A question for those who read bl and gl, why?

• Thread starter Deleted member 139452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 139452

I've been wondering this for a while but what exactly makes the BL genre appealing to female readers (or gl genre for male readers )despite they themselves not being men(or women in case of gl)

Feylin

for me, i just like the art style (i read bl in manga or manhwa)

Verdante

I read them both. I read BG/GB also as long as the romance is good 👍

LilRora

Mostly formless
I answered a very similar question once. I think it was on "why do so many women write bl?".

Oh, found it.

I think it's pretty logical. If anyone is going to write boy's love, it's gonna be someone who likes them, with rare exceptions. Men are liked mostly by straight women and gay men, and it's obvious who's more numerous.

Also I'm fairly sure many women write BL because it's just a fun distraction. People can be roughly split into two groups, one that reads what they like that's related to their situation, and the other that treats reading as a way to distance themselves from their problems, or even just daily life. Not necessarily with problems, just to take their minds off things. Many authors do the same thing.

I was talking mostly about writing not reading there, but the essence of the answer is the same whether it's about reading or writing.

Here's the thread if you want to look it up: A question for BL authors.

doravg

109/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
I can't speak about GL, but BL has something that is rarely found in GB: A power dynamic. Both characters are not made from mush, and they behave so. They also tease each other more. First buddies, and then, you know...

TotallyHuman

I can't speak about GL, but BL has something that is rarely found in GB: A power dynamic. Both characters are not made from mush, and they behave so. They also tease each other more. First buddies, and then, you know...
funnily enough, this is exactly why I prefer gl over bl and bg. No power dynamics and gender roles make way for more interesting stories for me

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
Because honestly, it seems like the authors of the BL and GL genres put more effort into their characters and stories. I mean sure, you get tropes being repeated and some that are just good trashy fun, but generally they are more interesting, and more reasonable.Try reading 'regular' romance? It's harder to find those where the guy isn't a self made alpha ceo at age 25, who is also a billionaire(cause millionaires don't cut it anymore), who somehow still has time for getting the perfect gym body. Who then falls in love with the virginal frycook or cashier and sweeps her off her feet. And remember, it's sexy, not a red flag at all that he wants to keep her at his side at all times, drags her away from everything she knew and dump her into his high-class world....
Rant over....

doravg

109/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
funnily enough, this is exactly why I prefer gl over bl and bg. No power dynamics and gender roles make way for more interesting stories for me
To each his own. Maybe I like BL so much because I love the idea of bromance and frenemies.

sanitylimited

Can confirm. Basically everyone in our country is a millionaire, cause a million in our country's currency is like 50 bucks.
it's amazing that money still has any value. humanity really went all in on the scheme