You talking about what we feel when we drop a story on the first chapter? Well, nothing. Close the tab, then move on.

Nevertheless, I rarely drop works I pick up, since I read the tags and I'm aware that authors can turn things around a few more chapters in. It's what I do anyway.
Not the drop act, but the process of try a new story but on the first chapter predict the train wreak coming before it's happening.

D

Deleted member 54065

Not the drop act, but the process of try a new story but on the first chapter predict the train wreak coming before it's happening.
Uh...let me clear this first, you mean the moment I pick up a story, read the first chapter, then for some reason, I already knew what will happen next and don't like it?

Well, I guess the feeling would be the same. Nothing, just the usual. Close the tab, then move on. Though, as I've said before, even though I knew what will happen next, I'd still give it a try for as long as possible. I'd only get turned off once the plot, and events, are repetitive, and the characters don't grow at all.

While some may disagree, I believe the charm of a story (as well as the skills of an author) doesn't have to be judged in the very first chapter.

I'd be extremly surpised if anyone could predict where my story was heading from chapter one. I'd be surprised if they knew after chapter 20.
Reminds me of the time someone in the SH main site commented that "Almost all of the characters have already been introduced" in my story. That was the 4th Chapter of the 3rd Volume.

Fourteen volumes in, and I'm still yet to introduced more.

Last edited by a moderator:

LilRora

Mostly formless
That's the problem I have with many romance stories. That the authors needlessly drag out the plot when we all know very well how the story will end.

Generally though things like that are unavoidable, unless we're talking about slice of life. The story needs something to keep it going, and the easiest and tested way is to outline a goal the mc will be trying to achieve.

It starts to be a problem if the author doesn't have enough patience to get some worldbuilding done before and outlines that goal in the first chapter. That feels flat and uninteresting, and I can guess the story will be of low quality if that happens (unless it's done purposefully and executed properly, but that's rare and instantly visible).

SailusGebel

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I'm a fan of the "end point expectation" from a first chapter. I've been reading a lot of web novels that start with a premise but you have no idea where it's going and it just keeps adding on things that don't make much narrative sense.

@Kouneko Anyway the female character with your name is in my story. The story is only on Ritoria for now though until I'm done writing it.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
I literally just don't care. I don't "predict", I just want to see what happens with my own eyes rather than just predicting where the plot goes. It makes me enjoy the plot even if it's very cliches.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I type "predictable" in my rejection notes, close the document, and open the next one in my slush pile. When I have about 20 or 30 rejections saved up, I copy and paste them into an email to my managing director.

Okay

The Bored but Lazy
That's the problem I have with many romance stories. That the authors needlessly drag out the plot when we all know very well how the story will end.
That's why avoid purely romantic stories. They're like horror movies. The MCs do the most dramatic thing possible, react predictably, and make me cringe.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
well if you can predict everything, that probably means you're reading something really bad....

so yeah, average webnovel do be like that