10K Views, what I have learned.

If your anything like me and spend entirely too much time and finger stamina refreshing your page to see number get bigger, you will understand my excitement at watching my views go from four numbers to five.

I wanted to share a couple observations I have made since I began publishing on SH after half a year on Royal Road. Everything I say is anecdotal and completely based on my very limited world view.

1. This is a much better place for non-litRPG/isekai stories. With a few outliers at the top, most stories that receive attention on royal road are one or both of the previously listed subgenres. I cast no shade, I devour stat blocks with the same hunger that a lot of you do, but it can be disheartening for those of us that don't write those kinds of stories. They are also popular on SH, but more traditional stories feel like they are given more appreciation here.

2. Readers are much more willing to engage. There are countless reasons why I may have experienced this. I could sit here and list out the theories I have, but in an effort to remain brief and and acknowledgment that I am quite dumb in the ways of the internet, I won't. My comment ratio between the two sites are nearly 10 to 1 with SH being the clear victor. The reading list gives a much more accurate picture at my reader base than the follow/favorite system on RR. The favorites stat has been gratifying since the first one I received. All of this combats the soul crushing, top heavy, black hole that RR can be for new authors.

3. Organic reviews are a myth. . .until they aren't. I believe this is a matter of scale more than anything. With so many other ways for readers to interact with a story and leaving a review requiring much more effort than other methods, the percentage of people that will review is quite small. A larger number of readers/views/favorites/ratings won't increase the percentage, but it will increase the sample size. Basically, big numbers = more readers, more readers = more potential reviewers. (I will update this section when I receive my first to see if my logic is correct.

4. Reaching the trending list requires a blood sacrifice or some other form of dark ritual. I don't have much to say here. The method seems to be mostly a mystery, but I do not see that as a negative. Don't worry about the list. There is no forced networking or timelines for what you have to do to keep your story from getting lost in the swill. Write, proofread, release. Repeat those three steps with a story you are passionate about and the readers will come.

That's it.

I owe all of you reading this and everyone that has read my story a big fat thank you. I wish you all well and hope the words come easy to you next time you sit down to write.

End of speech.

(Obligatory self-shill.)

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
This is a much better place for non-litRPG/isekai stories.
Yes. Here, GL is the clear winner.
Readers are much more willing to engage.
I think this is based on your own experience mostly.
Basically, big numbers = more readers, more readers = more potential reviewers.
Yes.
Reaching the trending list requires a blood sacrifice or some other form of dark ritual.
No. After reaching it many times I can come to a few conclusions, but the most sure way is consistency and interactions. Make sure to reply to commenters.

ThatTwat3000

If your anything like me and spend entirely too much time and finger stamina refreshing your page to see number get bigger, you will understand my excitement at watching my views go from four numbers to five.

I wanted to share a couple observations I have made since I began publishing on SH after half a year on Royal Road. Everything I say is anecdotal and completely based on my very limited world view.

1. This is a much better place for non-litRPG/isekai stories. With a few outliers at the top, most stories that receive attention on royal road are one or both of the previously listed subgenres. I cast no shade, I devour stat blocks with the same hunger that a lot of you do, but it can be disheartening for those of us that don't write those kinds of stories. They are also popular on SH, but more traditional stories feel like they are given more appreciation here.

2. Readers are much more willing to engage. There are countless reasons why I may have experienced this. I could sit here and list out the theories I have, but in an effort to remain brief and and acknowledgment that I am quite dumb in the ways of the internet, I won't. My comment ratio between the two sites are nearly 10 to 1 with SH being the clear victor. The reading list gives a much more accurate picture at my reader base than the follow/favorite system on RR. The favorites stat has been gratifying since the first one I received. All of this combats the soul crushing, top heavy, black hole that RR can be for new authors.

3. Organic reviews are a myth. . .until they aren't. I believe this is a matter of scale more than anything. With so many other ways for readers to interact with a story and leaving a review requiring much more effort than other methods, the percentage of people that will review is quite small. A larger number of readers/views/favorites/ratings won't increase the percentage, but it will increase the sample size. Basically, big numbers = more readers, more readers = more potential reviewers. (I will update this section when I receive my first to see if my logic is correct.

4. Reaching the trending list requires a blood sacrifice or some other form of dark ritual. I don't have much to say here. The method seems to be mostly a mystery, but I do not see that as a negative. Don't worry about the list. There is no forced networking or timelines for what you have to do to keep your story from getting lost in the swill. Write, proofread, release. Repeat those three steps with a story you are passionate about and the readers will come.

That's it.

I owe all of you reading this and everyone that has read my story a big fat thank you. I wish you all well and hope the words come easy to you next time you sit down to write.

End of speech.

(Obligatory self-shill.)

I would recommend using the insights and global distribution of views in your stats to decide upon a publishing schedule.

wresch

Always good to hear from someone who made it big. Thanks for listing your insights. My numbers are still three digits, but that still represents a large number of readers who gave my words a chance. I also give SH credit for good feedback. Not just gross numbers. I can look at the chapter list and see eyeballs for each - and hearts. Like most people, I get few reviews, but the numbers are giving me useful information. I am happy I found this venue.

Attachments

• Kayli-Unknown-original.jpg
    Kayli-Unknown-original.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 9
I would recommend using the insights and global distribution of views in your stats to decide upon a publishing schedule.
Most of my readers are from the U.S.

As far as figuring out what time is best, I'm not sure what to do there other than release a different times and stick with what works.
Yes. Here, GL is the clear winner.

I think this is based on your own experience mostly.

Yes.

No. After reaching it many times I can come to a few conclusions, but the most sure way is consistency and interactions. Make sure to reply to commenters.
I see, thanks for the advice!

Also, vampires are literally my favorite thing in fiction so I plan on checking out your work sooner rather than later!
1 Is objectively true. 2 and 3 depends on your luck. 4. Keep writing. I forgot the title, but there was one novel that bruteforced its way into the trending. Author wrote around 200 chapters and had a small number of views before they hit the trending.
I write too slow to brute force anything. If I ever make on trending, I'll share what I learn then.
This was the bestest post that I have ever read from someone new in here. :blob_teary: I love you and the fact you are down to earth. :meowsip::blobsip:
Your going to make me cry, thank you!

Reading through your tip jar now, lots of good stuff.
Always good to hear from someone who made it big. Thanks for listing your insights. My numbers are still three digits, but that still represents a large number of readers who gave my words a chance. I also give SH credit for good feedback. Not just gross numbers. I can look at the chapter list and see eyeballs for each - and hearts. Like most people, I get few reviews, but the numbers are giving me useful information. I am happy I found this venue.
I had gotten fairly down about my stories performance on RR. Coming here and finding a place that appreciates my work has made it that much easier to continue. Good luck!

Last edited:

ThatTwat3000

Most of my readers are from the U.S.

As far as figuring out what time is best, I'm not sure what to do there other than release a different times and stick with what works.

I see, thanks for the advice!

Also, vampires are literally my favorite thing in fiction so I plan on checking out your work sooner rather than later!

I write too slow to brute force anything. If I ever make on trending, I'll share what I learn then.

Your going to make me cry, thank you!

Reading through your tip jar now, lots of good stuff.

I had gotten fairly down about my stories performance on RR. Coming here and finding a place that appreciates my work has made it that much easier to continue. Good luck!
If they’re American, do it around the time lunch is for all the time zones in the U.S.

SailusGebel

That story didn't upload 200 chapters overnight. It was a long process. My bad for wording it badly. By bruteforcing I meant consistency. If you stay consistent and upload for a long time, you will get there eventually. Good luck with your writing.

If they’re American, do it around the time lunch is for all the time zones in the U.S.
10-4, Thank you!
That story didn't upload 200 chapters overnight. It was a long process. My bad for wording it badly. By bruteforcing I meant consistency. If you stay consistent and upload for a long time, you will get there eventually. Good luck with your writing.
Do frequency of uploads effect anything? I've been working towards adding a third release per week for awhile now.

SailusGebel

Do frequency of uploads effect anything? I've been working towards adding a third release per week for awhile now.
Depends on your chapter length. If chapters are 1k words or less try to upload more frequently, 3.5k or more, less frequently. Between 1k and 3.5k? It's hard to pinpoint the ideal frequency. A lot of people, me included, consider 3-4 chapters a week to be the best frequency. But it is important to not get burnt out by it.

Depends on your chapter length. If chapters are 1k words or less try to upload more frequently, 3.5k or more, less frequently. Between 1k and 3.5k? It's hard to pinpoint the ideal frequency. A lot of people, me included, consider 3-4 chapters a week to be the best frequency. But it is important to not get burnt out by it.
My chapters range from 2.5k-3.5k and occasionally are a bit longer. Sounds like adding a release is the way to go.

KonoKei

That's it.

End of speech.

(Obligatory self-shill.)

Careful with that refresh button. Look at your statistics. The chapter views is what you're interested in. If you keep refreshing your page I believe it skews the data.

Here's your stories statistics:

Total Views (All):10,395
Total Views (Chapters):2,927

Compare that with my story that has around 6k views

Total Views (All):6,530
Total Views (Chapters):3,446

And for our final piece of data, a random story from the trending with ~1million views

Total Views (All):983,185
Total Views (Chapters):851,275

The most important metric for engagement is how many read your last few chapters, as those are the ones that actually read your story. You can find this in the table of contents section of your create page.

But the most important metric of all is how much you enjoy writing, so keep it up!

Careful with that refresh button. Look at your statistics. The chapter views is what you're interested in. If you keep refreshing your page I believe it skews the data.

Here's your stories statistics:

Total Views (All):10,395
Total Views (Chapters):2,927

Compare that with my story that has around 6k views

Total Views (All):6,530
Total Views (Chapters):3,446

And for our final piece of data, a random story from the trending with ~1million views

Total Views (All):983,185
Total Views (Chapters):851,275

The most important metric for engagement is how many read your last few chapters, as those are the ones that actually read your story. You can find this in the table of contents section of your create page.

But the most important metric of all is how much you enjoy writing, so keep it up!
Very informative, thank you!